Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is M3 build quality poor?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MartinHines
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dorremifasol wrote:
Korg must know that there are things that we don't like, it is important for future products. If we didn't complain, Korg's future products may have even worse build quality.

I agree with the idea of providing feedback -- I just don't think people should overreact.

GregC wrote:
bkboyy, you should know that Japanese co's like Korg and Y have long ago offshored production and or assembly of keyboards to countries outside of Japan.

Japanese manufacturers like Korg, Yamaha, and Roland have some components and products manufactured in China, while some components and manufacturing still occurs in Japan. Theoretically the Country of Origin ("Made in Japan" or "Made in China") is supposed to denote where the product is manufactured, or where the product undergoes the most transformation (e.g. assembly of raw parts made in one country into whole product in a second country).

I would say that China builds products to the standards they are requested.
vEddY
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MartinHines wrote:

Japanese manufacturers like Korg, Yamaha, and Roland have some components and products manufactured in China, while some components and manufacturing still occurs in Japan. Theoretically the Country of Origin ("Made in Japan" or "Made in China") is supposed to denote where the product is manufactured, or where the product undergoes the most transformation (e.g. assembly of raw parts made in one country into whole product in a second country).
I would say that China builds products to the standards they are requested.

From what I can gather in my years of working with IT industry, you're not so far off, but it's not true that all of the problems are quality-related because they're made by this and this people and/or country as such. What people don't understand is that companies, in order to cut down costs, outsource most of their production to other companies. That being said, most of the companies almost operate on the assembler/system-integrator level. But the fact remains that there are some problems with QC and QA providing that different parts of some product comes from different countries because working conditions and other aspects (climate, humidity, temperature, quality of clean rooms and other stuff) aren't the same at any two production facilities in the world. If you were to take into account only those factors, you already have a difference in quality levels between various parts of a single product. For example, some companies in the IT industry use cheap XYZ capacitors on motherboards, while others (like Gigabyte) use more expensive, solid, Japanese capacitors and do their marketing based on that at the same time. It's not entirely wrong, of course, but it's also not entirely right.

This is an ongoing trend in the industry and you can expect for much bigger companies then KORG outsource their production to production companies that are specialized for production only. TSMC and some other companies are perfect example for that kind of business.

That being said, if I may say so, I have my own personal reasons why I prefer products that are produced/assembled in Japan then in China or Vietnam.

Just my 2c.

Cheers,
vEddY.
Personally? LPI. RHCE, RHCI, RHCX, RHCVA. MCITP 2008 certification done. MCITP Virtualization Administrator done. MCITP Exchange 2010 done. MCITP MS SQL 2008 done. MCT done. MCSE Server Infrastructure 2012, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSE:Messaging and MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure done. VCP5-DV done. VCI done. MCITP: Sharepoint 2010 Administrator done. VCP5-Cloud done. VCP5-DT done. VCAP5-DCA done. VCP6-DCV done.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
NuSkoolTone
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bkboy wrote:
in my humble opinion, korg made a very bad decision with trying to look 'radical' in designing this keyboard.

the tritons, trinitiys, even the M1 from the past had text silk screened outside of the button perimeter.

*SNIP*

korg m3 has a far far far worse chassis design than the previous workstations, not to mention its half-empty sound banks. people aren't thrilled to pay $2500 for this. I would honestly think $1700-1900 is appropriate for brand new M361.

Maybe Korg can issue some recalls and take care of these pressing issues.

BIG +1. I like the design, but it does feel cheap and after playing one I'm not surprised seeing the buttons wear. Other things will start to go too I'd bet. Typically you could grab a used board in a few years and it'd still be in pretty shape, with the M3 I'm not so sure.

They just cut too many corners on this board and are asking too much for it IMO.
Trinity2112
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the lastest on the buttons, Jerry??? Confused
Current Korg Lineup: Kronos 61, Oasys 76 · M3-61/RADIAS · Trinity Plus/HDR · 01/WFD · 01R/W · X3R · M3R · Wavestation EX · Wavestation SR · Triton Rack/MOSS · Z1EX · TR-Rack · Karma · D3200 · iM1 · iWavestation · iMono/Poly
Other Synths: Berhinger Deepmind 12 · iProphet · Moog Model D
Dearly departed: X3
Synthoid
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps we could apply some sort of clear coating to the buttons? Hopefully something that would not dissolve them!

Confused
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I expect Jerry to work on Global Warming
Very Happy
sparkie
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Synthoid wrote:
Perhaps we could apply some sort of clear coating to the buttons? Hopefully something that would not dissolve them!

Confused

Answer.. Thin clear acetate film carefully cut just a size smaller than the actually button to cover just the area of the lettering...They use this on cell phone displays to protect the screens. If enough people are interested I could have them professionally cut out on clear peel and stick film.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparkie wrote:
Synthoid wrote:

Confused

Answer.. Thin clear acetate film carefully cut just a size smaller than the actually button to cover just the area of the lettering...They use this on cell phone displays to protect the screens. If enough people are interested I could have them professionally cut out on clear peel and stick film.

I am interested. My cats shed too much and could use a coat of that film.

Plus my lawn and deck- too many dam leaves. Acetate film for that, too
sparkie
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
sparkie wrote:
Synthoid wrote:

Confused

I am interested. My cats shed too much and could use a coat of that film.

Plus my lawn and deck- too many dam leaves. Acetate film for that, too

Yeah and makes a nice raincoat too!!
Synthoid
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparkie wrote:

Answer.. Thin clear acetate film carefully cut just a size smaller than the actually button to cover just the area of the lettering.

How long would that last?

If it ever wears out.....you have a sticky mess to deal with on the keys.
sparkie
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Synthoid wrote:
sparkie wrote:

Answer.. Thin clear acetate film carefully cut just a size smaller than the actually button to cover just the area of the lettering.

How long would that last?

If it ever wears out.....you have a sticky mess to deal with on the keys.

The mylar doesnt wear out..I would say it lasts indefinitely..and it is very durable, crystal clear and very thin!! For instance, we use it in our business of restoring pinball machines. We put the clear mylar acetate over the artwork on pinball playfield areas to keep the artwork from getting worn by the hard steel pinball constantly rolling over it...I have never seen a mylar worn out on anyplayfield that has it installed! It can be removed also. There are about 75 buttons or so on the M3 and looks as though all are the same size..which is a plus!! I would say to at least put it on the most pushed buttons...or ALL! Anyway if a few people are game, 6 or so...I can have my brother program the Roland Edge printer we to precision cut out a bunch of these..and sell them as a kit form...say 75 protectors for I guess about $45 shipped in the US...or maybe 25 for about $25 shipped. I can make a sample one and put it on my keyboard and take a pic..if you like..
Sparkie
Synthoid
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparkie wrote:

..and sell them as a kit form...say 75 protectors for I guess about $45 shipped in the US...or maybe 25 for about $25 shipped.

Ouch!

I have a vinyl cutting machine.....that seems expensive.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott, IMO, relax, This is a non issue
sparkie
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Synthoid wrote:
sparkie wrote:

..and sell them as a kit form...say 75 protectors for I guess about $45 shipped in the US...or maybe 25 for about $25 shipped.

Ouch!

I have a vinyl cutting machine.....that seems expensive.

Just trying to help..I knew someone would complain no matter what price I stated...Expensive?? The material I use isnt cheap vinyl/...it is a special acetate mylar that is crystal clear..a 3M product.
Synthoid
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does this product come in sheets or rolls?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg M3 All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: