Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sequencing on 01/w
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Synths (General)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nevoken

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:19 pm    Post subject: Sequencing on 01/w Reply with quote

Hi all,

I have a 01/w and I've just tried sequencing on it, however, when recording, the tones are not the same as in the programs.
Say if I choose to record with the A01 piano whose sharpness, attack time or echo I already changed and saved in the program, still if I use it as the tone of my recording, it will be the old piano-sound without any effects.
It's only the octave that won't change back to its basic setting.
I'd like to record the feedbacker guitar with my sequencer, which sounds awesome, however, when I use it while recording, it's really plain and terrible.
Thanks for your help in advance...

Laura
Kontrol49
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Sequencing on 01/w Reply with quote

The 01w only has a limited size effects processor,which means it can only utilise 2 Multi FX at one time,when you use it in Program Mode,a single sound can use 2 FX,but when you come to Seq Mode you have up to 16 Sounds availible,which would mean the 01W would need 32 FX to be able to replicate those 16 Single Programs Exactly in the Seq Mode.

You still only have 2 Multi FX whether your in Prog/Combi or Seq Mode which means you have to globally share them across 16 Sounds in Seq Mode,so as you can appreciatte you can't retain the Programs gloss and larger sound as there isn't 32 FX availible in seq mode,and hence why they sound Flat in seq mode as opposed to Program Mode.Your Sounds in Seq Mode still retain all there other settings(Attack settings etc) from Program Mode so long as you saved your edits in Program mode first if you modified them at all,the only thing they don't carry over is their Individual FX
nevoken

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I understand it now... I guess i should learn about how synths work, I'm not really a technical genius...
I found the effects page in the meanwhile and it's not so terrible after all. And funny how the flutes can be distorted as well Smile
aural

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:46 am    Post subject: O1W Reply with quote

Hi

New to the forum and just looking for information on how best to add new sounds to an O1W, what sounds are still available for this ?

Am undecided how to best use this keyboard or get one of the new ones, but wonder if the new keyboards still have all the great sounds from this keyboard on them aswell ?
HPH24

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:05 am    Post subject: Re: O1W Reply with quote

[quote="aural"]Hi

New to the forum and just looking for information on how best to add new sounds to an O1W, what sounds are still available for this ?
Am undecided how to best use this keyboard or get one of the new ones, but wonder if the new keyboards still have all the great sounds from this keyboard on them aswell ?[/quote]

I am unsure of whether or not you can still get the disks Korg once offered for it, but I'd bet you could. $15 bucks apiece. Also, both www.KidNepro.com and Pro-Rec have several good sets for it. When I got my 01W, I began searching for patches and ended up with about 20 disks, plus a few variations I labored over because it really wowed me. If you take the time to personalize enough patches when you buy a set, you can end up with 1.5 sets for your trouble. Between the zillions of synth sounds, Korg's Orchestral disk and Kid Nepro's Industrial/Techno disk, I've gotten a lot of mileage from a small investment.
Would you be "better off" with a newer model? Sure, in a few ways, but if the deal is good and the synth in usable shape, its a real powerhouse. I'm finding its broader beef a great match with a TR and a couple of softsynths. Consider its condition, advanced age (for a synth) and slim chance of repair for anything serious, but if its just a few hundred, it'd be a strong addition to a more "digital" stack.
aural

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:22 am    Post subject: Sounds Reply with quote

Hi HPH

Are the sounds sorted out or do you have to go through every disk or patch to find what you want for the O1W ?

The Korg has done a lot of live work and has a few quirks in it now.

Will have get back to this forum in the near future, thanks HPH for your helpful information.

Orchestral, voice sounds and drum kit sounds and a few of the new synth sounds, samples of everyday sounds dam it the whole lot I guess.

Chat soon Confused
HPH24

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am unsure of what you mean by sorted out, but Kid Nepro has mp3 demos up for their sets and the Korg discs are pretty clearly labeled by style, such as Folk/Acoustic, Orchestral and etc. I have only been slightly disappointed once or twice with sets I bought; the rest were very useful as they were and invited customization as well.

The deal is that its fairly easy to zero in on your particular favorite sound groups, but part of it will always come from tweaking the things that are the closest and personalizing them. Part of why large libraries are so popular is that it shortens the process. That's great with a new softsynth that has 4 gigabytes of "everything," whereas with a hardware synth, you have to polish it to some extent. OTOH, between a couple of hefty soft-libraries like the one for ReFX's Nexus and the ease of buying TR61 patches online for download to SD cards, its been a lot easier for me lately. Its sort of HANDED to you... but you still have to APPLY them. That's the "hard" part;).
ellll
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a note to the Hellpope...

I have you in the digest...but wish you would have just a bit more to say here. I am in a state of confusion much of the time, but refuse to bother others, as it is simply my inability to "modernize"!!

There are questions that are answered just by accident, its true, but if you expressed yourself directly I would see more pertaining to me....

I do believe you are the consumate master on the older series, in PARTICULAR, the O1W..so I will always watch for you!

My Regards, John..(ellll) Rolling Eyes
HPH24

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="ellll"]Just a note to the Hellpope...

>>>> I have you in the digest...but wish you would have just a bit more to say here. I am in a state of confusion much of the time, but refuse to bother others, as it is simply my inability to "modernize"!!
There are questions that are answered just by accident, its true, but if you expressed yourself directly I would see more pertaining to me....

It sounds as if you are new enough to this that you could benefit from some basic synthesis lessons. I forget the name offhand, but BackBeat Books has a superior one on synthesis by the renowned Jim Aikin. ($34, well-spent.) After a few years and a few synths, it became more intuitive to just REACH for a filter or envelope setting. Fancier things that came later were easier to grasp as a result, such as those 16-stage envelopes that are the heart of many evolving patches.

If I have it right and you need a few "lessons," read these links, especially the extensive SoundOnSound series and let it sink in over time as you tweedle, heh heh. Synthesis, sampling and effects all come from the same pool of sound-stretching techniques. I thought I'd never Get It, but I did. Also, each person puts their own spin on programming; there's no ONE way to be yourself. It just depends on your goals. There's no single "right way" to go. "Modernize" means what YOU want it to mean. Its easier by far now if you want to totally emulate a real orchestra, so old-school analog sounds, marimbas, guitars and EPs are a snap. Many sounds are ready to use as-is, so tweaking them is much easier than it was when you had to build everything from scratch.

You might also want to think about HOW acoustic instruments are played, because they're the heart of synthesis, really. Brass players have to BREATHE, so your phrasing needs to follow that, or you end up with what Wakeman once called "The Mighty Digital Wurlitzer Effect," with things stacked in a big glob. Those elements translate into shaping your purely electronic sounds as well, as our ears work just the ONE way. Knowing the basics is how you leap off into larger realms of experimentation.

There are 12 in this series, covering synthesis in general:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/1997_articles/jun97/synthschool1.html

This is a quickie tutorial:

http://www.tweakheadz.com/how_to%20articles.html

These are 01W-centric resources:

http://groups.yahoo.com/korg01w-list
http://net.indra.com/~cliffcan/01online.htm

BTW, here's a great floppy disk source if you have the FD model:
http://www.disketteconnection.com/store/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=33&cat=3%2E5%22+Diskettes

>>>> I do believe you are the consumate master on the older series, in PARTICULAR, the O1W..so I will always watch for you!

Thanks, but HO HO, "master" is rich! There are things the 01 will do that I have never really touched. Keep in mind that any synth is the color palette and you are the brush. There are technical rules, but only you can decide if the filter needs to be open 2 notches more or the envelope release needs to come 2 seconds sooner. A synth is not just flexible on its own; it calls on you to shape it as the instrument YOU need. The 01W is one of the very best synths to ever come along. I've played many and sold them 2x, so I know, beyond just my own opinion. Its just such a do-it-all workhorse that it has less renown than a Jupiter-8 or MiniMoog. However, you see it in many racks, even today, along with its various brothers like the TR rack, with good reason. Mine is blending really well with the newer, higher-sampling-rate TR61.

Therefore, do some reading and don't be afraid to open a Program and play with it. Once you have a feel for that, make a Combi with just 2 or 3 layers. Its not illegal, heh. Keep at it and the light bulb will come on over your head one day. Besides, there's plenty to enjoy as you go and if its enjoyed, then its legit. Simple as that.
ellll
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WoW..Many fine thanks to HPH for the additional hints

...Unfortunatly...I DO have a lot of background...it is just highly complex in music content....but lite on hard and software..!! I do write reasonable, I just never have set up a first class studio..so you know..good in...can still make junk out...Workin' on it a bit..and ready for another 'board as well..

Gladyou came in here..I was really pleased when you joined..and hope we will continue to hear from you!!!

Thanx Much, and I will work on it!!!!
HPH24

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, if your musical theory and general playing are in hand, I'd suggest taking on a hardware synth that has more than a few knobs. I really like softsynths that sport them, but IMO, the best way to employ that realm well is to have the serious hands-on aspects under your belt. Some of those are a bit expensive now, but if you can acquire anything of that type between a Nord Lead or even a simpler, older Roland, you'll develop a sense of feel that's musical and invaluable. That counts double, even triple when you move to a softsynth and a wavetable that goes far beyond saw & square. Same with synths, like the 01, which employ a one-slider GUI. Korg & E-mu got really smart early on when they offered a row of 4 knobs and a selector that turned them into 12, particularly with 4 of them user-assignable. Mull that over and consider how much that could help you develop a good synthesis of hands-on abilities and underlying sound design theory. Remember, the term synthesis MEANS to assemble from multiple components, not trickery, as the term sometimes impacts people.

I've let it lay fallow for a while as I have struggled with getting a new Mac and other bits to play nice together, but here's my base web page for Things and a few links to pieces not yet posted to it, but in the general stash. I actually got PAID for the Katrina bit, which was used in a series of shows called "Informed Dissent" on Pacifica radio, which was a surprise compliment. The radio show also has a collaboration synth piece in the middle that worked out nicely. Although the Korg TR61 is getting more use now because it sounds a lot more crispy, most of what you hear is 01Wfd. I'm getting a bit better at it over time, through practice and newer tools, but I have PLENTY to learn yet. Once I get Nexus and MOTU's Symphonic Instrument sussed, I'll be peein' with delight!

http://www.beat-factory.net/hellpope/

http://www.beat-factory.net/hellpope/Relapsation.mp3
http://www.beat-factory.net/hellpope/JEOPARDY!.mp3
http://www.beat-factory.net/hellpope/AllsIGotsFumKATRINA.mp3

30 min. of Huey befouling the radio
http://acksisofevil.org/audio/inner153.mp3
ellll
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do have real probs. with what I guess we should call production..or sound...I simply havn't the equipment...HOWEVER..A local shop is willing to give me a break on a high qual. sound card...so I am takin' the comp. down next Tues...(Mon is MLK Birthday..)

Drop in the OSAM (Song A Month) group after Feb..and I will have a few things on..and I won't have to be embar. by posting on the promote section...(jus' kiddin...)

All the info is MOST WELCOME..It is a matter of patience as well, you know, and as a college bum with classical degrees, I just want to do the music.!!!..not fool with electrics!! However I am understanding more all the time how important it is to sound!! Tech and miniaturization have brought the sounds of tomorrow into the realm of all of us, with a little effort!!! By the way..part is that I am pretty old..so I have les patience..I suspect...

Thanks Again..You are a friend to many!..John Rolling Eyes
HPH24

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="ellll"]I do have real probs. with what I guess we should call production..or sound...I simply havn't the equipment...HOWEVER..A local shop is willing to give me a break on a high qual. sound card...so I am takin' the comp. down next Tues...(Mon is MLK Birthday..)
All the info is MOST WELCOME..It is a matter of patience as well, you know, and as a college bum with classical degrees, I just want to do the music.!!!..not fool with electrics!!

I understand. I'm a piano player with synth pretensions and many of the issues/problems drive me buggo; its sometimes hard to see where and WHEN they'll further the music. That's why I suggest acquiring just enough theory to get you where YOU wanna go. There's no hard rule that says you MUST be a master of fast Fourier analysis to play a bit of ragtime. Just read and tweedle until you have enough AHA! moments to facilitate the fun of it. That's where you'll start seeing better results from your investment. Just keep in mind that while its complex, its also finite and that learning 25% of the tech can yield 75% of the abstract goal.

--

HellPope Huey
I could play the guitar if not for my webbed toes

We grow tired of everything but turning others into ridicule
and congratulating ourselves on their defects.
~ William Hazlitt, "On the Pleasure of Hating"

"It says 'melon balls' here;
I hope that's an appetizer and not a disease."
~ "Dharma & Greg"

75 virgins and I've not a thing to wear, ooo!
http://acksisofevil.org/audio/inner166.mp3
ellll
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great goin' HPH, and I have a few questions that I would like more SURE answers to than I have yet compounded, n my (MIND???)

1) What would be THE SURE choice of modernizing, if I use the perfect O1Wfd, 61, that I have, as a controller? In other words, to be easiest to use and best..(SHORTEST learning curve...). (It would be BEST for me if it would be worth it in general...no advanced learning curve.. Would still have some however, I know that...)

2) To add to the prob....I can get a Triton 61 for $300-550/600 on ebay..(Always several..) however, it doesn't have any reccommend. for working well with the O1W...however since it is a good unit in its own rights...why pay so much for an M3 mod, for ex, when the music IS my key, NOT the "new", or "latest" , or new sounds.

3) Also, what must I have on my comp. to download the diff, disc. contents etc. on this forum or elsewhere in systex, for my O1W?..Any music control progs. free, that would do for download and making copy for my keyboard??? What programs do I need..

4) Bunch of mess, I know..and many would tell me "go ta hell..look it up yourself.." (which actually is O.K...)..but.. look it up yourself????...but thats the prob!!...I am so slow, without help..I will NEVER figure it out..(worked the whole day yesterday on the comp. trying to make things work and find programs...got nowhere..) ...for ex..I have a Uno midi hook-up that does nothing...AND..I wonder why I want it to ever do something anyway...You can't use the raw material even if hooked up right..'cause everones unit uses diff. numbers, etc. for the so called..midi voices!!! And I don't even have Adobe..! Must I??

5) I am AWARE of my bleak position in the world of tech...Can I get around it at my age..enough to still make music...

If you can give an answer to even one idea..in the next mil. I would be more than thankful!

My Regards, ellll (John) Rolling Eyes
HPH24

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="ellll"]Great goin' HPH, and I have a few questions that I would like more SURE answers to than I have yet compounded, n my (MIND???)

1) What would be THE SURE choice of modernizing, if I use the perfect O1Wfd, 61, that I have, as a controller? In other words, to be easiest to use and best..(SHORTEST learning curve...). (It would be BEST for me if it would be worth it in general...no advanced learning curve.. Would still have some however, I know that...)

I "settled" for a TR61 so I could also buy some softsynths. I'm far enough along that I was aiming for a Triton Extreme, but its turning out to have been a fair compromise. A synth is complex up to point X because that's the nature of 'em, but since the curve is an issue, consider the TR. It has a grid of category selectors (such as Brass, Org, SE <special>, etc.) that help you navigate. There is also a quick-edit page that lets you select a few key parameters like Octave, Decay and FX balance. You can go deeper, of course, but its saving me some time as I work. The only negative is that if you are using the USB port to trigger softsynths, MIDI is inactive, which I HATE, but that's the nature of the curve of progress. This does not stop you from using MIDI through an interface for one while the TR uses USB for the other; its just kinda kluge-y. The TR is the LE done right and you can not only buy some great sound sets from a few places like Kid Nepro as downloadable PCG volumes, but get some good freebies from Triton Haven. I have 8 sets on one SD card and its a great improvement over swapping floppies in and out.

2) To add to the prob....I can get a Triton 61 for $300-550/600 on ebay..(Always several..) however, it doesn't have any reccommend. for working well with the O1W...however since it is a good unit in its own rights...why pay so much for an M3 mod, for ex, when the music IS my key, NOT the "new", or "latest" , or new sounds.

The only issue there, for me, is that USB/MIDI design choice, but its really a matter of cash and personal goals. An M3 would clearly be a #1 choice for its advances, fidelity and superior keyboard, but a TR driving an 01W is a very good mix of older and newer. The 01W has "weight;" the TR has more "clarity" because of the higher sampling rate used in its wavetable. Unless you are wild for a broader synth that's better for avant-experimental things, like Reaktor or Rob Papen's Predator, most of what you could conceivably need is already in a TR. Its surprised me to hear how "modular" it CAN sound, so its about 95% THERE already.

3) Also, what must I have on my comp. to download the diff, disc. contents etc. on this forum or elsewhere in systex, for my O1W?..Any music control progs. free, that would do for download and making copy for my keyboard??? What programs do I need..

You can find 01W sets in sys-ex, which is how one applies a librarian such as Sound Diver, for example, but more often, sys-ex seems to be applied to larger rigs running MIDI to and from a host sequencer. Then each sys-ex ID tag goes to the right synth for various data dumps and program changes that are inserted into a sequence. In your case (and mine for the most part), its easier to load the 01W and just play it directly. As it stands, I can route things much more easily within the Mac as softsynths, so hardware is becoming less of an issue. Its far easier to channelize in software rather than facing cable spaghetti with a separate MIDI interface, but I'm finding a mix between the two is an ideal hybrid.

4) Bunch of mess, I know..and many would tell me "go ta hell..look it up yourself.." (which actually is O.K...)..but.. look it up yourself????...but thats the prob!!...I am so slow, without help..I will NEVER figure it out..(worked the whole day yesterday on the comp. trying to make things work and find programs...got nowhere..) ...for ex..I have a Uno midi hook-up that does nothing...AND..I wonder why I want it to ever do something anyway...You can't use the raw material even if hooked up right..'cause everones unit uses diff. numbers, etc. for the so called..midi voices!!! And I don't even have Adobe..! Must I??

What kind of sequencer are you using? That's where you really do your setting-up. The Uno is just ONE In and Out. You'll need more if you want to use two or more hardware synths. Again, you can also do as I do: lay down a rhythm or other main track and then record over it by hand. I'm working towards being able to quantize a bit and fix a few flubbed notes that are off by just a hair, but you don't HAVE to work that way. The goal there is to be able to trigger everything you recorded as MIDI in one pass, mix it as one big stereo glob and then commit that one composite track to memory. Saves a lot of disk space and I'm getting closer to making that function better, but its not the only way to work.

5) I am AWARE of my bleak position in the world of tech...Can I get around it at my age..enough to still make music...

Hell yeah. Start at your own level and just keep reading & poking around. It'll come to you over time. A LOT of people just lay down a few tracks on a small Boss recorder and then play a line or two over it. "Play" is the key word. Enjoy it at the level you best understand and let the more complex aspects come along in their own time. Don't worry about sys-ex so much; just fiddle with the palette of colors, get used to the synth's own voice, sketch out a few ideas you want to polish and run with that. In all the tech-rush, people lose sight of just sitting and noodling for fun. In this case, playing first and working LATER is a good formula. I lived within JUST the 01W's sequencer for several years, which is how I came to see the merits of Cubase. Keep in mind that like a mixer, there are umpteen channels and options, but they are usually multiples of the same logical needs and functions found in ONE slot. If you think in that type of modular sense, it'll become less intimidating over time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Synths (General) All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: