Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New PA800 owner with some questions
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa2XPro - Pa800 - Pa500
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stephenm52

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:05 pm    Post subject: New PA800 owner with some questions Reply with quote

I purchased a PA800 a couple of days ago and I have a few questions.

I have started entering custom lists in the songbook section. How can I save them to a USB memory stick?

What is the internal memory capacity of the 800?

With the availability of large USB memory sticks did you find it necessary to install a hard disk as well Question
Rockitman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:08 pm    Post subject: a couple of answers Reply with quote

Let's see, attach a USB stick to the front port, press the media button,
the save tab and the songbook file can be saved to the stick there.
The songbook is saved as one large file (I think it has got an sdb extension). For songbook database. I am not at my PA800 right now.
After that you can use the songbook database PC program to view and make changes to the songbook.
The SSD internal memory is 20mb. So far I have not found a need for the Hard Drive option. I see the only advantages to the hard drive to be that you do not have to manage the capacities of your USB drive, and or where they are...There may be an advantage for sample load times but I am not sure. I hope this helps some. Someone more experienced may be able to give you better answers....
stephenm52

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I should have also asked, once saved how do you access from the USB stick? I'm assuming that's where the load command comes in?
Dnj

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve how are you making out with the pa800 so far?
stephenm52

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dnj wrote:
Steve how are you making out with the pa800 so far?

Donny, I'm making progress and lovin this keyboard. In late 2006 before I bought the Tyros2 I was looking for a PA800 to demo, but couldn't find one. I may have purchased this at that time. Of course I know the OS been upgraded, so maybe not. Nevertheless I'm really happy with this board.

When you load from a songbook on USB does it overwrite what's on the internal memory of the board?
Rob Sherratt
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stephenm52 wrote:
[When you load from a songbook on USB does it overwrite what's on the internal memory of the board?

When you load a .set file containing only a Songbook folder within it, then all that will be overwritten will be your current (old) Songbook, nothing else. However some people save .set files as a complete user backup containing SOUND and STYLE and sometimes GLOBAL entries as well as SONGBOOK. If you then load one of these .set files it will overwrite your user settings. So the best policy is to OPEN a .set file on USB and check what is inside it before deciding whether it is safe to LOAD it.

Best regards,
Rob
Dnj

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve that's great ....in time you will discover the PA800 to be everything you need and so much more to make beautiful music in so many ways.

Good Luck
Bernie9

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What am I missing here ?
I am only using the USB for sequences and text. Should I be using the TD for more ? Reg's and styles are in internal Songbook.
Bernie
rikkisbears
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:19 am    Post subject: Re: New PA800 owner with some questions Reply with quote

Hi,
fortunately for me I'd done a Save All ( page 229 manual) including ticking the Songbook as part of my backup .

While fiddling round with the functions I accidently overwrote the existing songbook with a test songbook which only contained one entry. At the time I didn't realize it would totally replace the songbook in the PA.
I thought it would just add an additional song, same as adding an additional style or pad. Boy , was I wrong.
Fortunately I was able to load my songbook back in, thanks to my back up.
The system is great, but takes a bit of getting used to.
Next time I think I'll read the manual before I start pushing buttons.

I've also backed up my user styles & pads.

HOBBYIST

PA5X 88 note
Wavesart CFX 9ft Grand Piano 🥰
Wavesart Japanese Grand Piano

Yamaha PSR SX900

Band in a Box 2023
stephenm52

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob Sherratt wrote:
stephenm52 wrote:
[When you load from a songbook on USB does it overwrite what's on the internal memory of the board?

When you load a .set file containing only a Songbook folder within it, then all that will be overwritten will be your current (old) Songbook, nothing else. However some people save .set files as a complete user backup containing SOUND and STYLE and sometimes GLOBAL entries as well as SONGBOOK. If you then load one of these .set files it will overwrite your user settings. So the best policy is to OPEN a .set file on USB and check what is inside it before deciding whether it is safe to LOAD it.

Best regards,
Rob

Rob thanks for the info you probably have save me some grief. I have done a complete back up each day after making changes and may have used the back up to overwrite everything on the board.

Rikki, good information as well. I had a little mishap and forgot to save settings I save to the custom songbook and had to re enter them. Fortunately there were only about 15 entries I lost.

Donny the PA800 is more than I expected, selling the G70 was the right choice. Also will be selling the Tyros2 shortly as well.

Bernie, I'm not sure how much space each songbook entry takes but with only 20 mb available, I'd think that could fill up real quick??
Dnj

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve if the custom songbook is more important for you and you need space just delete songs from the factory songbook you DONT need to make room for your own.
stephenm52

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dnj wrote:
Steve if the custom songbook is more important for you and you need space just delete songs from the factory songbook you DONT need to make room for your own.

Donny, Aproximately how many songs do you have stored in your song book? I'm guessing that if I have between 500 and 700 that will be more than enough capacity.
Rob Sherratt
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

You need have no worries about space occupied by the Songbook. It is very compact, 143 kbytes for 350 entries, so in 1 Mbyte of SSD space you will get over 2500 entries.

Best regards,
Rob
stephenm52

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob Sherratt wrote:
Hi all,

You need have no worries about space occupied by the Songbook. It is very compact, 143 kbytes for 350 entries, so in 1 Mbyte of SSD space you will get over 2500 entries.

Best regards,
Rob

Thanks Rob that's good news. Cool
JerryT

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Steve,
When I first started using the PA800 almost a year ago, I did what Donny suggested to you and deleted the factory songbook entries. I'm not sure how many tunes I now have stored in the songbook, but I think it's approaching 500 or so with no problems so far. Good luck, have fun.
Ciao,
Jerry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa2XPro - Pa800 - Pa500 All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: