Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Probably a very dumb question but here goes.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Legacy Collection
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DJANIMATE

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:10 pm    Post subject: Probably a very dumb question but here goes. Reply with quote

Just got the legacy collection 2nd hand. The guy never installed the software so I was able to register and upgraded to v1.1.10 just fine. I am extremely new to this, but have dabbled in MIDI before and understand it

All I'm trying to do is playback notes in cakewalk Sonar 7 though any of the Korg bundled software - Legacy Cell, MS-20, Polysix, or wavestation.
On the Korg software side, I have my MIDI inputs set to the MS-20 controller. It works just fine - When I press a key, I get output.
I open Sonar, start a new MIDI project, record a few notes through the MS-20. Everything appears to be good,I can see the notes being recorded fine.
When I attempt to playback that MIDI file, I can't hear anything though the legacy cell. In Sonar, I have my MIDI out set to "MS-20 Controller 1" so there should be no reason why it doesn't work. I've tried all my MIDI outs and all 10 midi channels with no luck.
Is what I'm attempting to do impossible? Can I not play back though my Legacy Cell using Sonar? I just don't understand why this doesn't work?Question Question

Thanks in advance.
Adam
Ben Hall

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you trying to run the stand alone version of the Korg synths together with Sonar?

If so, forget that, you should be using the plugin versions *within* Sonar. Then all the MIDI and audio routing is handled invisibly for you...
DJANIMATE

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I am using the standalone versions. Thanks for clearing that up. Now I have to figure out why I don't see any plugins for them in Sonar.

Thanks.
MartinHines
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Probably a very dumb question but here goes. Reply with quote

DJANIMATE wrote:
When I attempt to playback that MIDI file, I can't hear anything though the legacy cell. In Sonar, I have my MIDI out set to "MS-20 Controller 1" so there should be no reason why it doesn't work. I've tried all my MIDI outs and all 10 midi channels with no luck.

Adam,

I think you are getting confused regarding the difference between a real synth (like a Triton Exreme or M3) and a midi controller+software.

Setting your Sonar Midi IN Port to MS-20 controller is correct, since that causes midi data generated by your physical playing of the MS-20 keys and knob turning to be sent to Sonar.

However, sending midi data back to the MS-20 controller will not generate any sound , since the KLC instruments sound is being generated inside the computer. Similar to any virtual instrument, you want the midi output of a midi track being sent to the KLC software instrument. You therefore want to use the Sonar Synth Rack to select the Korg MS-20 VST, then route the midi data to the VST like you would any other software instrument.
DJANIMATE

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martin,

Thanks for the lesson. Being new to this, I was under the impression that the non-VST software (standalone as I see it called) would intercept the MIDI. Logically, it just made sense.
You are correct about me being used to hardware synths, and it probably explains why I was confused. In my mind, I would think even standalone synths could monitor any outgoing ports, but I was wrong. Also, now that I've used the VST plugin, I can see why there is no need to even work with the standalone, unless just playing.
Thanks to you and Ben, I now have the VST plugin up and running. Took a bit to get to that point, but now I'm able to get it all to work. I still have a long way to go, but at least I understand the fundamentals. Very Happy

Thanks again,
Adam
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Legacy Collection All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: