Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I'm thinking of buying a Radias - would value your opinon?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:38 pm    Post subject: I'm thinking of buying a Radias - would value your opinon? Reply with quote

Hi -

I own an OASYS and am thinking of buying a Radias. I tried it in a shop and very much liked it. I am however concerned that the control surface looks very busy, a little sloppy and perhaps not intuative to use for its deeper features, and hence fear that I'll end up not using lots of its hidden features that perhaps made it sound good in the shop.

Overall, I'd be grateful for comments on:

- Has the Radias lived up to your hopes/expectations?
- Is it difficult to use - especially its vocoder?
- Is the control surface too busy and complicated?
- How good is it for Step Sequences and Arpeggios?
- Is the module version simply the module on top of the keyboard version
or are the different (I'm thinking of buying the module now and the
keyboard later (if needed)).

Thanks for your time given to these questions.

Kevin
dr_boehm

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kevin!

I am using the radias for live playing (as an add on to my motif es) and for sequencing. At the moment i am heavily experimenting with the vocoder. Here are my opinions:

- the radias is much better than i tought when i bought it. I wanted a virtual analog synth with support for some simple sounds like strings. and i wanted some more synthetic sounds. I am so satisfied with this machine, i cannot even find the right word for it!!

- The control surface: For nearly every important function you have you own button or knob. It is a pure pleasure to edit this synth. I used the software editor only for backing my patches up to the computer and for the step sequencer.
- The vocoder is quite easy to use once you understand the different possibilities on signal routing over the internal bus. Then you have a knob for each of the 16 frequency bands to adjust volume and pan.
- Step sequencer and arpeggiators are really good. But i never programmed the step sequences on the machine cause it takes a lot of time to enter all the notes. There is no realtime record. For step sequencing i use my mc-808 groove box.
- The module version and keyboard version are identical execpt the keyboard.

Ciao, Dirk.
chinard
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: I'm thinking of buying a Radias - would value your opino Reply with quote

Kevin Nolan wrote:

kinda subjective dont ya think Wink
I've already got crap-piles of other VA synths, workstations and other misc pieces so when i demoed it i was looking for something that sounded totally new and different and thats what i found.
I will say this. Dont base your opinions on the presets, they're awful!

Quote:

dont play around with the vocoder too much, but with the way that 'templates' are set up in the editor it shouldnt be that hard to start building vocoders the way you want to hear them.

Quote:

i'm not a fan of the control interface, its good for tweaking, but i find it too cumbersome to write sounds from scratch. Thats where the editor comes in..
The editor software is really super easy and intuitive to use for actualy putting together sounds and doing the really advanced stuff that you'd be digging through menus to find otherwise.
go download the editor and have a look at how its laid out and you'll see what i mean.

Quote:

pretty damn good actually.
there are 2 independent step sequncers and an arpeggiator. total of 3 pattern modulation sources per patch.
these can be assigned to almost ANY parameter on the synth, not just notes... this is where the real appeal of this synth starts to come out is in the mod sequencing and v-patches.
Slap one of those mod-sequencers on the filter and you'll be doing murf-like sounds in no time.

the arppegiator doesnt have a huge number of preset patterns but it does have a user-definable pattern gate feature which makes for extremely flexible arps. This is pretty much what they add to all those other rythmic arp presets you see on other synths
the step sequencers are a kickback to oldschool analog step sequencers.
in the software interface you have 16 sliders, and on the control pannel its 16 knobs.
underneath them you have 16 buttons for the gate pattern (note on/note off)

Quote:

Yeah thats pretty much it. The radias-R is the base unit without the keyboard frame.
i personaly dont like the keyboard... it looks like lawn furniture or something you would buy from ikea.
Its fine as a rack and you say you have an oasys which is a far supperior set of keys than what you would be getting on the keyboard attachment IMO.
nemmo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, and even more.

No, not too much. The vocoder is a little more complex than in other synths, but gives you much more control. Example: routing a rythm into the vocoder.

Not at all.

Those are awesome and easy to learn. If you like it even simpler, use the PC editor.

The module is the same thing with or without the keyboard. You can add the keyboard later. Nice move by Korg....
LEVEL4

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

• Has the Radias lived up to your hopes/expectations? Yes.
• Is it difficult to use—especially its vocoder? Don't know. I'm so lame, I've only used the presets.
• Is the control surface too busy and complicated? I like it! The more knobs, the better!
• How good is it for Step Sequences and Arpeggios? Reportedly awesome! But I'm too lame to program them yet!
• Is the module version simply the module on top of the keyboard version
or are the different? Identical.

The Radias is often bashed for its "bright" sound. But I have other VA synths, and now the Radias' "bright" sound really complements my other synths and a really contrasting way. I love it!
gdh

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the 1st one to arrive in Canada, still luv it and cannot forsee parting with it. I find it complements my voyager, jd-990, jp-8080 (sold my JP8). It is a great bd. and with the OS upgrade it just gets better. I don't use the vocoder other than to have some fun but do make of the arp/seq. At current prices I think that the Radias is a fantastic bargain. I put it through a Speakeasy Vintage Classic Tube Preamp and this really adds a lot to the sound, programming is a breeze and very intuitive for someone new to synths. I disagree with the notion that all the presets are junk, for someone with little or no programming experience they are a great start and lately I have gone back to have a 2nd listen to many of the presets.
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a million for your responses - hugely helpful. The Radias sounded fantastic in the quick demo in a shop; and you definitely indicate here that it holds true in actual use. It actually provides a sound of its own not available on the OASYS but which I am after, so I'm becoming convinced that I'll buy one.

Very much appreciated.

Cheers,
Kevin.
WWW: www.knect.ie
babysittatza

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:22 pm    Post subject: R3 Reply with quote

I LOVE MY R3 !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg RADIAS / R3 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: