Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

microKorg SoundEditor Midi Problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg MS2000 & microKorg
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WaveDoctor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:04 am    Post subject: microKorg SoundEditor Midi Problem Reply with quote

Hey all, I've had my micro for over a year and it has become my main live synth. I am an amateur at editing the micro but a novice at MIDI.

Earlier tonight I installed the Editor and fumbled around to get my PC(xp) to see the synth and then the editor to read/open synths patches (a.11, global, etc.). When I found the patch Parameters page I thought I was home free and could then tweak the sound from my PC but found I couldn't. [I have a CasioCZ101 software patch editor that works this way and will save the midi patch to memory during editing, very straight forward.] But what I am running across with this editor is that I can not make changes to the timbre or save the patch settings to the Micro.

Here is the scenario: open editor-> micro is read-> open micro-> midi transfer msg window-> in My Device folder-> open patch-> edit patch/move slider-> *(no change in sound)* -> left click Write to Device button-> write device window: target a.11 OK button-> midi transfer window-> and then I get this ****ERROR MSG*** Can't Overwrite the Device!

On the Micro I did every step in the Editors set up instructions.

Anyone know what I am doing wrong or what steps I've missed. I haven't read the editor help manual yet. Is my error message in there? Anyone dealt with this one yet?

I really want to be editing and saving sounds for upcoming shows soon. Please throw any suggestions my way.

Thanx for reading
DrCreepy
kpatz

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll have to turn off write protection on the MK in order to write patch changes to it. Hit Shift and 8, and turn knob 1 so it says "oFF".

Also, make sure you don't have SysEx filtering on. Hit Shift+4, and use knob 4 to enable SysEx (E-E).
WaveDoctor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx for the feedback.
I have these settings already. In fact I've changed every setting and tested it's response and right now everything is enabled, so I think this is a little more complicated than a setting in the micro. I believe this might be an issue between the micro and the Tascam US-122 I use for my midi in-out and soundcard.
In the manual it clearly reads: "Some USB-MIDI interface devices may not be able to transmit/receive the microKORG's MIDI exclusive messages." And I'm thinking the US-122 is one of them and that sux cuz I think the 122 is the best soundcard I've ever owned.

So here's some observations:
After a lot of experimenting with settings I have discovered an interesting anomaly occurs when I have an arpeggiated pattern playing and I send a 'write to device' request. If the arpeggio is on and I turn it off in the program editor and then send the request: the micro will turn off the arpeggio and continue to play the note for 2 seconds (non-arped, kinda like a stuck note) and then revert back to a playing/on arpeggio and then the computer gives the error message. The Tascam's midi out led will light during these two seconds also, so I know now that the message is sent and received but the micro will not save the settings.
Also, I just noticed that the same "stuck note' and 2 sec led flash occur now when, in the patch editor page, I change the on/off of the arp while the machine is playing. So it's obviously sending midi changes but the machine is somehow rejecting them.

I will now scour every page on the net that references microkorg and us-122 and if I discover anything I will be back to post more.

But please keep the ideas coming cuz I'm sure I'm not the only person with this problem.

Thanx people

http://www.myspace.com/creepingthinge
kpatz

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used an M-audio USB MIDI adapter with my lappy and my MK with no issues. Maybe borrow one and try.
WaveDoctor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 11:11 pm    Post subject: micro and us-122: a no go!! Reply with quote

Hey folks!

I have discovered a bug I guess. When using a TASCAM US-122 as your MIDI IN/OUT with the microKORG SoundEditor there is a problem with the micro recognizing the control change messages and will not save the MIDI Data. After every possible configuration of the US-122 and micro's MIDI settings I was unable to make any changes to any patch in the micro. I took the advice of a friend (who happens to work at GuitarCenter, a sale for him) and purchased an M-Audio MidiSport 1x1 and instantly transmitted MIDI messages to the micro.

Summation:
microKORG + Tascam us-122 = HEADACHE!!

Is there a person I can contact at Korg who might know how to fix this bug or at least make it known to Korg and/or Tascam that there should be a fix for this?

Thanx
Theta / CReepINgthinGE / DJ Dr.Creepy

http://www.myspace.com/creepingthinge
Drop It And Drive

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been having a problem also,
i've done the SHIFT > 8 > knob 1
and the SHIFT > 4 > knob 4
and it still won't let me write to the device.

this is the cable i'm using.
any suggestions please?
would be much appreciated.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Midilink-Midi-to-USB-Cable/dp/B000M16S6M/ref=pd_sxp_grid_i_0_0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg MS2000 & microKorg All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: