Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Confusion about first time recording..
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton Extreme
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Systematik88

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:23 am    Post subject: Confusion about first time recording.. Reply with quote

I just got a 1gb usb flash drive today so I could try to finally figure out how to make sng files into wav. I was following some guidelines I found after searching through the forums and I got to where I need to set the sampling time. For some reason I can only make the sampling time go up to 1 minute 27 seconds and it wont let me go any higher. Anyone know the reasoning behind this?

EDIT: I also get not enough sample memory when I try to use the sample rec start / stop thing
tritex4
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
For some reason I can only make the sampling time go up to 1 minute 27 seconds and it wont let me go any higher. Anyone know the reasoning behind this?

It's simple...........those are the RAM limitations per bank.

You'll need a CF card installed in the back of the Extreme to sample larger songs files to wave.
The Extreme doesn't sample to external media, so the 1gb usb flash drive won't work for that.
Once a CF card is installed, select MEDIA instead of RAM and the sampling time will dramatically increase.

Here's the basic sampling sequence to wave tutorial.
http://www.korg.com/downloads/pdf/EX_Seq_to_WAV.pdf
Systematik88

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah thanks a bunch. Should I get a 1gb or just get a 4gb CF card? DO the wav songs take up much space or does that depend

EDIT: Just realized i have a ultra II 2.0 gb Sandisk CF card..but it doesnt want to seem to slip into that slot on the left on the TE cause its too small haha..Am i doin something wrong
lcmorley

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Extreme only "Officially" supports upto 1GB for compact flash cards. Not sure if it will go any higher.

Also, you need to make sure you get the right card. There are issues with many CF cards that cause latency when recording. I originally bought a Kingston card because it was cheap, and it did not work correctly. I would recommend the SanDisk Ultra II card. A little more expensive, but works a treat. Smile

Sorry, didn't read your edit. Any CF card is the same size physically as far as I am aware so you should not have any issues. Sad

Cheers

Please checkout my music at www.soundcloud.com/lcmorley

My Gear History (from 11 years old until now):
Yamaha PSR-31, Technics KN1000, Technics KN5000, Technics KN7000, Korg PA-80, Korg Triton Classic, Microkorg, Korg Triton Studio, Alesis Ion, Korg Legacy Collection, Korg Triton Extreme, Roland Juno D, Access Virus TI 2, Korg M3, Korg Oasys, Roland TR-8, Korg Kronos 2 88 Platinum.
shrike
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
TRITON Extreme Operating System Version 1.0.5
Improvement List
The following items describe the functional improvements and bug fixes included in this
release
CompactFlash:
[Improvement of function]
The operating system has been improved to recognize the following CompactFlash media
at start-up:
SanDisk SDCFB 1.0GB
SanDisk SDCFB 2.0GB
SanDisk SDCFH 512MB (Ultra 2)

This is official release note for 1.0.5. OS, once and for all.

Quote:
Am i doin something wrong

There is no way CF won't slip in that slot, maybe you don't have CF but some other card?

About CF capacities:
if you would like to take some time and read previous posts, you'll see numerous posts about that, but than again, there is no harm in posting it again:

SanDisk SDCFB 2.0 GB is officially supported - works like charm. No failure, enough speed for sampling on media, recognized each and every time, no troubles with capacity loss or anything.

SanDisk Extreme IV 1.0 GB, 2.0 GB and 4.0 GB - tried by this forum members, tested, approved as supported. Maybe some issues about recognizing full capacity, but nothing that can't be solved with "Check Medium" option (MEDIA menu, tab "Utility").

SanDisk Ultra and Ultra II - same as Extreme IV. Ultra is faster than regular one (officially supported one, SDCFB) and Extreme IV is faster than Ultra.

Someone wrote about Hitachi MicroDrive 4.0 GB also working fine, but that one is harder to find, at least in my place.

Here, that is all about official, unofficial, this and that.

Regards,
shrike
Systematik88

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies everyone..I realized what I was trying to put into my keyboard was an SD card haha Embarassed . As a final question..How much does a usual song take up in space? I have a 128 MB lying around somewhere Im going to try to find but I didnt know if I should just go buy a 1 gig to make sure i have the space. Thanks again
lcmorley

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The stupid answer is that it depends on how long the song is. Smile

The estimate would be around 10MB per minute of music.

Please checkout my music at www.soundcloud.com/lcmorley

My Gear History (from 11 years old until now):
Yamaha PSR-31, Technics KN1000, Technics KN5000, Technics KN7000, Korg PA-80, Korg Triton Classic, Microkorg, Korg Triton Studio, Alesis Ion, Korg Legacy Collection, Korg Triton Extreme, Roland Juno D, Access Virus TI 2, Korg M3, Korg Oasys, Roland TR-8, Korg Kronos 2 88 Platinum.
shrike
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

128 MB CF won't get you anywhere, you'll fill it up with just a few sessions.

Let's say you download, collect from others, make your self (OK, maybe not just yet) collection of samples of let say 50 or 60 MB, plus few MB for programs and combis - what will you have, 60 or 70 MB for songs and wave files?

SanDisk SDCFB 2.0 GB costs around 30 or 40 $, or 30 euros.

And 2GB gives you plenty free space.
pagey

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just brought a Sandisk Ultra III CF card (2gig) from Play.com for £17.99 and it works a treat.

Korg Kronos61, Triton Extreme 61, M50
Luke672

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only just got my extreme, what is the best way to test a flash card? I have a fujifilm 100x 2gig
shrike
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try sampling something on it, no matter what, just go to sampler, choose sample to media and play something. Then save it to media, then load it from media, then sample something else, then load both, etc, then save .pcg data, load all, save all, load just particular programs and particular samples, do the same with sequencer...

basically, you wont know until you try as many options as possible and use it for a longer period.
sreedharrmenon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: Confusion about first time recording.. Reply with quote

Hi there,

Its really very easy to convert any .sng file to .wav file, right into your CF card. Here is how you go about doing this.

Once you have loaded the desired song to the sequencer,
> Go to SEQ (sequencer) mode.
> Go to 'Sampling' tab on the screen (7th tab from left) {in SEQ mode}.
> Find an option that, by default, is 'RAM', touch that and choose 'Media'.
> Now you can change and set the new time duration which depends upon the size of your CF card Storability.

And let me know if that worked.

Thanks,
Regards,

Sreedhar R. Menon
shrike
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Sreedhar, it's the only way to resample (not convert) .sng to wave just using Extreme, considering somewhat limiting capabilities of RAM's capacity.

To resample, you still have to engage sampling and play the whole song.

On M3, for instance, there is 2ch to media auto-sampling option which creates stereo wave but doesn't exist in Extreme. Still, process of resampling couldn't be easier than it is even without this option.

So, yes, it definitely works.

Regards,
shrike
tritex4
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shrike wrote:

On M3, for instance, there is 2ch to media auto-sampling option which creates stereo wave but doesn't exist in Extreme. Still, process of resampling couldn't be easier than it is even without this option.

Regards,
shrike

Shrike,
actually, the feature does exist on the Extreme.

Select Sequencer, Sampling, Auto Sampling Setup
http://www.korg.com/downloads/pdf/EX_Seq_to_WAV.pdf

Regards,
Tritex4
shrike
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm little embarrassed now... Embarassed

tritex4, thank you, damn machine really has this option.

I never saw it and never used it.

Well, this just proves one can think he knows his gear and actually be wrong.

Best regards,

shrike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton Extreme All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: