Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pa800 Which Hard Drive to buy? or ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa2XPro - Pa800 - Pa500
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sanjai

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dnj,

I am glad that you have youre solution.

But i was thinking why are you buying a 4/8 Gb thumbdrive if you can have 40/60 Gb 2.5 inch harddrive ?

I ask you this beacasue maybe i am missing something. I also tought about buying a thumbdrive but had to recall that dissision.

Regards,
Sanjai
paulgee

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to let you know I am quite happily using an 8GB USB stick. With a USB stick you can use whatever size you want, the PA800 is compatible with the USB2 standard which also makes it backwards compatible with USB1. So pretty much any USB stick is going to work.

I did quite a lot of research on USB sticks to look at speeds etc. There is a big difference between some of them. some are faster with transferring lots of small files while others are better with large files. Personally since I mostly want to put mp3 files on it I went for one that is good with large files. Some of the larger USB sticks can also be pretty large physically , so you want to watch that too.

I am very pleased with the one I bought, it is the 8GB Corsair Flash Voyager. It is not too big and gets good reviews. I paid about £45 on ebay (looks to be about $80 in the US). The blue and black colour also goes nicely with the PA800 Very Happy .

Do be a little bit careful on ebay with prices for large sticks that seem too good to be true. There is scam where the you supposedly buy an 8GB stick but really it is only 256MB or similar but reports to the OS that it is 8GB. You only realize this when the disk says full way sooner than you expected. By that time you have left good feedback. But if its a name branded one from a reputable seller you should be OK. I think the prices are not too much more elsewhere. For example Dabs do the Corsair one for £50 in the UK.

Personally I cannot see much point in fitting a hard disk, in the past I have used hard drives, but they almost always produce some low level of acoustic noise. The flash drive is going to be much more rugged and certainly not prone to head crashes etc. It also seems much easier to backup the flash drive.

Best Regards
Paul.
Dnj

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought an 8g thumb drive .....its works fine on my PC but not on the Pa800.....I loaded 1600 mp3's into a folder on my PC....when I tried to open them in the KB It only read 44 of them which play fine all others were gone......when I put the thumb drive back in the PC all songs were erased except 44!!! I tried this 4 different time Argggggg!

something is not right.....any ideas?
Dnj

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:50 pm    Post subject: Which Brand HARD DRIVES are compatible with the Pa800? Reply with quote

I dont want to make a mistake.....some dont work it says in the manual.
Arash

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently bought a hard drive for my pa800 and I must admit that was a stupid mistake that cost me about $200. I really have not found a function for it that I can not do with a USB stick. Unless there is a use beside the storage, I don't see any other use for it. I also placed an order for the MP3 board with Synthplanet in Belgium. These guys are the biggest Assholes one can imagine. They assured me that they had it in stock befor I ordered. The minute they took my credit card info, they send me an e.mail telling me that the item was on back order. They refused to give me a shipping date and when pressed, they cancelled my order and charged me $54.00 for I don't know what. For those of you in USA, the company for buying MP3 is www.audioworksct.com phone (203)867-1133. They should have it by sept. 26 or 27.
paulgee

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Which Brand HARD DRIVES are compatible with the Pa800? Reply with quote

Dnj wrote:
I dont want to make a mistake.....some dont work it says in the manual.

Does this statement refer to a USB stick, I must admit I couldn't see any reference to this when I searched the manual (I searched for 'not work' and also 'usb').

As I said in my earlier post I had no problems with the 8GB Corsair Voyager. I have about 400 files in a single directory.

I expect it is unlikely, but is it possble you have bought one of the rogue devices I described above, this could easily give that kind of symptom. After you have seemingly copied all the files to the device and before you put it in the PA800 are you able to play one of the files on the device that seems to disappear?

Have you tried formatting the device on the PA800 before using it (although I have to admit I didn't need to do this)?

Are the files in the root directory of the device? If so you could try putting them in a sub-directory.

A long shot, but are there any odd characters or extremely long files names that could be giving the PA800 a hard time. I know I had problems with songbook entries that were referencing some strange MP3 filenames.

Good Luck
Paul.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa2XPro - Pa800 - Pa500 All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: