Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Zero 8 (sound quality)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Digital Recording and Mixing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
subterFUSE

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 12:23 pm    Post subject: Zero 8 (sound quality) Reply with quote

Just picked up my new Zero 8 to use for DJing with Ableton Live and vinyl.

My previous setup was an Allen & Heath Xone 62 mixer, M-Audio Firewire Audiophile soundcard for my laptop and an Evolution UC-33e midi controller.

From the first moment I hooked up my Zero 8, I noticed that the sound quality from this thing is very different compared to my A&H mixer. The bass response is just a little too flat. If I turn the bass EQ knob on the Zero 8 up slightly past the center detent position then I get the sort of bass levels I am used to hearing from my previous setup. But when the EQ is at 12 o'clock, the sound is just too thin. Not enough bass at all. And the highs are too harsh. I'm used to the warm, pleasant sound of my Allen & Heath.

This is an annoyance to me because I don't like mixing with EQs boosted. Doing this often leads to clipped signals, and overly bass-heavy recordings. There's nothing wrong with my music sources, because I've used them before with great results. The problem is the output device, which in this case is my Zero 8.

Nothing else in my setup has changed. I'm using the same monitors. KRK V6 on the booth output, and Mackie SRM-450 speakers on the master. The sound gets very loud, and sounds pretty good. It just lacks that little bit of presence in the bass. Some of the songs I'm used to hearing now sound completely different, with basslines that now can't be heard.

What can I do about this? Is there a setting I can change which will boost the bass output slightly? Should I purchase an external EQ to boost the bass signal from the Zero 8 before it goes to my monitors? I do not want to have to boost my EQs on the Zero 8 while playing, because this would adversely affect my recordings in Ableton. Like I said, I know that my music sources are fine.
Cj Vega

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 4:56 pm    Post subject: Same here! Reply with quote

Hi,

I also cross-graded from a XONE 3D!
In my opinion there are to much issues to be fixed in the ZERO 8.
It seams that the V1.05 is probably the b0.105!!!

I sincerely hope that KORG releases a firmware upgrade at least to correct the most annoying BUGs the mixer has.

I believe KORG will not let us down!

Cheers,

Cj
subterFUSE

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was also one of the first people to buy the Xone 3D when it came out.

I had to return it after 4 days because of too many problems. There was horrible noise because of some USB clock jitter or something, so they gave me the beta firmware before it was supposed to be released.

But even after that, the drivers A&H wrote would crash Windows XP every 2 minutes. Before that, I had never seen Windows XP crash before.

So I returned it and have waited more than a year for something like the Zero 8 to arrive. Now I have it, and the sound quality is a serious disappointment. Hopefully this is something that can be fixed. I really don't want to have to go back to my old setup, AGAIN!

To be fair, it is probably a hard task to build a DJ mixer with better SQ than an Allen & Heath. Those guys are really on top of their game in that department.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Digital Recording and Mixing All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: