Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How do you set up LFO Delay?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Craig Wilson

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:39 pm    Post subject: How do you set up LFO Delay? Reply with quote

On many synths there is an LFO delay time, that is, the LFO depth comes in after a note is triggered. How do I get this on R3?

Thanks!
sjaakeri

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Craig,

There is no delay on LFO depth as far as I know, but you can make a patch between one of the envelope generators and the LFO frequency.

Grtz,
Sjaak
Craig Wilson

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:03 pm    Post subject: Thanks for the response. Reply with quote

I see where LFO Frequency is available but there is no LFO Depth available to the Virtual Patch or even the Modulation Sequence Sad

On many synths there is a way to set LFO Depth (other than just the Mod Wheel) and allow a delay before the LFO Depth kicks in. I like to use this when I'm holding a note for a bit and can't get my other hand free to fiddle with the mod wheel.

This is such a basic synthesis technique, there must be a way to do it on R3.

sjaakeri wrote:
Hi Craig,

There is no delay on LFO depth as far as I know, but you can make a patch between one of the envelope generators and the LFO frequency.

Grtz,
Sjaak
dulcimoo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:48 pm    Post subject: Yup... Reply with quote

This is a basic thing that you should be able to do. Even my Kawai K1r and my SQ80's can do that. It's a major "oversight."
mc-3

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also missed this feature on my r3, but there is a way to create an lfo-delay by using the mod-sequence. Create a virtual patch of the lfo and its destination(filter cutoff, pitch, ...) but keep the intensity of the modulation at zero. Then you can use the mod-sequence of the timbre and modulate the patch # intensity.
It can take a while to figure out the right settings of the mod-sequence and I would recommend setting it to on-shot and set key-sync to timbre for the classic lfo-delay effect. With the mod-sequence you can of course also do more complicated stuff then a simple lfo-delay for playing solos without touching the mod wheel.

I hope this helps.
Craig Wilson

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mc-3 wrote:

I hope this helps.

It helps a lot thank you!! Best of all it works. I imagined that there was a way to do that but the R3 takes some different approaches than I'm used to.

It does take some time to get it right, but I guess it works like multiple break points. I'm going to have to spend some time with the Mod Sequencer!

thx again!!
dulcimoo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:16 am    Post subject: Yes but... Reply with quote

It seems very "expensive" in terms of something that should be simple but uses a lot of resources.
Craig Wilson

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:28 am    Post subject: Re: Yes but... Reply with quote

dulcimoo wrote:
It seems very "expensive" in terms of something that should be simple but uses a lot of resources.

I very much agree. I would much prefer the much more intuitive "LFO Delay" or even better, an LFO EG!

May Korg find it worthwhile to add that feature. It's available on many previous Korg Keybords, even the old DW8000/DW6000 (which also had ADSR's with Breakpoints!!).
dulcimoo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:56 am    Post subject: SQ80 ADSR Reply with quote

My SQ80 has two stages for the attack, two stages for the decay, and a "tail" on the release that would work OK as a "reverb" except you only have 8 voices and keep cutting it off. You can use the first stage on the attack as a delay. It was all part of the "cross wave" synthesis method. Polypressure aftertouch. - not bad for something old enough to drive. It can modulate the LFO volume (it has 3 per voice) but not LFO frequency.
The RADIAS can modulate LFO frequency, and using one of the modulation sequencers modulate LFO volume as well? I'm going to have to try it. And the RADIAS is so clean. All those knobs. So much under the hood. It's going to take me awhile to learn it all but I love it. Not as flexible as a real analogue synth, but in some ways much more powerful then any analogue I could afford! But mostly the RADIAS is so fun.
slammah2012

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:56 am    Post subject: Re: Yup... Reply with quote

dulcimoo wrote:
This is a basic thing that you should be able to do. Even my Kawai K1r and my SQ80's can do that. It's a major "oversight."

Even my SQ80's can do that???
Don't underestimate the power of your SQ80......
It has many features most synths don't have.....
The main being polyphonic Aftertouch and the 2 sustain modes for pitch bend( bend all notes/or/ only Notes Held) in the later, pedal held notes and releasing envelopes are unaffected by the bender whereas notes held are bended...
Every possible Modulation Source and destination is featured on that baby....
Currently running, Hammond M3, Yamaha CS80 + MM6, Roland JX-3P + Mkb 1000 + Vk7 + D110, Alesis Quadrasynth plus, Haken Continuum fingerboard, Korg Radias + Lambda, Ensoniq SQ80, Waldorf Blofeld, Creamware Prodyssey + B4000, Use Audio Plugiator, Arp Axxe ....and some soft synths.
dulcimoo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:17 am    Post subject: Yes I know the SQ-80's are powerfull. Reply with quote

The "only" was because it are not modern state of the art synth. I love the poly aftertouch, the way you can hold notes. It has a real analogue filter (not self oscolating however), and that you can switch patches with out a glitch. The sequencer is quite good as well. It is also very easy to program.
Craig Wilson

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Yup... Reply with quote

slammah2012 wrote:

The main being polyphonic Aftertouch and the 2 sustain modes for pitch bend( bend all notes/or/ only Notes Held) in the later, pedal held notes and releasing envelopes are unaffected by the bender whereas notes held are bended...
Every possible Modulation Source and destination is featured on that baby....

My old Yamaha DX7IIFD with E! does that pitch bend trick. Great for doing steel guitar! And poly aftertouch...ah, I can only dream about that, alas...

Just because it's old, don't mean it ain't cool!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg RADIAS / R3 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: