Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Oasys update 1.3, cant believe it!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
universal1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:41 am    Post subject: Oasys update 1.3, cant believe it! Reply with quote

Hi all

As i have been an owner of the KO i feel the need to say this. I have to say I am quite dissappointed that there is No sequencer update. Yes enhanced synthesis and moressounds is all good but I think Korg Made a big mistake here. Firstly the arguments as to why the sequencer was so over looked in the first place is coz Korg were concentrating on the Sounds and yes that is agreed upon and most of us can understand this. But surely there can be no excuse now? We're now talking two years on...

Its not just about the sounds any more or new synthesis, We all know Korg Oasys sounds good so why not concentrates what users have been crying out for?? It's as though Korg have totally ignored this. THis is One reason why i just sold my sold my Korg oasys, the Sequencer is seriously Dated and i mean seriously dated! when is there gonna be a change? 2010?? i think having a great sounding Board and the having the poorest sequencer is beyond me and to make matters worst after 2 years still no upgrade.

Many people hav spoken about how well the integration is as an all in one instrument and glitch free etc.. Well i can certainly tell you i had many strange problems with the audio. and when recording audio alongside midi tracks there were strange things happenning. sometimes i'd press play and the drums wud start playing with some kind of a flange effect then when i pressed reset all would be ok again. this happend time and time again and it ws so frustrating. now this never happend to me on my old roland 8 track recorder or even on my pc using logic or cubase.

I just fear in th light on upper coming technology and and the power of pc's and macs the the ever so powerful cpu's and receptors of the world, Korg oaysy looks to me outdated even with the update of sounds. Secondly what annoyed me about the oasys is there is No computer interaction, i cant believe this, in a top of the range £5k Board.

I feel there shuld be a korg oasys 2, coz i know the hardware cannot be changed. Personally i dont think 2.8 northwood cant cut it , especially when u got many audio tracks running with midi tracks, it just hasnt got the power. I think we'er into quad core now korg? hello?? IMHO An uprgrade to k O2 and a massive overhaul on the seq would then make the Oasys not so outdated.

universal1
tritex4
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sequencer issue is an old one. For now, the sequencer engine is what it is, and I don't see that it will be revised for at least 2 or 3 years. I do know that Korg is listening to user complaints. One day they will put out a new workstation with a better sequencer. That could be 2, 3, 5 years down the road. One thing I do know is that if sales are not what they're expected to be on the M3 and future projects, partly due to users being turned off because of the lack of a better sequencer and overall features, Korg will have to make some changes. The sure fire way to get a company's attention is to stop buying their products.

Regarding the OASYS, I don't think that anyone bought the OASYS because of the sequencer. Who knew that Korg would use a sequencer from the Triton line. We would have expected the sequencer to be really beefed up, but I don't think anyone bought the OASYS for that reason. People probably thought that for $7000.00, there would be a sequencer that could take out the garbage for you. The great thing about the OASYS is that it's not "more of the same" except where the sequencer is concerned. I think that there are priorities, when it comes to the upgrades. I think at this point Korg is pleased with the functionality of the sequencer. Any sequencer bug fixes will probably come in future upgrades, but don't expect to see any major additions to it, IMO, like that Triton V2 thingy that added more sequencer additions. That could happen to the OASYS, but like I said, I think Korg is pleased with sequencer's functionality in it's current state. Let's face it, there are many other things on their plate that needs to be addressed. The bad thing is that users are waiting and waiting and waiting to get problems resolved. If the wait was not that long, say about, every 4 to 6 months, users wouldn't get so frustrated. If a user waits over a year for an upgrade and the upgrade doesn't address a lot of the functionality issues, I think that Korg is kinda shooting themselves in the foot. The wait is not that much longer until we get a look at all that the 1.3 upgrade has to offer. Lets' wait and see.
MartinHines
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:45 am    Post subject: Re: Oasys update 1.3, cant believe it! Reply with quote

universal1 wrote:
I have to say I am quite dissappointed that there is No sequencer update.

But surely there can be no excuse now? We're now talking two years on...

For better or worse, Sequencer updates are not a priority. It would be nice if the sequencer was modified, but the majority of users (like myself) would prefer new instruments/sounds/effects over sequencer updates.

universal1 wrote:

Well i can certainly tell you i had many strange problems with the audio. and when recording audio alongside midi tracks there were strange things happenning. sometimes i'd press play and the drums wud start playing with some kind of a flange effect then when i pressed reset all would be ok again. this happend time and time again and it ws so frustrating.

Did you happen to submit any of these to Korg Support in your country so they could be investigated?

universal1 wrote:

I just fear in th light on upper coming technology and and the power of pc's and macs the the ever so powerful cpu's and receptors of the world, Korg oasys looks to me outdated even with the update of sounds.

If you use the specs of the processor as definition of "outdated" then EVERY synth and workstation by every manufacturer is outdated. The OASYS is a musical instrument, not just a bunch of computer parts.

universal1 wrote:

Personally i dont think 2.8 northwood cant cut it , especially when u got many audio tracks running with midi tracks, it just hasnt got the power.

This is incorrect. The OASYS supports exactly the number of simultaneous midi and audio tracks for which it was designed. To support MORE audio tracks probably would require a more powerful processor, but it definitely current supports its stated capabilities.

universal1 wrote:

I think we'er into quad core now korg? hello??

It isn't quite that simple. The OASYS runs on its own customized OS and runs customized software. This is not the same as a PC or Mac running standardized OSes and standardized software.

universal1 wrote:

I feel there shuld be a korg oasys 2, coz i know the hardware cannot be changed.

It will be interesting to see if Korg ever releases an OASYS 2. OASYS "1" was a pretty big marketplace gamble. I think many people (perhaps yourself included) have unrealistic expectations of the OASYS in terms of expecting everything be in there given its price.
domc

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martin, I disagree with you here.

Fine to speak for yourself - but I don't think you can talk for the majority of people. And nor can I. There are plenty of threads on this forum, where a seq update is a high priority item for many people (including myself) so I don't think you can realistically pretend that your opinion is the prevailing one.

All of us who care about a seq update are going to cheer the new EXis as well - and appreciate the deep synthesis abilities of this instrument - but that doesn't mean that people can't voice wishes about the seq.

My personal view is that because it is such an integral part of the system, involving karma and the whole architecture - that it takes a massive rewrite of code to do this to a standard that I know Jerry and Dan would want for a new Oasys standard seq system and this takes a long time. In the meantime the US team continues producing brilliant EXis - but I personally hope that there is a big project going on simultaneously in Japan to update some of the ergonomic/seq issues which will come in with version 2.0 at some point.

There are a lot of people who care about developing these ergonomic aspects of Oasys as well and keep encouraging Korg to do this as well as EXis, EXf and EXs and I don't think you should be encouraging a view of readers of these forums that a seq update is a priority to only a minority of users.

I appreciate your informed views and helpful posts on most aspects of this instrument - but here I have to disagree.

Cheers, Domc
Octopus
Sina172
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Sina172 on Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
tonybanks

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

domc wrote:
Martin, I disagree with you here.
Fine to speak for yourself - but I don't think you can talk for the majority of people. And nor can I. There are plenty of threads on this forum here a seq update is a high priority item for many people (including myself) so I don't think you can realistically pretend that your opinion is the prevailing one.

The point is that probably is Korg itself that, in Martin's words, sees that
"for better or worse, sequencer updates are not a priority".
It's true that on this forum we read many people asking for it, but the complete figure of the what the market is expecting from Oasys' development is in the hands of Korg's marketing people.
I also believe that the "Oasys dream team" in Korg has a big WORD in what has to be implemented/developed .
Until the sales figures show that EXi and Karma improvements are successful also as "marketing tools" , IMHO, this is where the major resources will be addressed to.
vEddY
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Oasys update 1.3, cant believe it! Reply with quote

Sina172 wrote:

I couldn't disagree more! How can you POSSIBLY make such a CRAZY statement when we have SEVERAL topics based on Sequencer complaints ALONE?!
THOSE OF YOU THAT HAVE A SEQUENCER ALREADY AND/OR ARE MORE FOCUSED ON EXi'S, STAY OUT OF IT! THIS DOESN"T APPLY TO YOU!!!!!
I can GUARANTEE you, that if we created yet another poll on the Sequencer vs. EXi's, EXs, and EXf Expansions, the Sequencer WILL get the MAJORITY! PERIOD!
Don't kill the mood, here! We ALL know how HORRIFIC that Sequencer is! And everytime this issue comes up I get INFURIATED because IT"S ALL I"VE GOT AND IT'S F***ING HELL!!!!!!!!!!!

Dude, you're HyperThreadily HyperVentilating like curvebender Smile Come down, there's no need to do that much capsing and yelling, we all get what you want Smile

That being said, it's hard to judge what would get the priority on the poll simply because you can't know that - and not only that, but it's not like every OASYS owner in the world would take it Smile It would be a cool thing to have, but there are million different things that KORG could do with the OASYS so - they prioritize. FM-thing was a long-time standing request and from what I can tell, KORG really, really delivered - double-pump slam style.

Just my 2c,
vEddY.
Personally? LPI. RHCE, RHCI, RHCX, RHCVA. MCITP 2008 certification done. MCITP Virtualization Administrator done. MCITP Exchange 2010 done. MCITP MS SQL 2008 done. MCT done. MCSE Server Infrastructure 2012, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSE:Messaging and MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure done. VCP5-DV done. VCI done. MCITP: Sharepoint 2010 Administrator done. VCP5-Cloud done. VCP5-DT done. VCAP5-DCA done. VCP6-DCV done.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
peter m. mahr
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Oasys update 1.3, cant believe it! Reply with quote

Sina172 wrote:

But as for the MAIN issue here, I'm gonna say this and I'm ONLY gonna say this ONCE:

THOSE OF YOU THAT HAVE A SEQUENCER ALREADY AND/OR ARE MORE FOCUSED ON EXi'S, STAY OUT OF IT! THIS DOESN"T APPLY TO YOU!!!!!

wHY? is tHere NO other oPINIOn AllOWED?

pEter
curvebender
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sina 172,

You've damaged my ears.. Crying or Very sad
domc

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tonybanks wrote:

The point is that probably is Korg itself that, in Martin's words, sees that
"for better or worse, sequencer updates are not a priority".
It's true that on this forum we read many people asking for it, but the complete figure of the what the market is expecting from Oasys' development is in the hands of Korg's marketing people.
I also believe that the "Oasys dream team" in Korg has a big WORD in what has to be implemented/developed .

I understand that view Tony but it is subjective. My point is exactly that - it is subjective - and we don't know. Unless some of you Beta testers have a much better insight into the pipeline than the rest of us then who are we to know what Korg's priorities are - and how can anyone purport to represent the majority of views when a true survey has not been done, there's only a small subsample of owners who actually post here, and when the posting here has indicated no small interest in sequencer developments.

If my memory serves me right, there has also been some hints from Korg staff that they would like some improvements to the sequencer.

I wouldn't want someone who follows this forum to be put off because they've heard about issues with the sequencer and then read here that the majority of people don't care enough to lobby for improvements;
when as I see it there's a lot of people who are lobbying, there's small annecdotal posts that suggest that some part of Korg maybe doing something about it (but they will never now officially comment until something is released); and who knows - we may just see a V2.0 with an improved seq as some point in the future.
Octopus
Davidb
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

domc wrote:

All of us who care about a seq update are going to cheer the new EXis as well - and appreciate the deep synthesis abilities of this instrument - but that doesn't mean that people can't voice wishes about the seq.

I personally hope that there is a big project going on simultaneously in Japan to update some of the ergonomic/seq issues which will come in with version 2.0 at some point.

There are a lot of people who care about developing these ergonomic aspects of Oasys as well and keep encouraging Korg to do this as well as EXis, EXf and EXs

I appreciate your informed views and helpful posts on most aspects of this instrument - but here I have to disagree.

I subscribe all this completely, Domc.

And I cannot desagree Martin more, sorry, my friend.

There are, as noted, a huge number of threads about the Oasys Sequencer and almost the 90% of the Oasys users comments come to the same point, in a way or another:
The Sequencer need some inprovement.

And we all have to realize, it has not to be a complete rework of the sequencer engine, only an UPGRADE of what can be upgraded.
If the system does not support more tracks, its fine, the system and the resources are what they are and users will face it.

What can be and needs to be improved (and this has nothing to do with CPU resources, etc) is a better implementation of editors to handle MIDI and AUDIO data, more dedicated edit windows, piano roll, velocity, pattern and track, etc.
All this would make the workflow with the system up to date to other offerings in currently workstation sequencers, as well as currently computer DAWS.

The Oasys debate and the users request are there, and it will be in the future.
No matter how happy we are (I am indeed) with the coming of the 1.3 OS and what the new capabilities it brings.

Last edited by Davidb on Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:15 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
curvebender
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I feel there shuld be a korg oasys 2, coz i know the hardware cannot be changed.

Why do you feel this? Did you run into a brick wall while using the Oasys? Did you get stuttering, drop-outs or voice stealing? What did you do to max out your Oasys so hard that you feel the hardware in there doesn't cope?..

Quote:
i just sold my sold my Korg oasys

No comment.
billysynth1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Version 2.0 - but we are only up to V1.3 end of 2007 - 1yr to release
Version 1.4 end of 2008
version 1.5 end of 2009
version 1.6 end of 2010
version 1.7 end of 2011
version 1.8 end of 2012
version 1.9 end of 2013
and last but not least version 2.0 end of 2014?? lol You sure you want to wait that long? lol. Hey at least we get 10yrs out of Oasys

Is this right?? lol

Billy
I am a student of classical piano...I am not a classical pianist.
elvisjohndowson

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I believe we should make do with what is available and come up with a workaround so that you're more effective at what you do.

For instance, here's what I plan to do. Now that OS 1.3 has the ability to take phrases from the internal sequencer and convert it to a User GE, I will use the OASYS sequencer's pattern capability to make patterns for a song's drums, bass, guitar, strings/rhythm parts, and create a combi and program the Karma scenes for the song.

This approach is way better suited for live performances than statically sequencing the entire song onto the OASYS's sequence! You can vary the performance in real-time, plus have the ability to record your live performance onto the sequencer if you desire to do so. This approach has the advantage of allowing you to be able to experiment with your song's structure and sequence it linearily once's you've finalised it. Consider it to be you're creative scratch pad, if you will!

A really long time ago, I used to have a Roland D-20 and that had a really primitive sequencer with a two line, 16 char LCD display. I used to create the drum, bass and chord riffs on a Yamaha PSR-70, hook the two up via MIDI, set the D-20 to multi-timbral mode and play the PSR-70 in arranger mode and change chords with my left hand and record the MIDI data onto the D-20's sequencer and lay in the song's structure. I'd then go in an do a copy/paste or edit it (to correct minor mistakes) and then lay in the other tracks manually. You don't need a big visual display to do all this, you just need to visualize all this in your mind.

Now when I look at the OASYS and Karma 2.1, it's going to be an evolution of the process that I just described above, with the added advantage of being expressive, varied in real-time and without having to rely on the internal sequencer for live performances.

Every new instruments requires some time and effort getting used to. I am quite used to Korg's way of working (Combi, Programs, Sequencer, Karma, Effects, etc). If you put me in front of a Yamaha or Roland workstation, I simply would freeze and wouldn't want to subject my mind to adapt to Yamaha or Roland's way of working.

If I had no choice and Yamaha or Roland was the only company that made a workstation with great sounding sounds, I'd force myself to learn how to use it, after all it's the sound and the composition that makes it's way to the record. You have to learn the means to make it to the end objective.

Best regards,

Elvis Dowson
Kontrol49
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In respect of the Sequencer update,I take it that most Oasys owners,myself incuded have come from the Triton/Trinity camp,so the Oasys sequencer is pretty much easy to associatte with,so it was only a small or minute factor that persuaded you to not buy it in the first place,the Overall aspect of the Oasys sort of shadows out the increasing annoyance about the lightweight Seq mode.

that aside I think its pretty selfish on some users to assume that the EXis or or expansions are far more important than a serious Upgrade to the sequencer,What a Load of old tosh,Your happy to pay for more EXis,yet wouldn't welcome a better sequencer,what would be the point of loads of banks of Exis and programs,if you soon ran out of polyphony and sequencing capabilities,the Oasys is already restricting in its track count in the sequencer,so it not like a conventional PC whereby you can utilise as many Instruments as your processor would allow,Even if as someones mentioned the Hardware CPU is more or less old news How many idiots would buy into an "Oasys 2" The first port of call for many prospective buyers who bought the First model would be how good the sequencer is,and that would probably swing there attitutde towards it straigth away if Korg had no plans to do something about the Current Models,if they abandoned it before they had any conception to overhaul it,that would be the end of Korg For me.
How long can they just Keep throwing Sound expansions before the penny Drops

I have been using hardware sequencers for years,having gone through many different ones,I am however in favour of the Workstation ethic,sadly the Oasys needs something doing radically soon if its too hold onto its flagship badge,the Quality of the Sounds in the Oasys are superior to any other machine,and will hang on to that post for a long time yet,however the seq needs a serious overhaul like yesterday,more than it needs further EXis,I'm not prepared to keep trundling along with a bunch of Old synthesis methods in favour of the sequencer

Those people who say its not welcomed obviously don't use the Sequencer a great deal or have enough decent work values in composition to understand how s**t the Oasys is,It doesn't need to match the abilities of Cubase or sonar or the Like there are so many ways it can be improved without taking the presence of a software application..

Yes its all about how you wish to work and I'm sure with enough time I could do all the composing within the oasys,but the problem of it,is one of workflow,theres a constant need to exit pages to further screens and minimal operations are longwinded to manipulate which are so much more easily done on past sequencers I have used,infact even ones that only use a 2 Line LCD,The oasys has far more potential for graphical displays.

If any of you are in any doubt as to how diobolical the Oasys is,spend a week or 2 on something like the Akai MPC series or the machine I have the Roland MV8800,I can't beleive how pathetic the Oasys seq is by this standard,for years I had persevered with the Trinity and Tritons and Now the Big O,if it wasn't for the sound Quality of the Oasys,it would be just another blackbox,when You've used a Quality sequencer you'll see how much needs to be done,to even bring the Oasys up to even half the power of these Sequencers,yes you can gripe about how they are dedicated units for sequencing and they don't have half the Sound power of the Oasys,but ok,then put the EXis on hold for a while and do soemthing serious to update the O..The Roland MV8800 really is a real musicians tool,it puts a lot of Software sequencers to shame and also has the ability to run the same way as a software sequencer and also the same in hardware mode,I'm Korg pledged through and through,but I can't bang on about the Roland MV8800 enough,its brilliant,they have certainly set a new standard in Sequencers,

I don't slate the Oasys sequencer in any attempt to jump on the bandwagon I've been using the Korg stuff for nearly 2 decades,yet I became suffocated by them,Turned to the Roland MV8800,thinking that I would have to go through some learning curve on the OS,infact I realised just how s**t the Oasys and Korg sequencers really were,wish I had of bought something along these lines years ago and just made do with a couple of Standalone Korg synth instead of workstations.Don't get me wrong I love my KO,but I would learn to love it more if the Sequencer was in light of what it SHOULD be,I wonder if Korg actually know what the alternatives are out there????

You'd soon see that a few Extra VPM Sounds are not really that important,and could be introduced at anytime,The Updates are welcome,but it shouldn't be at the expense of ignoring the Sequencer and its selfish to say that the updates are not needed to most,because no matter what you use to sequence,we will all benefit from it,if its done correctly.
I have banks and banks of sounds,and racks of gear,it's the work ethic that I need more than a thousand presets that only about a handful are gonna be used

I welcome the EXis and in future I would like to have a single workstation that could provide me with replacments of the hardware,but It'll never come to that unless the Seq receives some serious Muscle Power.

Why in all these years of the Workstation have Korg not seen fit to radically overhaul it??They must see the Market of software systems to see that technology is more demanding both in Hardware sequencers and software,why include the Sequencer if its pretty much old news??I would have still bought the Oasys if it was merely just a Sound machine rather than labelled as the workstation,because to be honest I have never utilised the Sequencer since I've bought it,it just restricts me,and thats coming from someone who knows the Sequencer inside out???So the Oasys really is just a Sound source more than a Workstation badge
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Oasys All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: