Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KP2 Midi?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
r_i_c

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:22 pm    Post subject: KP2 Midi? Reply with quote

Hi,

real newb, here -

only recently picked up a KP2 which is brill

but mystified by midi tech generally - and noticed two midi sockets in the back of this unit

so i found a usb-midi cable and plugged the KP2 into my pc [xp]. nothing happens. xp recognises the usb cable/device, but nothing is being transmitted from the KP2 to the pc / pc speakers, when i input effects into the Kaoss Pad.

what am i doing wrong / not doing, please?

Confused

thanks,

Ric

ps, the usb device has three led lights on it, red, amber and green - and only the red is illuminated, which looks a bit meaningful, perhaps? Shocked
decrepitude

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not going to work. Very Happy

You will need a dedicated midi "device". A DIN (Midi) to USB conversion cable will be useless. There may be some software-only solution that works with a conversion cable like that, but I don't know of any.

This is quite affordable and will give you what you need to be able to use the editor:
http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Uno-main.html
r_i_c

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

decrepitude wrote:
This is quite affordable and will give you what you need to be able to use the editor:http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Uno-main.html

aargh! thanks, but that looks like exactly what i have?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-USB-TO-MIDI-Interface-Convertor-With-In-Out-Cables_W0QQitemZ320157847707QQihZ011QQcategoryZ123445QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD4VQQcmdZViewItem

Question

could it be that i have both dins plugged into the KP, and only 1 should be?

thanks again,

R
decrepitude

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure the Midi-Out from the KP3 is going to the Midi-In of your cable. Conversely, make sure the Midi-Out from your cable is going to the Midi-IN of the KP3.

Did you install some software for this new cable? Did it come with software? Have you downloaded the latest version?

Finally, do not put the KP3 in USB mode for editor work. Only use USB mode for simple file copying to and from the SD card.

Beyond that I'm not sure what else I can suggest.
r_i_c

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hI,

" ... do not put the KP3 in USB mode for editor work. Only use USB mode for simple file copying to and from the SD card. "

this may be the whole issue - i am trying to coax effects from KP2 into the pc: i am probably using the midi connection for something it just ain't gonna do?

"Make sure the Midi-Out from the KP3 is going to the Midi-In of your cable. Conversely, make sure the Midi-Out from your cable is going to the Midi-IN of the KP3. "

yup, i checked the din plugs, they are actually marked 'in / 'out' and are in the correct sockets

"Did you install some software for this new cable? Did it come with software? Have you downloaded the latest version? "

no software or anything, just the hardware ... nothing else arrived with the midi/usb cable? should i contact the vendor?

Confused

thanks,

R

ps - i am looking to pick up a small musical keyboard with midi, maybe i ought to wait and try out this cable on the keyboard? i have '0' knowledge of what midi can do, apart form reading about it on the web ~ the practical/creative side of midi is a complete unknown to me?

btw - the KP2 works brilliantly when i put music through it and out to speakers, by the line in/out method: i am over the moon about this pad Very Happy
decrepitude

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

r_i_c wrote:
.....i have '0' knowledge of what midi can do, apart form reading about it on the web ~ the practical/creative side of midi is a complete unknown to me?

http://www.borg.com/~jglatt/tutr/miditutr.htm

http://www.harmony-central.com/MIDI/Doc/tutorial.html

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%22midi+tutorial%22&btnG=Search
r_i_c

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

decrepitude wrote:
r_i_c wrote:
.....i have '0' knowledge of what midi can do, apart form reading about it on the web ~ the practical/creative side of midi is a complete unknown to me?

http://www.borg.com/~jglatt/tutr/miditutr.htm

http://www.harmony-central.com/MIDI/Doc/tutorial.html

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%22midi+tutorial%22&btnG=Search

yea, thanks - have read all the tutorials: have found MIDI listed on my soundcard and in at least two of the softwares i have been experimenting with. but what i can't understand is, with the electric paino keyboard connected to the pc - through the midi cable / software interface - why can i not record or hear anything when i depress a key?

this is a deep mystery to me Rolling Eyes

Ric
r_i_c

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry,

Quote:
~ with the electric paino keyboard connected to the pc ...

bit of a freudian, there?

Surprised
decrepitude

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look, I was trying to be nice and give you some guidance. But now, simply put - you're asking questions in the wrong forum.

Go here:
http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/

There's also a basic "getting started" forum here:
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=74

This forum is specific to the Korg Kaoss pad - and yes, it is assumed that you have basic understanding of audio and midi in order to best utilize this device. It is not a forum for questions like, "with the electric piano(sp) keyboard connected to the pc - through the midi cable / software interface - why can i not record or hear anything when i depress a key?"
r_i_c

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

with all due respect i base a lot of my creativity on 'cross processing' different instruments, just to see what happens? - and i fully intend to try this with the keyboard + KP2. i thought this was one of the ideas behind the creation of MIDI, that many different instruments can communicate creatively with one another? but as i say, i am just a newbie to MIDI tech: i think my learning curve just turned into a ski jump?

Sad

thanks for the faqs ...

R
Ruso
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

midi is easy, it's nothing but text or numbers which lets two devices communicate between each other... devices can pass note on/off messages, syncronise to each other via a time clock message, "turn" each others knobs and sliders via control change messages, read each others settings and pattern data as well as special stuff via sysx messages....

think of your keyboard on your computer(the one you type on)... the keyboard doesn't create text, it sends a message to the computer which in turn will receive which button you're pressing and react by drawing text at the cursor....

you CAN very creatively use midi to controll the kaoss pad, you can also use the kaoss pad to creatively controll your instrument through midi... in fact you can assign the x and y axis to turn a knob on your say synth if you set the message number correctly....
r_i_c

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ruso,

Ruso wrote:
midi is easy, it's nothing but text or numbers which lets two devices communicate between each other... devices can pass note on/off messages, syncronise to each other via a time clock message, "turn" each others knobs and sliders via control change messages, read each others settings and pattern data as well as special stuff via sysx messages....

think of your keyboard on your computer(the one you type on)... the keyboard doesn't create text, it sends a message to the computer which in turn will receive which button you're pressing and react by drawing text at the cursor....

you CAN very creatively use midi to controll the kaoss pad, you can also use the kaoss pad to creatively controll your instrument through midi... in fact you can assign the x and y axis to turn a knob on your say synth if you set the message number correctly....

would i also need a synth software to help my pc read the midi messages coming to it form the KP?

Ric
Ruso
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you'd need a software yes, it doesn't have to be a synth but it depends on what you're doing...

look into ableton live.
r_i_c

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ruso wrote:
you'd need a software yes, it doesn't have to be a synth but it depends on what you're doing...

look into ableton live.

sounds cool - thanks: how about Sonar 6, please?

R
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg KAOSS All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: