Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Radias vs R3 Which Should I buy?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sawunit

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:34 am    Post subject: Radias vs R3 Which Should I buy? Reply with quote

Hi this is my first time posting here. I just wanted to know what you guys think.

I was wondering how much better the radias was and whether it is entirely worth the few hundred extra dollars.

Things I am looking for include ability to work with computers and a lot of vocoding. I've worked with fruity loops and I noticed how the pads (I think that's what they are called) are different on each with the radias having sixteen and the r3 having 8. Other than that, are there any other major differences in the two?

thanks,
meatballfulton

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A huge difference with the Radias is more voices (24 vs. 8) and 4 timbres per program vs. 2. That means you can have more complex layering in your programs.

The Radias has far more knobs and a larger text display which speeds up programming quite a bit esp. for vocoding. More knobs also means you can control more parameters in your software. The extra octave of keys makes it easier to play two-handed and larger bend and mod wheels are easier to control. If you will be doing external signal processing, the four outputs of the Radias allow you to output each timbre independently and even do surround sound mixes.

The R3 comes with a gooseneck mike and has an XLR mike input. The Radias uses a headset mike and has only 1/4" and 1/8" inputs so you'd need a transformer to use another mike with XLR output.

If none of the above advantages of the Radias apply to your application, then save your money and get the R3.
khol

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the RADIAS have more sounds as well ?
And more presets?
dr_boehm

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi khol,

as far as i know the radias has samples that the R3 has not. There are some useful rhodes samples, organ samples.... where the r3 has those dwgs waveforms that the radias does not have. When i go to sessions i often only take my radias with me and leave my motif at home. Its got all i need!! Very good synth sounds, some e-pianos, strings, brass, ...., good solo sounds and (of cause) a very usable vocoder.

But the biggest advantage of all is the user interface. If you can afford it anyway buy the radias. All the knobs and the buttons and the display make working with the radias a dream!!

Ciao, Dirk.
khol

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, boehm, sound good.

Got a quite reasonable price on the Radias Rack (without he beyboard).

Whats the point with the Radias-keyboard? Is there something special with it or can i buy a controller that i like and use that istead? Or is there some special-radias-features (except that i can slide the Rack) that comes with the radias-keyboard ?
klangsulfat

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

khol wrote:
Whats the point with the Radias-keyboard?

It has a great build quality, looks awesome and transforms the module into a real synthesizer Wink
acertainpoint

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not only does the radias have more presets, but you can also download the presets from the R3, MS2000 and other presets off this site Wink

i have over a thousand presets banked in my radias libary on my computer right now Smile

i would totally save and get the radias. its worth it Very Happy

myspace.com/acertainpoint

myspace.com/secretfungus
meatballfulton

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khol wrote:
Is there something special with it or can i buy a controller that i like and use that istead?

Yes, with the keyboard you can send sequencer and arpeggiator data out the MIDI port to external synthesizers. You can't do that using a MIDI controller with the rack unit.
dr_boehm

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi khol again!

I like the keyboard very much. Good feel while playing. Good look of the overall unit. Very good usability when you slide the radias up and reminds me on the mini moog.

But it does not send aftertouch, which is a big drawback for me. The free tablet besides the radias is very useful: You can place small laptops on it or an ash tray or ....

I put a small laptop and a small feeback destroyer on it (for the vocoder for live music).

Ciao, Dirk.
botega

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The free tablet besides the radias is very useful: You can place small laptops on it or an ash tray or ....

Wink
dr_boehm

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing
Daz
Retired

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing
slammah2012

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

meatballfulton wrote:
khol wrote:
Is there something special with it or can i buy a controller that i like and use that istead?

Yes, with the keyboard you can send sequencer and arpeggiator data out the MIDI port to external synthesizers. You can't do that using a MIDI controller with the rack unit.

you can also octave shift using the oct up down buttons and alternate between timbres using the timbre select buttons...and finally, use the radias as 2 ports midi in to your computer.....1 in via midi in, 1 via radias kbd...
Currently running, Hammond M3, Yamaha CS80 + MM6, Roland JX-3P + Mkb 1000 + Vk7 + D110, Alesis Quadrasynth plus, Haken Continuum fingerboard, Korg Radias + Lambda, Ensoniq SQ80, Waldorf Blofeld, Creamware Prodyssey + B4000, Use Audio Plugiator, Arp Axxe ....and some soft synths.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg RADIAS / R3 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: