Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Version 2 ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
khol

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:09 pm    Post subject: Version 2 ? Reply with quote

Hi there,
Havnt bought an M3 yet, but have read tons and tons of threads about it, listened to demos, watchen vids etc...

From what i can tell, it seems like a nice machine.
Will find a dealer with a demo-M3 that i can try out.

Even tho, there is allways up's and down's with every new product. The down's i have found is both hardware and software related.

And i was wondering.... what do you guys think... is KORG gonna release a version 2 of the M3 due to the down's ?

I wouldnt expect that someone from KORG would make a statement in this matter, but what do you think?

The downsides i have noticed is a few button-fading-issues, poor framequality and that the interface seems to respond slowly (changing combis etc.). There has also been a few voices spoken about that there should be more preprogrammed combis etc, but i would guess that that can be managed with software update ?

I just watched the 6-part video-demo from Sam Ash, and i noticed that the demoguy said that the EXB-RADIAS come with some preprogrammed program-modes, but he didnt mention if there also is preprogrammed combis ?!
Voltan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there are no pre-programmed combis with the Exb-Radias
about the frame quality - looks good to me. I guess the 61-key version might be a bit weaker - its different for sure - but I don't know about it really - they all seem ok to me.
lcmorley

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had mine for about 6 months now.

I use it every day, and have no button issues. Sure they are a little soft to the touch, but I prefer that to the hard touch on the triton range.

I would probably go for the 73key + as the 61 key chassis is a little on the plastic side for my liking.

That said, this is an amazing sounding instrument, and I would still recommend it to anybody!

The issue with delays when changing combis is also apparent on the Oasys as far as I am aware, so this is a Korg trait.

Please checkout my music at www.soundcloud.com/lcmorley

My Gear History (from 11 years old until now):
Yamaha PSR-31, Technics KN1000, Technics KN5000, Technics KN7000, Korg PA-80, Korg Triton Classic, Microkorg, Korg Triton Studio, Alesis Ion, Korg Legacy Collection, Korg Triton Extreme, Roland Juno D, Access Virus TI 2, Korg M3, Korg Oasys, Roland TR-8, Korg Kronos 2 88 Platinum.
kimu
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pesonally i think that like any new product line, korg has already planned updating and upgrading to M3 sw and sounds and also i believe that about 99% of them will be carried out by firmware or software upgrade.

anyway, no one can say that it would not be like triton serie and in 2-3 years we would see a M3 Extreme o something like that on the shelf.

just look e.g. to clavia lead series, they have done lead 1, lead 2, lead 3 and lead 2x....also for motif si quite the same...

btw, i think M3 is long-term product... so if you like the sounds (the most important think overall) buy it.
klarnet basowy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think M3 doesn't need a version 2.. It's already a great workstation. For me, if only I can in a future create my own arpeggio patterns, M3 is "my perfect synth".
rfoshaug

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kimu wrote:
btw, i think M3 is long-term product...

Agreed.

I think there will be a series of M3 type products, with the same synthesis and general concept, but more and more refined. The M3 series will probably last for a decade or so, just like the Triton did. In 3 years, the M3 will be known as "M3 classic".

That said, the M3 Classic will last for a long time on its own. My guess is that we'll see some USB-PCM expansions on the 2008 winter NAMM.

I also believe there will be a version 2.0 of the operating system for M3 (1.1 is just about to be released). It might not be called 2.0, but most likely, it will. Communication with Stephen Kay's software and storage of user GE's created with it will probably be the main features here. And hopefully, the ability to turn any phrase in the sequencer into a simple GE for programmable arpeggios etc.

But other than that, I don't look at the M3 as full of flaws and problems. I think it's an excellent workstation and I haven't regretted for a moment that I upgraded from Korg Karma to M3 (even though the Karma was very good as well).
MartinHines
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Version 2 ? Reply with quote

khol wrote:
And i was wondering.... what do you guys think... is KORG gonna release a version 2 of the M3 due to the down's ?

Similar to the Triton series, I would expect Korg to release an expanded/updated M3; however I wouldn't expect to see it for at least 2 years from now.
klarnet basowy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Version 2 ? Reply with quote

MartinHines wrote:

Similar to the Triton series, I would expect Korg to release an expanded/updated M3; however I wouldn't expect to see it for at least 2 years from now.

The good thing (I guess) it's that this update involves only the module, not the keybed. So you can upgrade the M3 without changing the keyboard.
Cool Cool
Synthoid
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voltan wrote:
about the frame quality - looks good to me. I guess the 61-key version might be a bit weaker - its different for sure - but I don't know about it really - they all seem ok to me.

I'm confused.....I thought all the M3 "frames" were the same, just larger.
Trinity2112
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 61 frame is just one big piece of molded plastic.
Current Korg Lineup: Kronos 61, Oasys 76 · M3-61/RADIAS · Trinity Plus/HDR · 01/WFD · 01R/W · X3R · M3R · Wavestation EX · Wavestation SR · Triton Rack/MOSS · Z1EX · TR-Rack · Karma · D3200 · iM1 · iWavestation · iMono/Poly
Other Synths: Berhinger Deepmind 12 · iProphet · Moog Model D
Dearly departed: X3
Voltan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 61 frame is different, 73 and 88 are pretty much the same (all-metal)
khol

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to a store last night.
They had both 61 and 88 key that i tried out.

Besides that the 88 key is a BIG MOTHER it felt a million times better in quality.

If the 73 key is built with ther same tech as the 88 key, i would say that thats the one to go for.

Didnt like the weighted 88-keys tho, but the 73-key is'nt weighted as far as i know.
lcmorley

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am still a little confused when it comes to the keybeds.

Are you able to buy a 73 keybed on it's own, and attach a module to it?

Please checkout my music at www.soundcloud.com/lcmorley

My Gear History (from 11 years old until now):
Yamaha PSR-31, Technics KN1000, Technics KN5000, Technics KN7000, Korg PA-80, Korg Triton Classic, Microkorg, Korg Triton Studio, Alesis Ion, Korg Legacy Collection, Korg Triton Extreme, Roland Juno D, Access Virus TI 2, Korg M3, Korg Oasys, Roland TR-8, Korg Kronos 2 88 Platinum.
Voltan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khol wrote:
Didnt like the weighted 88-keys tho, but the 73-key is'nt weighted as far as i know.

The keys are semi-weighted in 73, just like the 61 ones. Very nice key-action really. The frame - well, I never had a chance to touch an 88 myself, but I think it's the same as 88 - a metal frame with removable aluminium plates on it (so you can install a Radias-R module). Looks good and feels good.
Quote:
I am still a little confused when it comes to the keybeds.

Are you able to buy a 73 keybed on it's own, and attach a module to it?

For now they're not sold separately but AFAIK - they will.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg M3 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: