Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sampling on Triton: Thoughts on Recording Level

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton Extreme
View previous topic :: View next topic  
elevated

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:31 am    Post subject: Sampling on Triton: Thoughts on Recording Level Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I've only just discovered how powerful the Triton can be as sampler, after spending the last two weeks creating a massive drum kit from a friend's analog drum module (the amazing Vermona DRM1).

I originally thought that I would end up sampling the drum hits into Sony Soundforge, but it actually turned out to be quicker and easier to use the Triton. After a few important settings-- namely: Threshold Trigger at -36 db, and a Pre Trigger REC at 8 ms-- I was flying through the samples! I guess I shouldn't be so surprised, the real reason I bought this workstation is that it excels at so many things. Surprised

Anyway, my question: For everyone sampling on the Triton, are you leaving the "Recording Level" at 0 db, or raising it until just below the point where it says "CLIP!!"?

Now, I'm not talking about the gain knob on the back of the board-- I know this should be cranked up to the point just below the "ADC OVERLOAD!!" message.

I pulled out my manuals and found an interesting contradiction between the Operation Guide and the Parameter Guide:

According to the Parameter Guide (p. 108):
"Adjust Recording Level to the maximum level that does not cause "CLIP!!" to appear."

According to the Operation Guide (p.65):
Korg recommends the Recording Level be left at 0 db for sampling external input, or left at -12 db for resampling.

This may sound like I'm nit-picking, but I become a real perfectionist when it comes to sound design. Smile

Thanks,
Jake
elevated

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I the only one doing serious sampling on the Triton here? I had expected at least one response. Maybe this would be better off in the Triton Studio section?
bquarrie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi.

As far as recording level is concerned - I would leave it at 0db. Reason being that if you record the external input through IFX for example, you need some extra headroom to avoid digital distortion after processing.

The same thing could be said about re-sampling or in-track sampling, it's all about headroom, except in Korg's case -12db (!) is more than enough for it.

Just my 2$

Bryan

My Music webpage:

www.soundclick.com/bryanqproductions
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton Extreme All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: