Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is it always too late?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
silverdragonsound
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't let anyone tell what you can and can't do. The minute you believe them is the minute its true. Your life is and will always be full of choices that you'll make. Make your own choices, its ok to seek advice but always make your own choices. After all you'll be accountable for them whether good or bad. If this is what you want, go for it and good luck!!
beanstalk40
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

19? you're 19? And that man thinks its too late for you? what a **ckhead!

Its never never too late... and in your case... its the right time...

Eric Clapton picked up the gtr when he was 17... James Michener wrote his first novel at 42... Mahatma Gandhi thought of Satyagraha when he was in his 50s...

...and i think i can safely say each of these dudes have left deep impressions on humanity...

C'mon man!!! Anytime is the right time!!!
XVampireX

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One little question on topic: I've been practicing quite a lot as of late, reading tutorials on the internet, learning to read notes, trying to read the rhythm with them. Still going to continue doing that.

Do you think it's the right time for me to decide if keyboards/synthesizers are the instrument I'm going to be using the rest of my life?

Let me just give you some background, I've tried learning on a guitar, and it felt awkward, and I also feel that it's not expressive enough. Drums are also not for me because they are not the kind of instrument, again, that I can express myself with. in my younger ages I used to sit down on this crappy keyboard and just put it all out, even though I didn't know how to play, I felt like I'm creating some melody. So actually what that old guy said was not even true cause it seems like I had a lot of musical development in me when I was a child. I just need to get this musical development to the next stage Smile

Anyway, my real question is if I'm ready to get the M3 so that I don't make any regrets as for what instrument I should be playing if at all... I can tell you that I feel really great when I'm practicing, heck, to be honest... I didn't feel so alive in my life when I practice versus when I don't practice. I'm a computer user, I bought one of the newest computers just recently because I wanted to be able to do more things on the PC. and now that I'm so into the keyboard, even the computer is not important to me, I almost stopped playing games altogether Smile

Anyone? Smile Thanks.
Brad B

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is NEVER too late to learn; It's all about passion and persistance. And you should go as far as your heart tells you.

The only difference with starting very early, and this applies to all and not only music, is that techniques can be learned (or programmed) more easily and efficiently because at that age there are no 'old habits' to unlearn and there are no other biases or influences that could interfere with learning. This is also a part of the reason why it takes longer to learn correctly at a later age.

Still - this has nothing to do with passion or talent; you can have either or none - be it very early in your life or later on.

Which means - it's NEVER too late to learn, and especially not if you are so fond of being busy with learning/making music!
hacksaw15

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started playing at age 13 and played and praticed everyday until age 20 when I realized that I was not going to be a professional organ player so I stopped and got a job. I worked and raised a family and now 30 years later I have retired and started playing again 3 years ago. I've learned more in the last 3 years than I did in those first 7 years. I listen better now I take better instructions I understand music in general better now. So I think it's a bunch of crap to think you have to be a to learn to play well.
shrike
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

XVampireX, just few facts:

1. there is newer too late to start creating music. I intentionally use the word "create" because playing and creating are two different things.

2. it's good to start as early as possible because of our physical limitations - when one start at age of 6 or 7, tiny elastic finger muscles develop in STRONG ELASTIC muscles and fingers tend to play more automatically with years, because they are used to move in ways impossible to untrained fingers. Now, when you start playing with 19 years old, your fingers already developed more or less strong muscles, but definitely not elastic. Now, they can get trained in your age too, but with much more practice then in the case described above. But it's possible.

3. There are musicians who play virtuously, fast and yet very inspiring, creative and enjoyable to listen to. This kind of musicians are the smallest group. There is much more those who play technically correct, but without emotions and those who play average but with strong emotions. So you don't have to play like the first ones - play nice and you'll be OK.

4. Please, do take in consideration to pay someone for private classes, to learn music theory and basics - scales, minor, major, chords etc etc. It is much more easier to play when you know what is going on. Music is math and if you don't know how to understand it, you'll never be good.

But most of all, don't ever give up. You can manage to be a fine musician - it will take more effort to you than to some child, but it is possible.

Regards, shrike
Warhawk

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:10 am    Post subject: Re: Is it always too late? Reply with quote

XVampireX wrote:
some fairly old person there (60+) told me that to start learning at my age is impossible and that I have no hope.

Absolute absolute garbage. Ignore that guy.

XVampireX wrote:

1. What would you do if you were me?
2. Is it really too late for me?

1. I would put that out of your head, then pat yourself on the back for keeping on trying. I once saw a fifty year old woman go from scratch up to grade eight in a few years, and I'm really not kidding. Practice and determination, and having faith in yourself will do it for sure.

2. No. Cool
Dr.InnoVation

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vamp, Composing music, playing music comes down to ONE thing no matter your age. Determination!!!!!

If you want it you can do it.
Pretty much if you want something you can do anything!
SoundClick Page: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=868853
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Music All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: