Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg not really serious about being a software dev[macIntel]
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Legacy Collection
View previous topic :: View next topic  

should the user pay for a MacIntel update of KLC?
yes
31%
 31%  [ 7 ]
no
68%
 68%  [ 15 ]
Total Votes : 22

max-pol

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:04 am    Post subject: Korg not really serious about being a software dev[macIntel] Reply with quote

Hello all,
I've been reading promises about the porting of KLC to the Intel Mac platform. I've had the KLC for quite a bit and despite happy about it, I could complain about the CPU ressources it needs.

on the mac platform, the arrival of Intel CPUs has helped quite a bit accomodating CPU hogs... but KORG has been silent for a long time and only recently announced to us a PAYING upgrade for a maintenance release that will only ship "in the fall". I mention paying because like many users of the original KLC offer, I currently don't have the dongle. It seems that we're supposed to get an update that uses the dongle, separately buy the dongle, and then maybe we'll get a MacIntel update

If Korg is serious about joining the community of music software developpers, there are a number of no-go-zones like paying maintenance updates, and IMHO Korg should pay attention to that.

After the release of various versions of the Legacy plugins, confusing users everywhere with their contents and the two different copy-protection schemes that go with that, Korg wants us to pay for an update that will have been over 9 months coming, and that promises no new features whatsoever.
Korg is being the typical "cryptic corporation": nearly useless website, in terms of information. noclearly accessible email address or online support procedure, and it seems closed doors decisions are made for stockholders, not users.

I'm just saying: I don't know if I want to remain a user. There are a LOT of excellent virtual instrument developpers around, and most of them are more responsive, have individuals with names and emails that the product website will list, have a clearer offer in the long run, and do not hijack users into buying something they don't need to get a maintenance upgrade that only allows them to continue using their product.

this rant was typed on a macbook pro that has been korg-software-free for 4 months now... it might just live to be free of korg product for ever, who knows...

yours
max-pol
loungos

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure about the cpu usage issue, but I completely agree about the time that Korg are making us wait for the Intel update. What Korg dont seem to get is that if they remove themselves from the loop for too long (i.e no updates), then we will have moved on. I have a G4 and a Macbook pro, and despite the fact that my Legacy works on my G4, I dont use it anymore because I need complete compatibility between projects. Its a shame because I love it (and I spent good money on it), but I am getting over it. Korg should take this seriously - I have been making music using my Korg X5D since about 1998, I only got my Legacy in November 2005. What a joke - I will never buy any new Korg software products again, no matter how good they are, it just isn't worth the hassle.
jerrythek
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi:

I can understand your frustration, but we have recently confirmed that our MacIntel updates for Legacy titles will be available later in September. We are in beta-test mode as we speak so things are moving along very nicely.

Sorry for the lack of firm information, but until we knew for sure we didn't want to give misleading dates.

Regards,

Jerry
Sergievsky

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jerry. I myself am more patient since I bought my MacBook Pro fully expecting software to arrive in a pain fully slow manner, and that it certainly has. I did it anyway since Ableton Live and Stylus RMX were quick out of the gate (main reason I bought Live).

But folks, Korg isn't the only company that is slow to port over software to Intel. Be patient. It is a big deal that an announcement was made, so at least we know it's going to get done, which is more than some other software/synths. As long as it's done right and won't cause headaches when it's released, I'll patiently wait...just not too long I hope. Cool
loungos

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerry,

I think I missed the announcement - all I have been able to find about this was the statement on the product page, where it talks about Intel Legacy not being supported and Korg will make an announcement on this page etc. Its great to hear that something is actually happening, and soon!

Appologies if I came across a little harsh, but I think its a culmination of frustration at Apple releasing products when software (apart from their own) has not finished development. I have wanted to upgrade my old G4 for about 18 months now and am desperate to get a good, full system up and running - because of a lack of info I thought maybe the Legacy had come to the end of its...um, legacy (sorry).

Thanks for the response - I have new hope!
parma

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerry,

I have the KLC collection (not the digital edition). Will the UB update require a dongle?
jerrythek
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

parma wrote:
Jerry,

I have the KLC collection (not the digital edition). Will the UB update require a dongle?

Yes it will. We have a dongle-based RTAS update about to be released that requires the Syncrosoft key. If you get that then the UB update will be free.

If you already own a Syncrosoft dongle from another app and have the KLC package then you will also be able to get the UB update for free.

So it's basically a free update that requires the Syncrosoft key, however you get it. OK?

regards,

Jerry
dave

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems to me that there's been a wealth of misinformation, confusion, and/or misunderstandings about this UB update.

Somehow, the impression I've had was that owners would be expected to pay for an upgrade for which they might have no practical use (RTAS - ProTools required) in order to be able to use their software on currently shipping and future MacTel machines.

Needless to say, this idea didn't sit very well with me at all since I own both the Legacy Collection and the Digital Collection and will, at some time in the future, be moving to a new Mac Pro.

However, if I'm reading the redoubtable Jerry's post correctly, it seems I was wrong. So let's see if I understand this correctly now:

1. If you own the Digital Collection, you already have a Syncrosoft key and your Digital Collection UB update will be free.

2. If you own the Digital Collection and the Legacy Collection, you already have a Syncrosoft key and both your Digital Collection and Legacy Collection UB updates will be free.

3. If you own the Legacy Collection only, you do not have a Syncrosoft key and your Legacy Collection UB update will require payment.

4. If you own the Legacy Collection only, but you also own another (non-Korg) app which requires a Syncrosoft key and can prove this to Korg's satisfaction, your Legacy Collection UB update will be free.

'Zat it?

Kind regards.
modular1

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so lemme get this right....

as a korg legacy collection owner with the ms20 controller using the au/vst versions on a macbook...

...i will have to pay out because the update because it needs a usb dongle from now on to make it work???

so this software will now require 2 usb ports as well??

looks like its going on ebay asap. any i will think twice about using korg products in future.

(i was thinking of getting a micro control too! not now...)
jerrythek
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

modular1 wrote:

...i will have to pay out because the update because it needs a usb dongle from now on to make it work???

so this software will now require 2 usb ports as well??

You've got something wrong here - the original Legacy Collection doesn't "require" a USB port... do you think the MS20-iC controller is required for your synths to run (like a dongle)? That's not the case. You can run your synths fine without any USB device connected, if you want to simply click on the onscreen keyboard or control them via a MIDI keyboard.

So this UB update will be the first and only requirement for a USB device, the SyncroSoft dongle.

OK?

regards,

Jerry
jerrythek
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To clarify, I have just re-read all the dialog I've had with Japan, and I may have made a slight mistake here. The code-only version of the RTAS update for users who already have a Syncrosoft dongle may have a slight/small fee involved. Then the UB update is free. I'm checking with them again to see if I made a mistake. I'll inform you next week. Sorry for the confusion and adding to it (if I did).

regards,

Jerry

jerrythek wrote:
parma wrote:
Jerry,

Yes it will. We have a dongle-based RTAS update about to be released that requires the Syncrosoft key. If you get that then the UB update will be free.

If you already own a Syncrosoft dongle from another app and have the KLC package then you will also be able to get the UB update for free.

So it's basically a free update that requires the Syncrosoft key, however you get it. OK?

regards,

Jerry
Sergievsky

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why did you decide on Synchrosoft? Especially since you'll be doing RTAS, PTmpowered and its plugs are all iLok. I even remember having both connected caused some serious problems (might be resolved already). Anyway, I really hope there isn't an extra fee for the RTAS.
hayashi
Korg Japan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to give you the simple answer.

- All UB updates require a KORG USB Key or other Syncrosoft eLicenser based dongle. (e.g. Steinberg Key)

- The dongle must have proper licenses.

- KLC-DE users get free UB update of KLC-DE.

- KLC-1/KLC-AE/KLC-MS20 users have to purchase the new license, currently they are comes from RTAS Option.

For example, if you have KLC-1 and KLC-DE, then you want to use them on Intel-based Mac, you have to purchase "RTAS Option for KORG Legacy Collection" at the moment. RTAS Option contains a KORG USB Key with an license.

We will start to release UB updates from late this month.

Best regards,
Masanao Hayashi
Korg Inc.
hayashi
Korg Japan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Korg not really serious about being a software dev[macIn Reply with quote

Here is an updated information.

We also plan to prepare a code-only (license) version of the RTAS upgrade for the KLC-1 user who already has a compatible dongle. The fee and the release date is not fixed yet. Please wait for the official announce.

Best regards,
Masanao Hayashi
Korg Inc.
modular1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jerrythek wrote:
do you think the MS20-iC controller is required for your synths to run (like a dongle)? That's not the case.

i know that...lol..

in plain terms..

using klc in logic pro as an au plug-in will require a universal binary software update only. this update will be free of charge.

yes or no?

thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Legacy Collection All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: