Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Level meters
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Digital Recording and Mixing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gin2

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:59 pm    Post subject: Level meters Reply with quote

mine hardly move at all.

the only tiome they have, was when i had a house party, the gain was up quite a bit on the channel and the master was also cranked up... they then moved but basically went from 0 to peaking (with the little red flashing lights)

anyone else have this problem?
subterFUSE

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. We all have this problem.
Gin2

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh...... Rolling Eyes

i feel.....sad Crying or Very sad

so i guess we hang tight then?
subterFUSE

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I have found that the Zero 8 mixer just likes to be run hot. Many of us are experiencing a very loud noise floor with the Zero mixers. To combat this, I have resorted to turning the volume Way down on my monitors, and then running my signals out of the Korg very hot. (ie channel gains turned up, and master cranked to full)

I have noticed that under these conditions, the Peak meters will operate and the sound quality from the mixer is fine. By turning my monitors way down, it decreases the hiss of the noise floor. So this is just how I run my Korg now.
Gin2

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the tip subterfuse - i'll cranks up the channel and master gain and see how i go from there
firstaudio

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:21 am    Post subject: i can't increase the gains... Reply with quote

subterFUSE wrote:
Personally, I have found that the Zero 8 mixer just likes to be run hot. Many of us are experiencing a very loud noise floor with the Zero mixers. To combat this, I have resorted to turning the volume Way down on my monitors, and then running my signals out of the Korg very hot. (ie channel gains turned up, and master cranked to full)

I have noticed that under these conditions, the Peak meters will operate and the sound quality from the mixer is fine. By turning my monitors way down, it decreases the hiss of the noise floor. So this is just how I run my Korg now.

how are you able to increase the gains on the channel ?
if i go past 12clock, it starts clipping and the sounds gets distorted.

this really sucks!!!! we paid for a professional VU meter that doesnt work!
how can korg pass this off as a working product?! seems like a little QA (quality assurance) work would have caught something like this.
Gin2

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: i can't increase the gains... Reply with quote

firstaudio wrote:
how are you able to increase the gains on the channel ?if i go past 12clock, it starts clipping and the sounds gets distorted.

i haven't tried it yet, but surely you crank the master right up, and then adjust your channel gains from there? or does yours simply go from zero to hero?
firstaudio

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:32 am    Post subject: Re: i can't increase the gains... Reply with quote

Gin2 wrote:
firstaudio wrote:
how are you able to increase the gains on the channel ?if i go past 12clock, it starts clipping and the sounds gets distorted.

i haven't tried it yet, but surely you crank the master right up, and then adjust your channel gains from there? or does yours simply go from zero to hero?

you're right, i think i can crank the master up, and that might move the channels, but in that case is the vu meters accurate ?
tablet

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:54 pm    Post subject: Gain and VU meter problem!!! Reply with quote

I have the same problems with the levels but i notice that only if you put a microphone the gain will be at 12 o'clock and will sounds little better than line in gain level but the VU meter is still not moving at all...WE NEED AN UPDATE!!!!!!!
miim

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys, use ZEROEDIT (I/O tab) and change the bus for the meters (top right) to the channels you use for audio. I use channel 8 for my master audio (from ableton) so in ZEROEDIT I changed the bus for the meters to 8L/8R (channel 8 ). Not sure why its like this, but it is.

PS. Have your master level up and if you're receiving audio over firewire you may have to increase the gain on this track. As stated above my master audio from ableton is ch.8. I increased it untill the meters were about minus 3 to 5 db.
Hope this helps.

Mo
djg3_me

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine have never moved........nice to look at even if their non-functional! Sad
miim

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They do work I even get them to clip. Most audio programs default audio to output 1/2. This channel 1 on your mixer. 3/4 channel 2... and so on. If you have audio on channel 1 (bus1/2) open zeroedit, input/output tab then top right corner (where the meters are) theres a drop down box. Select 1L/1R (channel 1 stereo left/right). Save the change to your mixer. Now turn your master volume knob up to max (clockwise). Now adjust the channel 1 volume fader to increase/decrease your meter levels.

Try it...
subterFUSE

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read what I said above.

They do work. However they require that the levels be cranks near full before they move a noticable amount, and they clip only at full volume on Master with channel gain turned nearly full.

Having to turn up the channel gains that high is not normal for a mixer. The reason the channel gains have a detent click at the 12 o'clock point is because that is where you should normally be operating. Obviously the levels of various source materials change, but you shouldn't need to turn the gain all the way up under normal circumstances.

That is why I feel the output on this mixer is not where it should be. Korg is most likely working on a replacement for the Master Bus unit which will address this issue..... which is also tied to the noise floor issue. An audible noise floor like the hiss we all are getting on this mixer is the result of poor signal/noise ratio. The signal the mixer is putting out is not strong enough to overcome the noise floor. So to combat this I have been cranking up the output of the mixer with the master volume and channel gains. This boosts the signal output, and the noise floor remains steady. So the signal/noise ratio is increased. Then I just turn down my monitors' input gains and I no longer hear the hiss as badly. The hiss is still there, it's just must quieter than the music.
miim

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it was more for the fellas with the "mine don't work at all" sort of comments. I do agree with you they don't work as they should, my gain is at 2 o'clock not at 12 as you stated for normal position. Sorry if I came of as condescending but it wasn't geared towards you and I'm simply trying to help as people like yourself have helped me. Thanks by the way. I love the ext. sync feature.
ps I haven't experienced a noise or hiss problem as you are describing. Can you hear it at lower volume levels? or in headphones? I will checkout more info on other threads.

Mo
firstaudio

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:03 am    Post subject: levels dont work Reply with quote

miim wrote:
Well it was more for the fellas with the "mine don't work at all" sort of comments. I do agree with you they don't work as they should, my gain is at 2 o'clock not at 12 as you stated for normal position. Sorry if I came of as condescending but it wasn't geared towards you and I'm simply trying to help as people like yourself have helped me. Thanks by the way. I love the ext. sync feature.
ps I haven't experienced a noise or hiss problem as you are describing. Can you hear it at lower volume levels? or in headphones? I will checkout more info on other threads.

Mo

i just wanted to add, at least for me, i just hooked up sl1210m5gs up directly. not software, so i dont do any routing, etc.
with this simple setup:

1) you cant go past 12o'clock on the gains, if i do i clip
2) main is at 3 o'clock and still meters dont move.

so, i really do believe there is a basic problem that they need to fix.
im hoping for an upgrade.

also, just to add, although they solved the cue/balance (losing volume at 12 o'clock) they still have not solved the overall headphone levels. it is too low to use in a club or party setting, where the main level will be loud.

thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Digital Recording and Mixing All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: