Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Great Synth but Bad Sequencer?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ultimate Dj
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:29 pm    Post subject: Great Synth but Bad Sequencer? Reply with quote

Hi,
I have only had the Karma and 01 before the O. so thats all I know. but I have heard that the O has a bad Sequencer but an awesome Synthesizer. All i use is the Seq and i dont have a clue about the Synth..... so i'm looking for a little help switching this around.
What else is there for a Sequencer? How can i use the Synth? Mainly i want to use the Vocoder but i cant figure this out....HELP! plz! Very Happy
Thnx Smile

Pura Vida
DJ Cool
silverdragonsound
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably your best bet is a computer. Most are probably better than onboard sequencers. You also open a whole new arsenal as well.
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Great Synth but Bad Sequencer?

It's not a bad sequencer, it's just dated.
For what it does, it does extremely well, but in a non graphical user friendly way. I choose to use the onboard sequencer over a PC based because it's still in “”””MY”””” opinion more efficient to work with.

But “””””ONLY””””” because I grew up on these and I can read step record values like plain text at this stage, and I know every trick there is to getting this system to do what is needed.

Just like DOS VS Windows in a way, if you know what I mean.

Anyway..... hopefully they are working on all this right now and that there will be something very interesting further down the road.

Regards.
Sharp.
Vadim
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here it goes again....
the Oasys sequencer .....

this was discussed many times here, it's the same sequencer as triton studio's, plus karma stuff in the sequencer, 16 audio tracks, and no Cue list
lcmorley

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I please have a rant.

Why do people out there go out and spend over £5000 on a keyboard they know nothing about?????

If someone said a car had a bad engine, would you spend £5000 on it without looking at it first, or at least test driving it first?????

Surely you should have answered all of these questions before buying the O in the first place. It just really agrivates me that people go out, buy these synths, and expect people to spoon feed them information about them.

Rant over Embarassed

Please checkout my music at www.soundcloud.com/lcmorley

My Gear History (from 11 years old until now):
Yamaha PSR-31, Technics KN1000, Technics KN5000, Technics KN7000, Korg PA-80, Korg Triton Classic, Microkorg, Korg Triton Studio, Alesis Ion, Korg Legacy Collection, Korg Triton Extreme, Roland Juno D, Access Virus TI 2, Korg M3, Korg Oasys, Roland TR-8, Korg Kronos 2 88 Platinum.
Lou
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, to be honest, most, if not all people who purchased the Oasys didn't buy it for the sequencer. They bought it because it sounds magnificent, to say the least. Maybe you are misinterpreting the issue. I think it's more of a wish for improvements within the sequencer. Wink I guess, a lot of these posts belong in the Wishlists.
Derm

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also quite a lot of us did not have the luxury of a test drive as the Oasys is thin on the ground in most places. I figured that as the sequencer was 12 years newer than the last hardware one that I used, it had to be better. It isn't.
MarkF786

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not a bad sequencer, it's just a little naughty. Very Happy
Davidb
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkF786 wrote:
It's not a bad sequencer, it's just a little naughty. Very Happy

LOL Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Daz
Retired

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Synth but Bad Sequencer? Reply with quote

Ultimate Dj wrote:

I have only had the Karma and 01 before the O. so thats all I know. but I have heard that the O has a bad Sequencer but an awesome Synthesizer. All i use is the Seq and i dont have a clue about the Synth..... so i'm looking for a little help switching this around.

IMO the sequencer isn't bad, it just wasn't finished, it just froze at some point a few years ago. I enjoy recording stuff with it, but I find the Oasys a pig to work with when you start trying to arrange things or doing anything complex. It's great for creating short loops or live performances I suppose.

If you want to work with the synth in any detail, i.e. not just use presets, you'll have to go into Program mode as the engines simply aren't exposed in any meaningful way in Combi or Seq mode. See the Operations Guide section for info on Program mode.

Forgive me for repeating myself, but it's disappointing that neither of these things was addressed originally (or in the meantime) as both serve to rather defeat the point of the Oasys as a workstation and as a synthesizer.

Hey ... sounds great though ! Smile

Daz.
Daz
Retired

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Synth but Bad Sequencer? Reply with quote

Daz wrote:

Forgive me for repeating myself, but it's disappointing that neither of these things was addressed originally (or in the meantime) as both serve to rather defeat the point of the Oasys as a workstation and as a synthesizer.

I mean to say that if any two features in the instrument truly merited some attention, surely those two are the absolute key ones. I am quite baffled by the choices that were made by Korg in this regard.

Daz.
Ultimate Dj
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Synth but Bad Sequencer? Reply with quote

Daz wrote:
IMO the sequencer isn't bad, it just wasn't finished, it just froze at some point a few years ago. I enjoy recording stuff with it, but I find the Oasys a pig to work with when you start trying to arrange things or doing anything complex. It's great for creating short loops or live performances I suppose.
Daz.

Thnx everyone!
Daz when you say the O is a pig (mine was extremely offended when i told her Mad )when you start doing anythn complex. What do u mean? Lyke just a lot of Midi and Vocal tracks? Do you mean it shuts down, Goes slowly or just won't do it?

Pura Vida
DJ Cool
Daz
Retired

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mean anything more complex than just playing something on the keyboard and having it record that and then subsequently play it back; so any kind of MIDI editing operations, attempts to arrange different parts of a song etc. To me it's only suitable for the super-humans that never make mistakes so don't need to edit anything, are able to play everything by hand (including fast drum rolls etc) and also have a totally clear vision of how a song is going to progress that they lay down linearly, without ever changing their minds. Oh and all their sounds are already made and perfectly fit into a song in advance. LOL, I ain't one of those people sadly Wink

Daz.
Ultimate Dj
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotcha! Thnx
But what happens when you do editing?

Pura Vida
DJ
Vadim
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the most important feature missing from korg (and maybe the only feature) sequencer, isthe piano roll/key editor...

but there are still many songs produced, preferebly using that sequencer Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Oasys All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: