Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Connecting TS to Internal HD through SCSI port

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton Studio
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sukhraj

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:05 pm    Post subject: Connecting TS to Internal HD through SCSI port Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm thinking of buying a hard disk for my TS as my CDRW has stopped working. I was first looking at external HD's but I've seen that Interal HD's are cheaper and was wondering if it is possible to buy one of these Internal HD's, and then just connect it to the SCSI port at the back of the TS using a SCSI cable going from the HD to the TS?

Is there anything that I need to be aware of? An example of an internal HD I'm looking at is here...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Seagate-ST39204LC-SCSI-Hard-Drive-9Gb-SCA-80-pin_W0QQitemZ140164256810QQihZ004QQcategoryZ16178QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks
tritex4
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello

What's wrong with your current HDD in the TS?
The TS uses a 40 pin ATA laptop drive.
The drive you're suggesting wouldn't work internally, due to the SCA interface.
You could replace the laptop drive, but you'd have to do so at your own risk.
Externally, look for 50 pin drives, 50 pin enclosure (preferably with HD50 cabling).
http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/scsi_cables.html#hd50

Ebay would be the place to look for cheap drives.
If you're new to SCSI, do some research to find the most cost effective solution.
Unless you buy drives already installed in a case, you'll have to configure it all.
You should definitely read up on how to do it.
sukhraj

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I'm new to this and am not sure how I can use the internal HDD , and also how many GB's it is, if there is one inside it.

The main thing that I wanted to use the CD drive for was for when I create Multisamples and Programs. After going through the manual/threads on this firum, I understand that the samples and PCG files do not remain in the computers memory upon turning the machine off, therefore you have to back this data up. Thats why I was thinking about backing all this up on to a CD Rom, and then just loading everything up using it when I switch on the machine.

Is there a way to do what I want to do, but by saving this data into the Tritons existing internal hard drive?

Or, if I do need to get an external drive, what do you think about this one...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/4-3Gb-KORG-TRINITY-TRITON-EXTERNAL-SCSI-HARD-DRIVE_W0QQitemZ160164946589QQihZ006QQcategoryZ38089QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

What would you feel is the best solution for what I want to do?

Thanks again for your help.
sukhraj

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys, any ideas on this please?

After reading through the manual again, I have seen that it is possible to do what I'm doing by saving the data on to the internal HDD. However, how can I test that it exists/works in my Triton? Because, when I go to 'Sampling' section and go to the 'REC Sampling Setup' option and then try and find the HDD in the 'Save to' area, the only thing that I can select is RAM. Does this mean that the Hard Disk in my Triton might be gone as well?

Thanks

Sukhraj
tritex4
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is wrong with the hard drive?
Is it grayed out on the display?
sukhraj

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, yes it is greyed out.

Basically, whenever I click on the 'DISK' option, I get nothing. It is all greyed out, which means I can't even access the internal hard disk (I hope the person I bought it from hasn't removed it!). I'm thinking about purchasing an external SCSI Hard Disk, but what if I connect that up and then go to 'DISK' and that doesn't get recognised either?

The other thing is, the Triton's got a CDRW, Floppy Drive and an internal HDD, so why isn't it recognising anything in the 'DISK' menu.

It's a wierd one, but what do you think? Is it even worthwhile me purchasing a SCSI external HDD abd see if that works?

I'll also have to give Korg technical support a ring as well I think.
tritex4
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,
First things first.
http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=18194&highlight=initiator
sukhraj

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tritex,

That's absolutely brilliant! The post/answer in that thread fixes it all. I have been doing searches on this forum for the past couple of weeks and couldnt find anything, and the answer turns out to be in a thread so obviously named 'Can't use Disk Mode'!! Smile

This was hampering our bands sound as we really required our own multisamples etc. This should be the start of some good fun with the Triton!

Thanks again, and I hope that as my experience builds, I too can help support any difficulties anyone encounters with the Triton on this forum.

Cheers

Sukhraj
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton Studio All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: