Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DIY Stand for PadKontrol

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kontrol49, microKontrol, padKontrol, nano and K series controllers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TagPass

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:48 pm    Post subject: DIY Stand for PadKontrol Reply with quote

Thought I'd share my weekend project...

Picked up a new (cheap!) snare stand from a local drum store. Flipped the basket to allow for more height, and screwed on an 8"-square piece of MDF. Stuck 4 "Gadget Grips" pads on the corners and voila -- a perfect stand for the PadKontrol. Total cost was about $25.

All the openings in the stand keep the cables tidy, and the grip pads (which align with the rubber feet) keep it pretty sticky -- I could tilt at *almost* a 90-degree angle before the PadKontrol slipped. In hindsight, I might've cut the MDF about 3/4" larger or smaller in order to either accomodate or ignore the PK's feet (which hang about halfway off the "tabletop" at each corner).

In any case, it works great, it's fully adjustable (height and tilt) and I've noticed it's especially more comfortable to play the pads than when it's on the desktop.

Pics:

terry1

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TagPass

Hey thats pretty cool. Is it sturdy?
TagPass

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's as sturdy as a snare stand! Yes, there's a little bit of movement when you're playing, but negligable -- I'm still trying to come up with a couple of other "engineering" solutions to combat the fact that this is indeed, not purpose built for this type of use. For instance, there's a degree of "give" between components of the stand -- I guess actual drummers need infinite adjustments, where I'd like to set it up and lock it in place -- and I'd like to eliminate those areas that allow for infinite adjustment.

As far as falling over, or the unit falling off the stand -- it'd really have to be kicked hard for that to happen, and if I'm jumping around that much in the studio, then I probably deserve a broken pK Smile I should let one of my kids bang around on it for a true stability test!

On the plus side, it's nice to position it where you want it, and kind of "lap" it, kind of like you would a set of bongos.
terry1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet! Very Happy
Kontrol49
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, using a Drum Stand

Heres something I use for my PadKontrol and various other Desktop bits of Kit,I actually use My Roland MV8800 On it ,I did look at the Quiklok Mixer stand but its Like 5 times the Price as this unit,this Ikea Laptop stand is Height and Tilt adjustable and has like a grained effect to combat Slip when its angled,I also use it from time to time for placing Notebooks and paper on when I'm writing ideas down.,I was so impressed with it for studio Gear use I bought 2 of them.

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/20078234
metastatik

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice. I did the same thing minus the MDF. I just have the basket of the snare stand holding the pK. Works great.

Last edited by metastatik on Sun Nov 04, 2007 3:46 am; edited 1 time in total
parris

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kontrol49 wrote:
Interesting, using a Drum Stand

Heres something I use for my PadKontrol and various other Desktop bits of Kit,I actually use My Roland MV8800 On it ,I did look at the Quiklok Mixer stand but its Like 5 times the Price as this unit,this Ikea Laptop stand is Height and Tilt adjustable and has like a grained effect to combat Slip when its angled,I also use it from time to time for placing Notebooks and paper on when I'm writing ideas down.,I was so impressed with it for studio Gear use I bought 2 of them.

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/20078234

Nice tip, am off to ikea................ Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kontrol49, microKontrol, padKontrol, nano and K series controllers All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: