Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to play....thread
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pagey

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:35 pm    Post subject: How to play....thread Reply with quote

How about a thread for anyone learning to play the keyboard or wanting to improve on their playing skills?

I'm sure there's a vast array of people on here from beginner to concert pianist and it would be nice to have a section that deals with playing rather than programming.

I for one am self taught by ear, never had a lesson in my life and probably have loads of bad habbits but would benefit from some guidance/tips on playing for example - How is one supposed to play the GM7(add13) chord with the left hand as I only have 5 fingers and the chord has 7 notes?
or
Is there an idiot proof scientific correct way that says what finger should play which note in a chord and why?

A bit off the beaten track I know but I would be interested in peoples thoughts on this.

Korg Kronos61, Triton Extreme 61, M50
shrike
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Is there an idiot proof scientific correct way that says what finger should play which note in a chord and why?

There are some laws on pretty much everything related to playing skill.

So, there are some orders which finger plays first, second, third and so on in a scale in one tonality. And orders are different for some tonalities, for example, scale in C major begins with first finger, meaning thumb finger. But in D# major scale begins with second finger to play it properly throughout the whole scale (meaning full octave or two or more octaves) and you don't use fifth finger in that scale, for example.

Relating to chords, there are some common ways to properly press chords. If you press full chord (for example in F major, F A C F would be a full chord), you should move your hand in way that your fingers don't get in a way one to another, to change chords without any problem. If you find your fingers to get in a way one to another, then it's definitely something wrong with the way you play.

That goes for both hands - left hand usually plays chords and right hand solo; fingers on each hands should follow one another easy and smooth, no fuss whatsoever.

As you probably guess, there is no simple way to learn playing skill just within a few posts of ours.

I suggest you to try to look for some books on music theory - about notes, chords, bars and bits, scales, fingers orders in scales, tonalities, chord mathematics in each tonality...

To teach you all this, you and I should occupy this section and this thread for longer period.

I have some books in pdf, but they are on Croatian language, my language that is, and I don't know of similar books on English, but look for it, let's say "music theory", "music basics", "playing skills" and similar phrases are probably some pointers google should be able to work with and find you some books.

And I recommend you strongly to find someone educated, meaning not just "learned by ear" musician, but educated in music school or by private lessons, and pay him/her for lessons - most valuable way of learning, IMO. I never went in music school, had a private lessons for seven years, and I know everything I need to know about things written above.

Not that I have something against musicians who learned to play "by ear", I know some musicians who manage to play very nice and never had a single lesson, but when it comes to most complicated pieces, their fingers aren't properly trained and they can't play them.

And we all achieve to play those most complicated things, don't we?

Best regards,

shrike
Voltan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Not that I have something against musicians who learned to play "by ear", I know some musicians who manage to play very nice and never had a single lesson, but when it comes to most complicated pieces, their fingers aren't properly trained and they can't play them.

And that would be me Wink
Well, not really, I had some private lessons when I started playing (not much though) and gone a loooong way (several years) playing by myself and it was ok... some people at my band's gigs even told me I was a keyboard god or something with all that soloing and stuff but obviously they didn't have a clue Laughing But then I tried some more complicated stuff. I guess you just can't get away from some things. There's a reason why piano techniques haven't changed over centuries Smile
By just playing the keyboard myself I managed to play pretty fast stuff that impressed a lot of people but that really was nothing (works with the chicks though Laughing). I never considered myself a good player but I'm getting there Wink
Right now I'm all "back to the basics", re-learning the thing I should have learned in the very first place Wink
Someone on these forums (EJ2, I believe) suggested that I should try Czerny's excersises and I find them fantastic. I've been playing some of them for like 2 weeks and I already see an improvement. Still got enough to go for the next few months or even more Wink
jazlover
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To your question about too much chord and not enough fingers, there are some basic rules that are fun to work with. Typically Jazz players (and studio players) play two-fisted chords where the important notes must be in there with perhaps the high note being the melody note. Everything else is his own recipe (whatever sound he is going for).

Some notes of the chord are very important (the essence of the chord), the rest is like cooking ... you season according to taste . For example, everybody's Mom may have made Apple Pie. Some things have to be in it, in order for it to be Apple Pie (like Apple, crust somewhere, and some sweetener of some sort). Those are essentials, without them every one is saying "what do you call this?" Now your Mom may use brown sugar...or nutmeg....or a bit of salt, whatever else she uses to make it her own way ( the way you like it). This is the same wonderful process for coloring chords. This will make your ear smile.

Chords have few important notes, eg. Cmin7 (the minor 3rd and the 7th)..... Cmaj7 (major 3rd and major 7th) ..... C7 (major 3rd and regular 7th). These notes must be in there or it is another chord. The least important notes are generally... the bass note ( or the root) and the fifth. These notes (unless they have a special function found in certain music genres) are heard by the ear anyway whether you play them or not. These notes are heard in the overtones of the piano and in your head. You will likely have a bass player anyway. Let him lay the bass down.

Chords that are more complex like GM7(add 13), the 13th becomes an important note. Truly there are only three very important notes in this chord (the D, the F# and the E). Many of us use polychords like a partial GM7th in the left hand and a Dmaj or a Amaj in the right hand.

Also the note of the melody are often important. Try playing around with these rules and see if it doesn't give you cool sounds with fingers left over.

Finally here are some examples. Try them and listen to the magic.
A typical chord arrangement for blues in C: play the left hand (B flat, E and A) for C7 and (A, E flat and G) for F7.
Try this two fisted chord for a Cmaj7 (notes E,B,C,D and G). This hasn't even scratched the surface.
Voltan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a nice and useful post! Very Happy
pagey

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are just the type of things i wanted.

Please keep this thread alive Very Happy

fitless

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fingering on the keyboard should be comfortable as well. If it feels awkward, figure out a new way to play the music.

Playing 2 notes with one finger (especially 1st finger, or thumb) can be very handy.

Basic stuff, but sometimes overlooked.

Les
jazlover
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there is more interest in this sort of thing, (theory, harmony) we can keep it going. I have always thought that more people (in this forum) are interested in the technical aspects of hardware, software, and recording. We can share principals we use successfully in our own playing.

All of these rules are simply strategies. The ear is always the real judge to whether they work or not. I will try to adds some more through the week.

Two-fisted chords tend to sound better if they are built like a pyramid. The left hand (the bottom of the pyramid) has a wider spread of notes and the right hand (the top) has a smaller spread of note. For example: the left hand may spread from the root to the ninth while the right hand is a simple triad. If you spread the note more on the top the chords (for standards chords) then the chords does not sound as good.
mdh

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jazlover wrote:
If you spread the note more on the top the chords (for standards chords) then the chords does not sound as good.

Unless you arpeggiate the chord... for example the intro here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lpDz4ADhrg

Similarly if you play simultaneous bass notes of close proximity you get the sonic equivalent of mud. Remember this especially if you play with a bass guitarist (or double bass, etc) - generally best then to keep your left hand light (or on some controller knob or something other than the keys). Keep the bass spread wide if you're going to chord it.
pagey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok another Question.

I have some sheet music I want to play and it has Cb chords above the music. How do you play a Cb chord? I didn't think there was one or is it just played as a B?

Lorenzo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes it's a B... the only difference is the theory... when you're playing in G scale you have to hit the F# note and you call it F#, but the key is the same as the Gb... but due to the theory we know that the scales are C G D A etc all with # and F Bb Eb etc etc with b (then there are some more differences due to the different tuneing... so that you have differences in commas but there is no practical application of this)
regards, Lorenzo
pagey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Lorenzo

Ultimate Dj
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heya,
just found this awesome thread. Very Happy
and i need some help (duh). This may be to big a question to ask here but im gonna try anyways Twisted Evil Very Happy !
Im trying to create a Dance/Trance song. and i need some help with the drumkit.
I tried taking apart the Combi in my Oasys called Summer Anthem and this helped a bunch but i still need some more advice. pretty much i want to know how to play the cymbals that make a dance song without over killing it but without getting bored with it either.
so any help lyk what exact keys to play in wat order...etc! Very Happy Very Happy
Thanks alot! whateva u can add pleazee do!
thnx

Pura Vida
DJ Cool
jazlover
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Unless you arpeggiate the chord... for example the intro here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lpDz4ADhrg

Great point...I found your example distracting. I watched Vanessa's video three times before I realized she was playing an instrument..... Pretty Girl Rolling Eyes
Ok , I don't watch music video much........Yeah, It is a sad life I lead.

Ok, back to music. If you know the important notes to play in a chord, it opens up new ways of playing. The Stride piano style comes to mind when I think about this. In Stride Blues style, you play the bass then the chord with the left hand while you improvise with the right hand (example below). There probably isn't much interest in this style here but it is a great way to improve your left hand skills and it is very usable with blues solo playing. The example I have is of my left hand playing Stride style playing (C7, A7, D7, G7) or (C7, Eb7, D7, G7). When I play the Stride chord, I am playing the important note only. For example: C7...important notes (E, Bb), also : A7.... important notes (C#, G). D7....important notes (F#, C) and G7....important notes (B, F).

My left-handed example: http://www.korgforums.com/mp3/Stride_Style.mp3

I am not a great stride player but listen to this guy (at around 2.07 mins)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwbgE11262M&feature=related
Ultimate Dj
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ultimate Dj wrote:
Heya,
just found this awesome thread. Very Happy
and i need some help (duh). This may be to big a question to ask here but im gonna try anyways Twisted Evil Very Happy !
Im trying to create a Dance/Trance song. and i need some help with the drumkit.
I tried taking apart the Combi in my Oasys called Summer Anthem and this helped a bunch but i still need some more advice. pretty much i want to know how to play the cymbals that make a dance song without over killing it but without getting bored with it either.
so any help lyk what exact keys to play in wat order...etc! Very Happy Very Happy
Thanks alot! whateva u can add pleazee do!
thnx

Pura Vida
DJ Cool

Just thought i'd re ask! Smile Smile Very Happy

Pura Vida
DJ Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Music All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: