Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SoundTower Librarian and Live Gigging

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton LE / Korg TR
View previous topic :: View next topic  
guts86

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:44 pm    Post subject: SoundTower Librarian and Live Gigging Reply with quote

I don't know if this technique has ever been covered in the many posts about how to use the LE in a gig situation but here's a way that I found that allows me to easily move from song to song in a live gig setting. It may be fairly simplistic, but it's working for me so far.

I primarily use Combi's for most of my sounds. If I find that I want to use a single Prog (e.g. a piano sound that I like) I will create a combi with that sole prog and save it. I rename all of my combi's with the name of the song. Even if I use the same combi sound for two or more songs I'll use my SoundTower software to make a copy of the combi for each song. I try to save most of my song combi's on bank C towards the end of the list. But sometimes they don't always get saved there nor are they typically in any specific order. I'm not real concerned about overwriting stock combi's because there are so many that I know that I will never use.

I don't have my Soundtower sw loaded on this PC that I'm using to type this so I'll use generic terms when it comes to using the sw. Next I'll use my SountTower software and use the upload combi's and prog function to transfer my existing combis and programs from my LE to my PC. Next I'll open the full combi list in SoundTower and beging to drag and drop the songs starting in reverse order of the set list sequence. I use bank C and just work my way backwards on the list so the last song in the last set of the playlist is in the last slot on bank C in SoundTower. As I drop combi's into their place, the displaced combi is swapped over to the slot of the combi I'm dragging from. Once I have everything in the order I need I'll execute a transfer of all combi's back to my LE and they will transfer back into my C bank in the order I made them on the SoundTower. Now when I'm at a gig I use the up/down arrows or the wheel to move from song to song in sequence.

The one downside so far is when a last minute change to the set list is made at the gig because I don't have my PC. But even if the set lists change you can use this feature to keep your song sounds organized in one bank and in close proximity to each other so you can quickly access them.

Hope this might help someone.
MrsFui

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:13 am    Post subject: Live gigging Reply with quote

Hi there,
This post has really helped me as I was about to ask a question about moving between programs/combis in a live gig situation.

Is it possible for you to explain this technique in very basic step by step form. I am a beginner with using the Korg and have a performance coming up where I have ten different songs, and have chosen ten different sounds to use, but need to be able to scroll to the next one quickly, without having to type in a number.
Thanks so much
guts86

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My studio PC is not set up for internet and I know it will take me several days before I'll be able to get there with work and kids after school stuff this week. So, if you want to experiment a little the first thing you need to do is purchase and download the SoundTower software librian to your computer and then connect your PC to your keyboard via midi interface (I just use a simple MidiMan 2)

http://soundtower.com/triton/

Once the sw is loaded there are options in the menus that give you the ability to transfer combi and prog data for specific banks or all banks (again, I'm not on that PC so I don't know the actual names). But if you're able to be a bit intuitive as I was, you can figure this out pretty easy by hunting around the menu options. The info in my first post should help you do the rest. If someone else wants to chime in on this post and give additional advice, be my guest!
MrsFui

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again and thanks. I have a Mac computer, can I still connect this to my Korg? Haven't done this before and not sure what equipment I need to make it happen.
Is there any way of getting programs/combis in an order without connecting to a computer?
soundtower_helpdesk

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrsFui wrote:
Hi again and thanks. I have a Mac computer, can I still connect this to my Korg? Haven't done this before and not sure what equipment I need to make it happen.
Is there any way of getting programs/combis in an order without connecting to a computer?

MrsFui

Unfortunately we do not offer our Triton series sound editors for Mac platform as yet. We are working toward fitting this into our developement cycle but for now I can only offer my apologies.

By the way guts86 your use detail post was the best I have seen and greatly appreciated. It is nice to see our software used in live settings. Thanks.

Derek
SoundTower Help Desk
soundtower_helpdesk@yahoo.com
guts86

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks..I just got fed up with being frustrated with trying to figure out how to create those cue lists or song lists that would never work for me so I tried this method and it worked nicely. I only had one glitch with a midi file reading error but all I did was re-run the upload and download and I was good to go. I guess the saying should go "frustration is the mother of all software intuitiveness". Hopefully it will help some people with the ability to prepare for live set up.
soundtower_helpdesk

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrsFui wrote:

MrsFui

Hi again. I am just from a meeting with the programming department and I have news that they have started on the Mac version of the Korg series of sound editors.

I'll post new to the forum here on Korg Forums but I thought I would let you know the update on this thread since you expressed such interest.

best
Derek
SoundTower Help Desk
soundtower_helpdesk@yahoo.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton LE / Korg TR All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: