Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

the manuals

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton Extreme
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andrew

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:13 pm    Post subject: the manuals Reply with quote

when i bought the triton exteme, the assistant in the shop said to me dont bother reading the manuals as they're poorly written, just muck around with it... i have to say he was bang on with that one... they are extremely badly written, as times the grammar is poor and just not explained correctly, they inform of functions on the menus that arent there..!

has anyone else had trouble with the manuals, were they written in a hurry?
pagey

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just out of interest which functions are not there?

Korg Kronos61, Triton Extreme 61, M50
shrike
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manuals are very well written, intuitive and thorough. Every and I mean EVERY parameter you can tweak in Extreme is in them, except from working with EXB-MOSS, which has it's own manual, but that one is written very basically.

Manual's purpose isn't to make you a Korg guru - it is written to point you to possibilities, everything else is your idea.

Take some time, read Easy start and Operation Guide, slowly, with coffee and relaxing music.

Then take Parameter Guide and start working on Extreme - you'll see it will explain you everything there is to explain. And what will you do with functions Extreme gives you - that's your problem, no manual will teach you to think, imagine, create and play music.

Regards,

shrike
mikemolloyuk

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: the manuals Reply with quote

andrew wrote:
when i bought the triton exteme, the assistant in the shop said to me dont bother reading the manuals as they're poorly written, just muck around with it... i have to say he was bang on with that one... they are extremely badly written, as times the grammar is poor and just not explained correctly, they inform of functions on the menus that arent there..!

has anyone else had trouble with the manuals, were they written in a hurry?

Can you give specific examples to back up what you are saying please??

Mike
pagey

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
the assistant in the shop said to me dont bother reading the manuals as they're poorly written, just muck around with it

I think its the shop assistant that's poorly written Very Happy

They can be a bit heavy but as shrike says, stick with it and all will become clear. And if you get stuck - You've found the right place! Very Happy

Korg Kronos61, Triton Extreme 61, M50
shrike
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
stick with it and all will become clear. And if you get stuck - You've found the right place!

That's right.

Manual can't tell one some little tricks and magics that we all use in our sounds.

For example, manual will tell you what is Pitch envelope generator, but it wont tell you how one can make glisando with two generators, avoid non existing features of that particular EG (no slope and break) with two EG's; it will tell you what HPF is but wont tell you what can you do with it, wont even point to possibility to lower sound's output level with HPF without changing the sound frequency at all, wont point you to make perfectly toned third pitch layers with user scales etc etc etc.... Possibilities are endless, and that's just program editor.

For this kind of things, there is Korg forum and great musicians and programmers behind it.
andrew

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"that's your problem, no manual will teach you to think, imagine, create and play music".

not wishing to sound pretentious, but as a classical pianist and writer of film music i hope it is not my lack of creativity getting in the way... i sequence my music in logic pro, own a motif and phatom and have never had any problems with the manuals... for some reason i have found the manuals very poorly explained and definitions lacking....

in their defense though, i have only had the keyboard a few weeks so i'll give it time... i wish i could give an example but i really have no idea what pages i found these errors in... maybe i'm just getting old..!

with all respect, you go on about the alteration of sounds but to be honest i've worked in many studios and the sounds are superb, they dont really need to be manipulated... especially the e.pianos... if anyone needs to alter them they should get out of this business as they're the best e.pianos i've come across... nothing can beat the grand pianos on the yamaha p-120 though....the grand pianos on the triton are a little flat and weak sounding... but as a classical pianist i guess i'm going to pick up on that... what good is spending all day on altering the sound if you cant write a melodic melody?
BasariStudios
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cant give no comments to this since i hate manuals. There is not a single
Parameter on the synths i've used that i dont know what it is and does but
i never read a Manual in my life. I always hated school, any kind of school
went for sound engineering and didnt learn anything, all i learnt was on my
own but its probably just me, i dont believe in school and manuals, i believe
in the real thing...imagine having a girl next to you and reading a Manual.
if you dont know what the breasts are for touch them and squeze them
till milk comes out, you are not gonna brake them...my synth are dripping
milk everyday.
kabuchi

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nedim...
U R KILLING ME MANNNNNNN...... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

ooops..sorry about that

to the topic at hand...

yes, the manuals r ok to me, and I second the others, the manuals won't teach u tricks...

Nedim, gotta check my synth for dripping... Laughing
BasariStudios
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy
kabuchi

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL !!!!!!!!!

cheers
shrike
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
what good is spending all day on altering the sound if you cant write a melodic melody?

Do you find preset saxes on Triton to be fine? Can you find good accordions? Bouzouki? It doesn't work just with sampling. Every sample has to be edited in it's own unique way, that's editing all about.

And one more thing, I suggested you read the manuals and try working with Extreme along side because from your questions it's obvious you don't know how to deal with Extreme. OK, you write movie music, you work with Logic, no one disputes your knowledge, but if you are new to Korg, then guides are best path to go.

But on the other hand, you find our sound tweaking pointless. You find us not capable of writing a melody. You find Nedim musical beginner???

Did you even spend some time reading previous posts to see who is who in this forum and in which section?

We pay our respect to every member. Do the same.
BasariStudios
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shrikr, i think you should leave him alone, this is the funniest person i met
in here and also the one with less clue of anything.
I dont think he really needs help...he probably got lost in here.
cmrr

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing is useless without tweaking - presets are fine for a start but without customizing, they sound "pedestrian" and you won't get the best sounds without altering them (especially without the MOSS board)

I don't know of any peice of gear that doesn't require user intervention to get the most out of it. The manuals are there for reference only and I have yet to find one that tells you half of what it can really do

I've gotten quite creative by taking the time to learn what my gear can do by experimentation instead of pressing buttons and letting my gear tell me how I will sound - there is a learning curve and no manual can hold your hand through the arch unless it's a million pages long - I find the manuals to be fine

The best way I found to use the manuals is to download them and use the search function to find an answer to my problem. It at least gets me on the right track
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton Extreme All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: