Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best Keyboard for On-Stage live Playing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Synthesizers/Keyboards
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Satish Rahi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:26 pm    Post subject: Best Keyboard for On-Stage live Playing Reply with quote

Of people who gig and do studio work, what is list of desirable features in a keyboard that make it easy to play live. As a starter

1) Weight
2) Time to load samples
3) Time to switch patches
4) 1 Key touch pattern switching

My general impression is that
Kurzweil is good for live playing, Roland is OK, Korg is not.
Lorenzo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kurzweil up and down...
up:
1 works perfectly as a master keyb in case you need to use racks
2 switching between patch doesn't stop the sound (not only in prg mode but in setup [combi] mode too
down:
1 they're heavy...
Synthoid
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Keyboard for On-Stage live Playing Reply with quote

Satish Rahi wrote:

My Korgs are definitely lighter than my K2661. And I have them set up for easy access to programs and combinations (setups).

Plus, the M3 is a great board for providing rhythms and drums on the fly.

Sounds Good
Kerzwhile

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lorenzo wrote:
kurzweil up and down...
up:
1 works perfectly as a master keyb in case you need to use racks
2 switching between patch doesn't stop the sound (not only in prg mode but in setup [combi] mode too
down:
1 they're heavy...

Yup!! Plus there is Quick Access Mode where the numerical keypad can be told to call up programs instantly and you can have pages of these setups!! Gonna also add Ensoniq to this! The ZR76 Is great live!!!
MY Weapons of choice: K2600X, Oasys88, PC3X, K2661, V-Synth, MotifESR, ZR-76, TS-12, VFX, EPS16+,ESQ-1, ESQ-1R, Emu Xtreme Lead, SCI Six Trak, HR-16, Kurzweil Mark 150 Baby Grand and 2 D1600's synced!!!
http://www.soundclick.com/members/default.cfm?member=kerzwhile
Voltan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kerzwhile wrote:
there is Quick Access Mode where the numerical keypad can be told to call up programs instantly and you can have pages of these setups!!

You can do that on Triton too
Lorenzo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voltan wrote:
Kerzwhile wrote:
there is Quick Access Mode where the numerical keypad can be told to call up programs instantly and you can have pages of these setups!!

You can do that on Triton too

not exactly... on the triton you have prg and combi mode, on kurzweil you have the prg and setup mode plus quick access mode where you can list your programs or setups so you can quick jump between modes recalling patches from each of them. An example: I have a song with 4 sounds an organ patch, a lead patch, a combi with many layer of synth and strings and again the first organ patch. On the triton you have to set up a combi bank to play prg and combis in the right order even if two of the timbres are simple programs. In the K series you can set up a quick access bank that point to both programs and setups... you have many advantage: you don't have to switch between prg and combi mode and you don't have to waste setup (combi) or program roms for the sounds...
Regards, Lorenzo
silverdragonsound
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:52 am    Post subject: Re: Best Keyboard for On-Stage live Playing Reply with quote

Satish Rahi wrote:
Of people who gig and do studio work, what is list of desirable features in a keyboard that make it easy to play live. As a starter

1) Weight
2) Time to load samples
3) Time to switch patches
4) 1 Key touch pattern switching

I think your post is too general. I have found the keyboard is really a smaller part of the equation. The user of the keyboard is the key factor. I've heard guys playing Older Alesis, Korg, Roland and Yamaha stuff on stage that sounds amazing. I've seen local guys live here do the same thing. In today's market, most of the keyboards are pretty good and what the players get out them make the keyboards great.
Synthoid
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Keyboard for On-Stage live Playing Reply with quote

silverdragonsound wrote:

The user of the keyboard is the key factor.

Well said!
chinard
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, for years i gigged with my triton studio.
my biggest complaint is the sheer weight of it, it was a back breaker to carry around

Usability on stage i found was really good.
the touch screen was great for seeing what you were doing, and the arpeggiator section is really well set up for doing on-the-fly beatmatching when my midi clock from the backing tracks screws up.

combi mode is definitely handy for me cause i like to do keyboard splits of 4 or more zones and setting this up on the triton is a breeze.

Lately tho i have shelved my triton studio in favour of a much more compact and flexible machine ...
the Nord Modular G2 is my current weapon of choice for live. It doesnt do sampling but it does do everything else if you have the time to program it. (subtractive, additive, FM)
The keyboard has a really nice action to it, the knobs are all 360degree rotary encoders with LED ring so you can see your knob position at all times. This thing is pure heaven for live jamming and knob tweaking on stage because you never have to worry about your knob 'jumping'
Nord also has that pitch stick which takes quite a bit of getting used to but once you get the feel of it, quite simply.. it rules!

if you like working with arppegiators and step sequencers as much as i do then you will find bucketloads of functionality and flexibiltity in the g2. Its actually possible to fully emulate a moog 960 sequential controller complete with skip, reset, and trigger bus. (really handy for those rubicon style sequences)

another thing that is really handy is that you have 2 main modes: voice and perf (similar to prog and combi)
the main difference here is that within each of these modes there are 7 variations that you can pull up instantly without triggering a whole patch reload (and dropping sound while it loads)
these variations are not new module routings but are instead settings within the modules you have loaded. Very handy for fast switching between a slow sweeping sound to a fast bright lead without interruption

now one other big thing to keep into consideration with a live keyboard is how stable it is during diverse enviornmental conditions.
night clubs tend to get really hot, humid, and smoky... alot of gear out there does not fair well under these conditions.
not to mention that power feeds are usualy dirty as hell with all the RFI from the sound systems.
I have found that solid state digital machines the triton and nord g2 does reasonably well, wereas analog machines like moogs or DSI evolvers tend to have tuning problems.
Some digital devices like earlier Akai MPC's, alot of roland beatbox gear, and even the radias tends to exibit strange behavior on stage. (i had a bad experience with the radias on stage once, sound just completely cut out and wouldnt come back until i rebooted it)
higskies

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simple and cheap. TR61 with and Axiom 49 controller. Less concern about damage/theft/contaminants and still has decent sound. I'll keep the fancier toys safe at home! And for the 80's post-punk influenced music we do, it works great. I do miss my Alesis QS7.1, though. R.I.P.
Korg TR, Legacy DE, padKontrol, M-Audio Axiom, Alesis QS7.1, Yamaha YS-200, Casio VZ-8M, Roland D-110, E-mu ESI-32, Absynth 3, FM7, Live 7, Sonar Producer 7, PreSonus Firepod interface, KRK Rokit5 monitors, Focusrite/Behringer/PreSonus preamps, Rode/Blue/Shure mics, kazoos?, Fender Telecaster, Danelectro U2, Epiphone Les Paul Studio, VOX/Peavey/Gorilla amps, Sigma DY10 Acoustic
Fatalmasterpiece

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

higskies wrote:
Simple and cheap. TR61 with and Axiom 49 controller. Less concern about damage/theft/contaminants and still has decent sound. I'll keep the fancier toys safe at home! And for the 80's post-punk influenced music we do, it works great. I do miss my Alesis QS7.1, though. R.I.P.

Do you ever use a midi pedal with your TR or just the Axiom for control?
Satish Rahi

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Question that player is the key. I assume that player is good and sounds on keyboard are decent. Still there are technical features that make things easier while live playing. It also depends how much you are required to do with keyboard in your group. If you basically play 1 or 2 sounds (Piano, EP) then just good sound and your playing skills are enough. But if you are playing lots of sounds and samples which change quickly within a song. If you are playing loops, tap tempo , arps etc. then your job depends on your keyboard's features. e.g. Roland's RPPR is better designed for live playing than Korg's. On Roland 1 key touch stops th previous pattern and starts new one seamlessly. On Korg that is 2 key touchs. One to stop first pattern and second to start a new one. Unless you do it with perfect timing you mess up the song. Similarly on Kurzweil switching sounds is seamless with no micro pauses as the sound changes. Not so on Korg or Roland where sound switch is noticable.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Synthesizers/Keyboards All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: