Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Vocoder: Serious feedback problems

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dr_boehm

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:17 am    Post subject: Vocoder: Serious feedback problems Reply with quote

Hi Folks,

i tested the radias vocoder with my band yesterday. Its a not a very loud band but with a drummer and bass man standing by your side you need a certain volume for the keyboard monitor speaker Smile

I a beyerdynamic sgx58 microphone which has supercardial characteristic and they told me that it was very good against feedback problems.

I tried many different settings but always had the problems of feedback in the lower to middle frequency range (esp. when playing chords).

I found no setting that let me get a sufficient clarity without feedback (which i got with a headphone) and no feedback.

I programmed this signal chain:

Modulator: Mic->Timbre1(audio)->Gate->compressor->Vocoder

and for the carrier:

Vocal waveform->compressor(to have same loadness for chords and single notes)->Vocoder

I also tested it without the gates and the compressors but this gave me even more feedbacks.

I did not test the formant shift parameter. May this one help to destroy the feedbacks?

For practical reasons the monitor speaker is standing on my side, not infront of me, but even moving the monitor did not solve the problem.

Just to be sure i tested the microphone without the vocoder and got a much louder transmission without feedbacks than with the vocoder.

Any help desperatly needed!!

Ciao, Dirk.
slammah2012

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use a Dynamic microphone....Directional
try phase reversal on the mic or on the Monitor if feedback persists....
set your input level low....and sing or talk with a "loud" Voice about an inch away from the Capsule....do not cover up the mic as that will induce feedback.....

Unfortunately, when you play your vocoder loudly with close monitoring, it will pick itself up through its own mic without your voice activation...

You will need to sacrifice your monitor volume level on stage for the vocoding parts and use a loud voice and low input...
Currently running, Hammond M3, Yamaha CS80 + MM6, Roland JX-3P + Mkb 1000 + Vk7 + D110, Alesis Quadrasynth plus, Haken Continuum fingerboard, Korg Radias + Lambda, Ensoniq SQ80, Waldorf Blofeld, Creamware Prodyssey + B4000, Use Audio Plugiator, Arp Axxe ....and some soft synths.
dr_boehm

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Slammah,

many thanks for your input, i will try that all. My problem is, that the vocoder picks itself up.

What monitor level will be realistic to get? Can i achieve a comfortable volume to hear the vocoder sound on a small stage standing directly besides drums and bass?

Many thanks,

Dirk.
dr_boehm

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more question: would a feedback destroyer help here?

Ciao, Dirk.
slammah2012

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dr_boehm wrote:
Hi Slammah,

many thanks for your input, i will try that all. My problem is, that the vocoder picks itself up.

What monitor level will be realistic to get? Can i achieve a comfortable volume to hear the vocoder sound on a small stage standing directly besides drums and bass?

Many thanks,

Dirk.

You will need to experiment....start with your mic input level off
Have the band play , and play along with them on the synth....
Now is when you adjust your Mic input on the Vocoder.......
it should flicker green.....yell into the mic from an inch away...
It should flicker red but not nail it to the top....
(with the type of mic you have, it's pickup pattern is "on axis" (it needs to point directly at your mouth, but it also needs to breath...dont tape it up or wrap your hand around the capsule end......
If your sound is the only thing that feeds back, you may need to electronically "pad the mic" or try Phase reversal on the mic "if it is a balanced mic that is",( I am refering to pin 2 and 3 being swapped...before it gets transformed back down to quarter inch for the "unbalanced" Radias input...
Another trick that could help is to Delay your output slightly.....
This would simulate moving your monitor further from you.....the distance sound travels in 1 second at sea level is about 900 feet..... 10 ms is around 9 feet...
use your master fx on a stereo delay.....1 repeat "timed equally L+R"...Full wet "no direct" ...start with 10 ms and move up to a range where it works best for you...this should kill feedback, but may be difficult to perform with if the delay time does a mind freak on ya....
Have fun..... Laughing

PS....

As far as microphones go 'I would try to find an old
sennheiser "profipower"with the wind cage....it has a magnetic switch on the side for turning the mic off..in an emergency feedbacking situation....

Sennheiser MD431 "Profipower"
Short Description

Sennheiser's best dynamic mic for live vocals just got better. The supercardioid MD 431 II has a custom-tailored frequency response to achieve added transparency. A nearly frequency-independent, polar pattern offers incredibly high gain before feedback and provides uncolored off-axis response. Its new rugged housing has a steel-mesh grille, a shock-suspended capsule, and a hum-bucking coil. It features a noiseless, magnetic reed on/off switch which is recessed in its handle, and internal electronics for refining proximity effect.

Currently running, Hammond M3, Yamaha CS80 + MM6, Roland JX-3P + Mkb 1000 + Vk7 + D110, Alesis Quadrasynth plus, Haken Continuum fingerboard, Korg Radias + Lambda, Ensoniq SQ80, Waldorf Blofeld, Creamware Prodyssey + B4000, Use Audio Plugiator, Arp Axxe ....and some soft synths.
dr_boehm

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi slammah,

thanks a million. I will try that all. The md431 is too expensive for me. I will keep the beyerdynamic tg-x58 (was only 75 EUR).

I will also experment with a feedback destroyer too. There is a cheap one from behringer the BEHRINGER DSP110 SHARK that is at 85 EUR.

When im through i will write an extensive report here on the forum.

Again, many thanks!

Bye, Dirk.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg RADIAS / R3 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: