Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Does The World Need Another Peter Gabriel?????
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dr.InnoVation

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:42 pm    Post subject: Does The World Need Another Peter Gabriel????? Reply with quote

Background Story:

I have been making tracks Ever since I had a Kawai K-11.

I never really knew who PG was until I saw him in concert in 2003. I Thought for sure he was my twin, not in looks but in content. I have always made instrumentals, dream sequence type music for a long while and the eerie part was how eerily similar I sing like him..

I mean not quite Peter G. I have recently been told I sound like a mix of Ray Charles,PG,Eric Clapton+Steve Perry...(not kidding) If I can muster up the guts to I'll sing and record em.

Due to family love+sacrifice I have never been able to take my music to the next level- Until NOW!

I don't know what I should do or how to go about it but I want to write,sing,produce my own music and spread it to others.
SoundClick Page: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=868853
tritex4
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, we need more Peter Gabriels, not less.
From an innovative standpoint, the music and sounds made on his solo albums and with Genesis is inspiring.
So, if you're a PG, that's a good thing.
Dr.InnoVation

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks T.
I was hoping more people would chime it DOh!

If I can FINALLY hook up my pro tools I'll post some clips of what I can do.
RiotNrrd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:20 am    Post subject: Re: Does The World Need Another Peter Gabriel????? Reply with quote

I don't know what I should do or how to go about it but I want to write,sing,produce my own music and spread it to others.

Well, you're off to a good start, then!

Dunno how to become the next Peter Gabriel. Not even sure if it's possible to become the next Peter Gabriel in the current era. Hannah Montana, sure. Peter Gabriel... mmm... hard to say.

But go for it! Only one way to find out!
Kontrol49
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be yourself and promote your Music in the best way you can,if you have the talent and ability,it should be easy to have self belief in yourself.

Don't try and Place emphasis on being the Next Peter Gabriel,or whoever,if you advertise yourelf as being just that your already opposing your talent,People will hear your influences in your music,and say He sounds like this or that,trying to run a Parallel between you and that person isn't really a way to front yourself,and fans of that type of music will always say their isn't room for another Gabriel or whoever

if you promote yourself as Being the next whoever you'll always have that Comparison which will be a Yardstick against your Music,and possibly a downfall,to the point where people find your simply Just a clone or copycat.

You can sound unique from gathering your influences from certain sources,don't ever try to be like "...." or you'll always gain critics,who will always compare your Music as a Secondrate Piece of art.Place the focus in trying to bring out the best in your music rather than trying to shape it to sound Like.Your Music will already contain Influential elements of your Insipration,you don't need to try and deliberatly tailor make it to becoming even more obvious.

You already show self belief in what your doing so Good Luck to you. Wink

(Love your Nick BTW Laughing )
Vadim
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes.
more "MUSIC WORKSTATIONISTS", Keyboard players, synth players....
Kerzwhile

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter Gabriel is God!!! Wink So where can we hear some of your stuff??? Wink
MY Weapons of choice: K2600X, Oasys88, PC3X, K2661, V-Synth, MotifESR, ZR-76, TS-12, VFX, EPS16+,ESQ-1, ESQ-1R, Emu Xtreme Lead, SCI Six Trak, HR-16, Kurzweil Mark 150 Baby Grand and 2 D1600's synced!!!
http://www.soundclick.com/members/default.cfm?member=kerzwhile
Dr.InnoVation

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Kontrol49"]Be yourself and promote your Music in the best way you can,if you have the talent and ability,it should be easy to have self belief in yourself.

Kontrol49 wrote:
Don't try and Place emphasis on being the Next Peter Gabriel,or whoever,if you advertise yourelf as being just that your already opposing your talent,People will hear your influences in your music,and say He sounds like this or that,trying to run a Parallel between you and that person isn't really a way to front yourself,and fans of that type of music will always say their isn't room for another Gabriel or whoever

Exactly. The only thing I would remotely do is play some cover songs live, but never tout myself as being the next PG. What I mean to say is his style of play, raspy voice, and musicianship are eerily similar to what I have done for years before I saw him in concert in 03! Hairs ran up and down my spine as I heard his lineup that day......But I agree with your post.
Kontrol49 wrote:
if you promote yourself as Being the next whoever you'll always have that Comparison which will be a Yardstick against your Music,and possibly a downfall,to the point where people find your simply Just a clone or copycat.

Again, totally agreed!!
My music has it's own flare. It is only related in the sense of how he goes about his songs. Long winded intros, crazy instrumentals that cause the listener to reflect, and dream in a sense, but I guess other artists can do that as well. I got my Kawai K-11 when it first came out. And ALL of my old tracks are instrumentals. Only come from the heart.

Kontrol49 wrote:
You can sound unique from gathering your influences from certain sources,don't ever try to be like "...." or you'll always gain critics,who will always compare your Music as a Secondrate Piece of art.Place the focus in trying to bring out the best in your music rather than trying to shape it to sound Like.Your Music will already contain Influential elements of your Insipration,you don't need to try and deliberatly tailor make it to becoming even more obvious.

You already show self belief in what your doing so Good Luck to you. Wink

Thanks for the advice.
Thing is though, the wheel cannot be reinvented. While I try to do what I want in a free, openminded music working environment the similarities are there.... The basis for my tracks are and have always been emotionally driven works.
I'd like to post examples of what I have done years ago. I'm pushing 30 and I haven't accomplished what I want to do yet, but taking care of people and being there for them when in need is the path I had chosen
for some time now and I don't want to convolute this thread with those details and bore you! But now I want to take that path least traveled and see what happens.

First and foremost I have always been a producer of music. Singing was a bathroom hobby of mine until one day I made someone cry.
I am confident in my ability to make music but only recently have I found a confidence in my singing.....
Dr.InnoVation

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kerzwhile wrote:

I was ready to put down a song about it all in ProTools BUT when I tried to install it, there was a problem lol!!!!

See, back in 2003 Christmas I think it was I got this 002rack.
Never tried to install it until last night....

Took this Blue disc with Orange writing that said Factory Le.....Came with plugins that read off to the left. You might be wondering why I said that???

Because, ha! After loading it my computer had to restart. When it did there was no icon to load the program!!!! The computer said found new hardware.....When I tried to get it to work there were no drivers to get the rack to work. The Bluish Green Usb Ilok worked, but no program....

But what I think I'll do for anyone who wants to hear, I'll dig out my Mackie mixer that works when it wants to, and sing live, record it to CD, then make an mp3 for you all to here.
Kerzwhile

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr.InnoVation.Bennicelli wrote:
Kerzwhile wrote:

I was ready to put down a song about it all in ProTools BUT when I tried to install it, there was a problem lol!!!!

See, back in 2003 Christmas I think it was I got this 002rack.
Never tried to install it until last night....

Took this Blue disc with Orange writing that said Factory Le.....Came with plugins that read off to the left. You might be wondering why I said that???

Because, ha! After loading it my computer had to restart. When it did there was no icon to load the program!!!! The computer said found new hardware.....When I tried to get it to work there were no drivers to get the rack to work. The Bluish Green Usb Ilok worked, but no program....

But what I think I'll do for anyone who wants to hear, I'll dig out my Mackie mixer that works when it wants to, and sing live, record it to CD, then make an mp3 for you all to here.

YES please do soo!! I am Jonesing for some new tunes! If anybody cares, Blue October is quite Gariel esque!!
MY Weapons of choice: K2600X, Oasys88, PC3X, K2661, V-Synth, MotifESR, ZR-76, TS-12, VFX, EPS16+,ESQ-1, ESQ-1R, Emu Xtreme Lead, SCI Six Trak, HR-16, Kurzweil Mark 150 Baby Grand and 2 D1600's synced!!!
http://www.soundclick.com/members/default.cfm?member=kerzwhile
Dr.InnoVation

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I did it!!!!!! AHAHHA SQQSP:DSQD SQPP SP CJWP~~~!!!W!WK!WKW!!

Okay, I found the missing pro tools disc I didn't know I had LOL!!
-Everything is NOW setup and I am now learning Protools for the first time...

I recorded "father and son" just now but how do I dump to mp3?
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you sound like PG and Steve Perry ?

If you do, that should get a lot of attention
citrus

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah dude more peter gabriels are ace and although someone might hit me for this but we need more phil collins's too, true renaisance men!
Sina172
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Sina172 on Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one is enough for this planet

Thank you
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Music All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: