Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How do I get M1? I want to complete my Legacy Collection.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Legacy Collection
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:44 pm    Post subject: How do I get M1? I want to complete my Legacy Collection. Reply with quote

I have KLC-1, KLC-1 1.2 upgrade (dongle), KLC Analog Edition 2007. So I have everything but M1. Is there no way to add M1 to complete my "Collection"?
loggerkey

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must buy the Digital Edition!
Shy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, obviously paying $150 for a package of which half I already own is a ridiculous option. I don't understand why there's no option to buy M1 separately, without Wavestation and MDE-X which I already have. I had the option to get Mono/Poly separately.
brzilian

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shy wrote:
Well, obviously paying $150 for a package of which half I already own is a ridiculous option. I don't understand why there's no option to buy M1 separately, without Wavestation and MDE-X which I already have. I had the option to get Mono/Poly separately.

You don't already half own it. The Wavestation you have is not the same as the one that comes with KLC-DE.
MartinHines
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shy wrote:
Well, obviously paying $150 for a package of which half I already own is a ridiculous option.

Korg switched the contents of their products around a little over time. When Korg decided to release the KLC-DE, they stopped making updates to the Wavestation version in KLC-1. KLC-1 has Wavestation v1.2, while KLC-DE has Wavestation v1.6. Also, if you were to buy the KLC-AE2007 now it does not include Wavestation.

The current Korg sofware lineup (KLC-AE2007 and KLC-DE) separates analog synths from the digital ones.

At least in the U.S. as an existing KLC-1 or KLC-AE2007 owner you can buy the KLC-DE at the "preferred owner" price of $99 (scroll to the bottom of this page):
http://www.korg.com/gear/info.asp?a_prod_no=KLC1D&category_id=8

You buy it through the Korg USA Online Store, and I think it includes free shipping:
http://www.korgusa.com/korgusa/items.asp?Cc=Software&Bc=

I think $99 is a very fair price to get the KLC-DE (I took advantage of this same offer).
Shy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the clarification. Well, that's wonderful. I had no idea the version of Wavestation I have is no longer supported. So, IF my local distributor offers this (I'm not in US), I could get KLC Digital Edition for a 33% discount. Not 50%. For some reason I have to pay $25 just to be able to get the latest version of something I already bought.

That makes me worry that in the future, we'll have more forced "special deals" for "preferred customers".

Thanks, Korg, but I'll just pass on M1.
Ben Hall

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's £100 here for a new boxed copy (about $200) and considering that originally an M1, WS, and all the cards would run you something like $8000, it seems pretty good value for money.

If you think the M1, all it's sound content, and lots of new content for the WS isn't worth £50 to you, then that's your prerogative.

And it's my prerogative to think you're nuts... Wink

Stuff is way too cheap these days. I remeber the days when a single bank of M1 sounds would run you £80 or so - and that's just patches, not even new PCM content...
Synthoid
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben Hall wrote:
Well, it's £100 here for a new boxed copy (about $200) and considering that originally an M1, WS, and all the cards would run you something like $8000, it seems pretty good value for money.

Agreed. I really have enjoyed the Legacy Digital Edition. It's worth the $$$.

Plus--all the additional free patches available online. Wink
gravehill

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the M1 is truly amazing. I find I'm using M1 much more than Wavestation which was what I was most interested in when I bought them.
Shy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben Hall wrote:
If you think the M1, all it's sound content, and lots of new content for the WS isn't worth £50 to you, then that's your prerogative.

And it's my prerogative to think you're nuts... Wink

And it's my prerogative to think you simply don't understand that it's not about whether I think its price is worth it or not, it's about paying an additional cost just to get a new version of a plugin that does the exact same thing as the version I already have, only with bug and possibly quality fixes. If it was some plugin with new features (which it obviously isn't, a Wavestation is a Wavestation), maybe it would be justified.

If you think prices are "way too cheap nowadays", maybe you should buy the KLC packages several times to feel better.
dave

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shy wrote:
...it's about paying an additional cost just to get a new version of a plugin that does the exact same thing as the version I already have, only with bug and possibly quality fixes. If it was some plugin with new features (which it obviously isn't, a Wavestation is a Wavestation), maybe it would be justified.

Not true. The revised Wavestation plug-in comes with a new resonant filter not present on either the original hardware or in the older software version you possess, as well as an extra card bank showing off this new capability.

Kind regards.
MartinHines
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shy wrote:
I had the option to get Mono/Poly separately.

This is incorrect. As an existing owner of KLC-1 you were able to upgrade to KLC-AE2007, but the KLC-AE2007 software (i.e. the installer) contains more than the Mono/Poly.

Shy wrote:
Thanks for the clarification. Well, that's wonderful. I had no idea the version of Wavestation I have is no longer supported.

Your version is still "supported", meaning tech support.

Shy wrote:

I could get KLC Digital Edition for a 33% discount. Not 50%. For some reason I have to pay $25 just to be able to get the latest version of something I already bought.

When you buy any software, there is no guarantee that the developer will continue to update that product forever, and definitely no guarantee all updates will be free.

Shy wrote:

That makes me worry that in the future, we'll have more forced "special deals" for "preferred customers".

There is nothing "forced" about it. You can continue to use your Wavestation v1.2 with your existing computer forever -- no one is forcing you to buy the newer version.

Shy wrote:

The KLC-DE, with the M1 EX and all additional ROM cards, and the T-series with all of the optional disks, is easily worth $149, even forgetting about the Wavestation. I don't know anyone who has regretted buying the KLC-DE, and all of the people I know paid full price.
Shy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MartinHines wrote:
Shy wrote:
I had the option to get Mono/Poly separately.

This is incorrect. As an existing owner of KLC-1 you were able to upgrade to KLC-AE2007, but the KLC-AE2007 software (i.e. the installer) contains more than the Mono/Poly.

It contains more than Mono/Poly and it's an entire package to others, but to KLC-1 owners it's in fact advertised by Korg as an upgrade to get Mono/Poly.

MartinHines wrote:
Shy wrote:
Thanks for the clarification. Well, that's wonderful. I had no idea the version of Wavestation I have is no longer supported.

Your version is still "supported", meaning tech support.

Based on the amount of "support" from Korg I've seen in threads here, I can just hope that's true.

MartinHines wrote:
Shy wrote:

I could get KLC Digital Edition for a 33% discount. Not 50%. For some reason I have to pay $25 just to be able to get the latest version of something I already bought.

When you buy any software, there is no guarantee that the developer will continue to update that product forever, and definitely no guarantee all updates will be free.

Did I say I expect Korg to keep updating these products forever? I merely expect to be able to get updates for a product for a sensible amount of time without having to pay extra. If anyone claims that Korg's addition of some filter and GUI changes to a newer version means that it's justified and so worth it or whatever, that's just fine, but I don't like that. However, I far more dislike the non-US customers discrimination. The distributor here acknowledges nothing about any kind of deal.

MartinHines wrote:
Shy wrote:

There is nothing "forced" about it. You can continue to use your Wavestation v1.2 with your existing computer forever -- no one is forcing you to buy the newer version.

The "forced" part came from the fact that I thought the older version is no longer updated or supported and that if someone wants a trouble free software they'd have to upgrade with such a special deal.

MartinHines wrote:
Shy wrote:

The KLC-DE, with the M1 EX and all additional ROM cards, and the T-series with all of the optional disks, is easily worth $149, even forgetting about the Wavestation. I don't know anyone who has regretted buying the KLC-DE, and all of the people I know paid full price.

I look at more than the money. I have enough money to get several copies if I wanted, and I still couldn't care less about how much it's "worth it" money-wise. If I don't like the way the company handles their stuff and customers, to me it's not worth it.
MartinHines
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shy wrote:
Based on the amount of "support" from Korg I've seen in threads here, I can just hope that's true.

Just to clarify, this is NOT an official Korg Support forum. This is a USER Forum. There are some Korg people who pop in here from time to time but this is NOT the official way to get support.

The "Official" Korg Product Support is provided by your Korg Country Distributor, who has dedicated support people:
http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/index.html

Shy wrote:

The "forced" part came from the fact that I thought the older version is no longer updated or supported and that if someone wants a trouble free software they'd have to upgrade with such a special deal.

There is no question that Korg created a confusing situation by moving one product from one bundle to the other (i.e. moving Wavestation from KLC to KLC-DE).

Shy wrote:

I don't like the way the company handles their stuff and customers, to me it's not worth it.

Not buying the KLC-DE is definitely your perogative, but you really will be missing out on alot. Your original question regarded how do you get the M1. The "answer" is Korg decided to create a separate product (KLC-DE) that just happens to be bundled with the Wavestation. Korg was definitely not obligated to treat the M1 as simply an add-on to the KLC-1.

I own both the KLC-AE2007 and the KLC-DE, and I think both are great products.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Legacy Collection All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: