Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can the Oasys do what the Fairlight or Synclavier could do?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KingJ

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:06 am    Post subject: Can the Oasys do what the Fairlight or Synclavier could do? Reply with quote

It looks like the Oasys can do a whole lot of stuff, but can it do everything the NED Synclavier or the Fairlight CMI could do? The Synclavier could do FM adative synthesis, resynthesize samples, it had 16 tracks of direct to hard disk audio recording, and little to no latency. On the Fairlight CMI, you could draw your own custom waveshape literally from scratch, using a light pen, or from the Fairlight's QWERTY keyboard, and I'm not talking about doing this using samples. Would any of this be possible on the Oasys?
Lou
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingJ

I'm just to worn out for another pissing contest. Sorry... Laughing
tcornishmn

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of us smell something fishy here. Can we ask why you are asking? Neither the Fairlight or the NED are available anymore, other than on the used market, so I'm not seeing those as a competitor. They also cost six-figures and were physically huge.

To answer your questions as best as I can:

The OASYS doesn't have the type of additive synthesis that the KAWAI K-5000 had, but certain components are definitely there - the CX3 organ's drawbars are a form of additive synthesis, and using multiple AN-1s, polysixes or MS-20s, you can have a wad of oscillators to add together.

Resynthesize samples: Probably not quite the same thing, but there are a lot of ways to skin a cat and a lot of the sounds can be recreated. The OASYS has a number of different synth models like the string synthesizer which will likely perform many of the same functions.

16 tracks of direct to disk audio recording: Yes. Low latency? Probably better than the NED.

Can you draw a waveform from scratch on the OASYS: No. Can I draw a waveform on my computer and import it as a sample? Yes. My computer has a QWERTY keyboard, for the record, but I'd rather draw it with a mouse.

The list of things the OASYS can do that neither of those dinosaurs can do is very long. There are almost 3 years of posts on this board and Karma-lab that go into great detail of what those things are. The short list is: the sounds, 172 notes of polyphony, 16 effects processors, the sounds, KARMA, CX3, STR-1, the fact that it weighs 55 lbs (OASYS76), the sounds, wavesequencing, that it is modern and supportable, that there is ongoing development. I'm sure I've missed a whole bunch of others.
KingJ

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, let me clear things up here. This is not a troll post. I'm trying to decide whether the Oasys will do at least some of the things I need it to do, such as 16 tracks of direct to disk audio recording, addative synthesis, etc. I know the NED and the Fairlight are dinosaurs, but they could do a lot of stuff that most hardware workstations can't even do today. It sounds like the Oasys is definitely the closest modern thing I'll get to the Synclavier or the Fairlight. The reason I mensioned the QWERTY keyboard on the Fairlight is that I'm blind, and I can't use a mouse very well. However, I've already figured out a way I can learn to use the touch screen on the Oasys. I'm glad that Korg layed out the screens so that everything is in relatively the same place most of the time. Now I just have to start saving my money!
ski
Independent Sound Designer for Korg

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't speak from a knowledgeable place about the Fairlight, but I can for the Synclav. The basic system was a "workstation" as we know it today and included a MIDI sequencer, a sampler with no filtering at all, and FM synthesis only (no analog synth components). If you were willing to shell out hundreds of thousands for it you could get their direct-to-disk recording system. As far as I'm aware it didn't do resynthesis (or at least it didn't do it well and required off-line operation. It had convolution processing, but again, it was an off-line operation and was cryptic as hell to figure out. It had a music notation program but doing anything more complicated than entering notes required learning "Script", their notation programming language.

So when you add it all up, yes, the Oasys can do everything the Synclav could do (sans notation) and a whole lot more, for about one-millionth of the price.

I'd say that the sonic quality of the Oasys compares favorably with the Synclav, keeping in mind that the Synclav's sound was absolutely unique.
KingJ

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ski wrote:
I can't speak from a knowledgeable place about the Fairlight, but I can for the Synclav. The basic system was a "workstation" as we know it today and included a MIDI sequencer, a sampler with no filtering at all, and FM synthesis only (no analog synth components). If you were willing to shell out hundreds of thousands for it you could get their direct-to-disk recording system. As far as I'm aware it didn't do resynthesis (or at least it didn't do it well and required off-line operation. It had convolution processing, but again, it was an off-line operation and was cryptic as hell to figure out. It had a music notation program but doing anything more complicated than entering notes required learning "Script", their notation programming language.

So when you add it all up, yes, the Oasys can do everything the Synclav could do (sans notation) and a whole lot more, for about one-millionth of the price.

I'd say that the sonic quality of the Oasys compares favorably with the Synclav, keeping in mind that the Synclav's sound was absolutely unique.

Thanks Ski, and all the others who replied. Even though the Synclavier had it's limitations, it was definitely way ahead of just about everything else that was out at the time. The Fairlight was really it's only competition until Fairlight went out of business, then it was in a league of it's own. Now, it looks like the Oasys is the closest thing to it, and it's a whole lot cheaper! I just wish someone would release a program for the Oasys that would allow it to do FM addative synthesis like the Synclavier could do. That would be a sound designer's dream!
Andy Leary
Korg Research and Development

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan Phillips used to have a Synclavier II, but I never used it enough to really get to know how to use it. It did have some great sounds, though. As I recall, the FM oscillators were just 8 bit and you could only do simple carrier modulator pairs. Does that sound right to you, Peter?

Also, KingJ has used the term "FM Additive" a couple of times. Is that a Synclavier term? As I recall the synclav allowed you to have simple carrier modulator pairs, but then you could layer them. So, I guess that is "FM additive."

The synclavier did not really have true additive synthesis did it? Here I mean N sine (or other) oscillators in parallel each with their own envelope, where N is large. I've seen these kind of synthesizers in academic settings, but additive has never made a big splash commercially. I was once giving a talk on physical modeling using waveguides when some guy in the audience informed me that I was totally on the wrong track. According to this guy, physically modeling and sampling were both lame ideas. Additive was really the way to go because, after all, all waveforms are made from sums of sinewaves. Well, they guy was right about that, but there is the pesky little issue about control. Who's gonna edit the envelopes for three hundred partials?? Not me!
ski

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andy!

Andy Leary wrote:
Dan Phillips used to have a Synclavier II, but I never used it enough to really get to know how to use it. It did have some great sounds, though. As I recall, the FM oscillators were just 8 bit and you could only do simple carrier modulator pairs. Does that sound right to you, Peter?

Yes, they were 8-bit oscillators, but for some reason they didn't sound grainy at all. Magic! (I guess) Wink And it was a single carrier/modulator pair. However...

Quote:
Also, KingJ has used the term "FM Additive" a couple of times. Is that a Synclavier term? As I recall the synclav allowed you to have simple carrier modulator pairs, but then you could layer them. So, I guess that is "FM additive."

Thanks for jogging my memory... The carrier was actually an additive synth oscillator. You could turn up the volume of up to (I believe) 15 additional sinewaves above the fundamental all emanating from that one carrier. The frequencies were simple multiples above the fundamental, i.e., 2x, 3x, 4x, etc. And that could be modulated by a single sine wave modulator

So in a sense, the Synclav FM was two synths rolled into one: additive synth oscillator which could be frequency modulated. Per voice.

The Synclav's voice structure supported four simultaneous "timbres" (voices) per note. So you could layer up to 4 FM instances at once (same or different sounds on each timbre).

Quote:
I was once giving a talk on physical modeling using waveguides when some guy in the audience informed me that I was totally on the wrong track.

Great, eh?

Quote:
According to this guy, physically modeling and sampling were both lame ideas. Additive was really the way to go because, after all, all waveforms are made from sums of sinewaves. Well, they guy was right about that, but there is the pesky little issue about control. Who's gonna edit the envelopes for three hundred partials?? Not me!

Nor me! And what about those pesky enharmonic overtones intrinsic to some sounds? Wink
KingJ

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fact that the Synclavier could do both FM and addative synthesis is why it fascinates me so much. That's why you could get some very unique sounds out of it. I can't afford one though, because they're extremely expensive, even on the used market. If I got an Oasys, the only thing I would be interested in on the Synclavier would be it's FM addative synthesis. The sonic possibilities of that are almost endless. If I could find an FM addative synthesizer like the Synclavier, or a program that could do that for the Oasys, I would jump on it! The Oasys has a whole lot of great features on it though, and I just may get one anyway, when I can afford it. Does anyone know what an Oasys-76 is going for on the used market?
steve m

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a heap of Oasys on the used market right now, 7 on ebay this week alone ! ( and some of them even look genuine! )

You should be able to get a good used oasys 76 for around US$4,000, and a new one for around $6,000 if you negotiate. I recently got a new one for less than that!

Good luck.

Kurzweil K2000, Yamaha CS1X, Minimoog, Oasys76, GEM Promega 3, Korg PA3X, Kurzweil PC3K8
Too many toys are never enough!
ski

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingJ wrote:
The fact that the Synclavier could do both FM and addative synthesis is why it fascinates me so much. That's why you could get some very unique sounds out of it.

Indeed you could! It produced amazing sounds. I'd love to have a Synclav FM system one day just to relive it all.
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Leary wrote:
Dan Phillips used to have a Synclavier II, but I never used it enough to really get to know how to use it.

Ah, the good old days: IBC root-beer, almond muffins from Harmony Bakery, living in a house with Andy, his future wife Shelly, and Tai Chi crop-circle master Mike. The Synclav sat in the living room of the house we were sharing in Palo Alto, with the keyboard on top of the Korg digital piano and the big, black rack housing the FM voices on the side. They were quite tolerant to allow that to take up space in the living room!

I bought the Synclav from a garage sale at Stanford's CCRMA. It was a simple system, with (if I recall correctly) just 8 voices of FM, no sampling, no terminal.

Andy Leary wrote:
It did have some great sounds, though. As I recall, the FM oscillators were just 8 bit and you could only do simple carrier modulator pairs. Does that sound right to you, Peter?

The synclavier did not really have true additive synthesis did it? Here I mean N sine (or other) oscillators in parallel each with their own envelope, where N is large. I've seen these kind of synthesizers in academic settings, but additive has never made a big splash commercially.

Each "partial" was an FM pair. Partials could not modulate each other, so an FM pair was all you could do; no feedback, no complex algorithms. The waveform for carrier of the pair was a single-cycle, additively defined wavetable with up to 24 harmonics (two banks of 12). Resynthesis added a third set of 12 harmonics (25-36), but these were not accessible manually.

The harmonics were not dynamically modulatable; you'd set their levels, and then it would compute and store the waveform.

My hardware wasn't capable of running the resynthesis software (I needed more RAM and a graphics terminal, I believe), but I read a lot about it. Smile It was not the classic additive synthesis with a separate, envelope-controlled oscillator for each harmonic. Instead, it used something very much like a Wave Sequence to progress through a set of single-cycle additive waveforms, using two crossfading FM oscillators. They called each waveform a "Timbre Frame."

This is also quite similar to the Fairlight's "Mode 1" additive synthesis.

Andy knows this quite well, having designed it, but it's worth noting that the MOD-7 also supports additively defined waveforms, via waveshaping. Specifically, the "Additive" and "Mixture" sets of tables produce various combinations of additive harmonics. On the one hand, these are not as flexible as manually defined combinations of harmonics; on the other hand, modulating Drive controls the harmonic levels in real-time, which was not possible on the Synclavier.

Now, if we could generate user-defined tables...but that sounds like a feature for a MOD-7 II. Smile

In general, I think the Synclavier's legend has perhaps grown a bit oversized. It was truly ground-breaking, and did many amazing things for its time. However, much time has passed since its introduction in the mid-1970s, and not surprisingly its capabilities now show their age in comparison to modern synthesizers: no modulatable filters of any kind, little in the way of real-time modulation or LFO/envelope facilities, etc.

- Dan
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
ski

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan,

Thanks for the walk down memory lane. And yes, Timbre Frames... Oh man... I'mma have to call ya and do some reminiscing!

BTW, I was so jazzed by this topic of Synclav FM that for the heck of it I sent an email to a guy I know who's a dealer in used Synclavs, and I asked him how much a 16-voice system would cost. Not that I could probably afford it, but hey, Dan? Andy? KingJ? Wanna chip in? Wink
Andy Leary
Korg Research and Development

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter, I'll throw in a few bucks! We'll itemize that as "research" !!

Dan wrote:

Quote:

Ah, the good old days: IBC root-beer, almond muffins from Harmony Bakery, living in a house with Andy, his future wife Shelly, and Tai Chi crop-circle master Mike. The Synclav sat in the living room of the house we were sharing in Palo Alto, with the keyboard on top of the Korg digital piano and the big, black rack housing the FM voices on the side. They were quite tolerant to allow that to take up space in the living room!

That was without a doubt the best Bakery of all time and space. Good times!

Very Happy

It sounds like the "additive" part of the Synclavier was really something more like "harmonic waveform definition". MOD-7 can do things like this so you should be able to get similar kinds of sounds.
KingJ

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Leary wrote:
Peter, I'll throw in a few bucks! We'll itemize that as "research" !!

Dan wrote:

Quote:

That was without a doubt the best Bakery of all time and space. Good times!

Very Happy

It sounds like the "additive" part of the Synclavier was really something more like "harmonic waveform definition". MOD-7 can do things like this so you should be able to get similar kinds of sounds.

Now you guies have got me excited! It sounds like the Oasys can do just about everything the good old Synclavier could do, and much more.

BTW, when I get an Oasys-76, I'm still planning on keeping my Yamaha Tyros2, and my Yamaha Motif XS6, because they have a completely different sonic flavor than Korg gear does, and it's good to have as much variety as I can. I just wish I could also afford a basic Synclavier system too. How much is a used Synclavier, with FM only, no sampling, and no DAW capabilities? I wouldn't need all that extra stuff in the Synclavier if I had an Oasys.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Oasys All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: