Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ksounds vol 1 & piano 2 comparison:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton Extreme
View previous topic :: View next topic  
josephlcs

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:28 pm    Post subject: ksounds vol 1 & piano 2 comparison: Reply with quote

hello..

i'm seriously considering a purchase of some samples from ksounds for my TEx. i personally feel that the piano samples are too thin for my liking and i'd like to explore this avenue.

however, coming from a "third world" country (Malaysia), the price for a single sample cd is very, very high, due to the exchange rate. moreover i'm a student. so value-for-money-ness is a heavy concern.

my question is this: which is more worth the money? should i get just piano 2 (which is my current inclination), or just vol 1, or both?

it would be nice if anyone who has purchased both can give me a nice, comprehensive review of these two packages.

thanks a lot in advance. really appreciate you guys helping out.
tomleitch

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried the free sounds on this site they are very good and if money is tight they might be good for what you want Smile

I see they have a sampled piano sound set on there might be what your after

http://www.korgforums.com
josephlcs

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

norchet..

i haven't gotten my ram yet. still in the midst of getting it from fourniersean. i'll try local outlets, but i think it's rather hard to come by.

anyway, the main purpose i'm doing this is because my TEx is a piano replacement - i plan work on my classical music a lot, so getting a decent replica of the real thing is a worthy investment for me.

i don't mine "splashing" on one CD. but two is a tad bit too much, if they are mostly the same thing. so i'm just trying to find out if i should get both, get one (which one?), or just stick to the free ones available cuz the difference in quality isn't worth the premium.

tomleitch, how would you compare the ksounds sample to the ones available on this site for free?
tomleitch

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not sure mate - i haven't heard these ksounds ones your talking about...just thought it might be worth having a look on the free downloads before you spent any money.

I know there is one which is sampled called PMI piano which is a scaled down version of a 1GB sampled piano.

http://www.korgforums.com/?show=1

and to be honest i know toss all about sampled piano's - the only one's i've played any amount of classical music on are real piano's, i tend to just use my triton for multi-timbral stuff with the band i play in just thought it might be what you were looking for and save you some cash.
Triton76

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't real impressed with ksounds pianos volume one. I didn't think it was appreciably better than the preset stuff.
I have tried a few Akai piano sample cds too. They all sucked. Create your own combi is the way too go. The best sound I got was to layer two pianos and eq them separately. I eventually bought a dedicated digital piano.
BasariStudios
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If its for PIANO only then why did you buy the EXTREME at all???
josephlcs

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, i didn't buy it as a piano - i knew very well that it will never be the same as an acoustic one.

but my church had a lot of pianists, and no keyboardists. and personally i'm much better at improv compared to sight reading. so going down the keyboard/synth route is obvious.

however, i realise that i can't get far without training up on technical skill, cuz improv training makes you learn sideways, not upwards. to do more advanced stuff you have to sight read - more often that not classical is the way to go. so i'm back to doing solo piano. more of means to an end rather than an end to itself.

so in this case getting a good piano voice is important to me. especially when it comes to practicing for recitals which are to be performed on a real piano. i've tried editing the combis, but i find it hard to get close to the exact tonality of a real piano. the thining of the sound as you go further from the sample pitch really irks me, and tweaking the EQ can only mask this - it can't inject in the elements which discriminate the low A string from the high G-string ^^.

i take your point, triton76. did you manage to try the ksounds vol 2?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton Extreme All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: