Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Questions - saving and loading samples

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BIGHEAD

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:21 pm    Post subject: Questions - saving and loading samples Reply with quote

I have read through the other posts on this topic, but have yet to find anything that answered my specific question.

1) saving - when I save a sample to my SD card, does it save a specific sample to a specific SD slot or all of the currently sampled banks to one SD slot. If the first case is true, how do I indicate which specific sample I want saved to an SD slot?

2) loading - depending on what the answer is to the question above, how do I indicate that I want SD sample 02 to be loaded into bank 4?

Thank you (KAOS masters) in advance for any feed back or direction.
subVert

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like you want to save and load a "Program" and not just a sample. If you save a sample then when you are loading it back you have to choose which pad that it should go to.

If you save a program, that saves everything that is in memory. So if you have 4 pads loaded up with samples, then save a Program and it will save all 4 samples and the pads that they are assigned to. You can save 10 programs on an SD card.. .numbered 0-9. If you save a program as prg0 it will automatically load when you turn your KP3 on with the SD card inserted.

If you are mainly using it as an effects device without saved samples or if you are an impatient person, you might want to avoid saving to slot 0 because you have to wait for the whole program to load before you can start to use the KP3 (or you can just pull out the card before turning it on)
BIGHEAD

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:12 pm    Post subject: thanks for your quick response....... Reply with quote

....but, I was able to find that info (which I believe you quoted/copied directly from the other post) on a previous topic.

more specifically
- HOW do I save just sample pad "X" to SD card slot "X"
and
-HOW do I load SD card slot "X" back into a specific sample pad so that I do not interfere with the samples which are already loaded?
C1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:26 pm    Post subject: It's in the manual Reply with quote

From the manual: http://www.korg.com/service/downloadinfo.asp?DID=1183

Page 18 To save a sample from pad A to a slot on your card
1. Hold down the SHIFT button and press the PROGRAM MEMORY 3 (SAVE) button.
2. Use the PROGRAM/BPM knob to select the type of data you want to save.“SMP.A” – “SMP.D”: Sample data

^^ THIS IS WHAT YOU WANT TO DO ^^
SMP.A-D CORRESPOND TO THE PAD LETTER

“ProG”: Contents of program memory
“ALL”: All files
“GLOb”: Global setting file

3. Press the PROGRAM/BPM knob; the file numbers available for saving will appear;
00–99 for each of the sample bank buttons,
00–09 for all other data types.

Use the PROGRAM/BPM knob to select
the number you want to save.

“-01-”: The selected file number is empty.
“[01]”: The selected file number (in this case, “01”) already contains data, and will be replaced (overwritten) with the data you are saving now.
“[-]”: There is an identically-named file or folder that cannot be written.

4. Press the PROGRAM/BPM knob, then use the PROGRAM/BPM knob to select “yes,” and press the PROGRAM/BPM knob to execute the Save operation. When saving is complete, the display will incate “End.”
Press the SHIFT button to return to normal operation.

To load into a slot, do the same process with LOAD. It's page 19 in the manual
BIGHEAD

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:49 pm    Post subject: you rock! Reply with quote

you hit my problem right on the head, thanks a ton Very Happy
subVert

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: thanks for your quick response....... Reply with quote

BIGHEAD wrote:
....but, I was able to find that info (which I believe you quoted/copied directly from the other post) on a previous topic.

Sorry I guess I misunderstood and might have explained something in the same way as before so it looked like a quote

BIGHEAD wrote:

more specifically
- HOW do I save just sample pad "X" to SD card slot "X"
and
-HOW do I load SD card slot "X" back into a specific sample pad so that I do not interfere with the samples which are already loaded?

It looks like someone posted a solution, but if you have a computer handy you can always use the editor to load and save samples. It might be a bit more self evident that the tiny windows.
BostonGreen

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

obviously not a big reader of manuals then.
manticle

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:52 pm    Post subject: New Sample loading question Reply with quote

I apologise for what is undoubtedly an infuriatingly simple question. I've read the manual, searched, googled and played with various settings and I'm having trouble still. I am slightly retarded though.

I've recently bought a KP3. I have an SD card. I've worked out how to save my samples and reload them. However at the moment I have to load them 1 by 1 (frustrating to say the least - playing live this way would be ludicrous). I have worked out that I can save ALL and therefore load the preferred 4 sample banks at once but this appears to save EVERYTHING, including all 120 effects on to that memory slot and thus loads up like a bitch - again making live play a tedious affair for anyone watching. I'm assuming it would do this for EACH memory slot?

What I want is basically to be able to load a pattern (ie 4 samples each allocated to a bank) as is done with the electribe sampler (for instance).

Am I overlooking something blindingly obvious? Can I load 4 samples as 1 simple pattern?

Cheers if you can help - even if it's a link to the blindingly obvious post/website/manual page number/other thing that I missed
subVert

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: New Sample loading question Reply with quote

manticle wrote:

I've recently bought a KP3. I have an SD card. I've worked out how to save my samples and reload them. However at the moment I have to load them 1 by 1 (frustrating to say the least - playing live this way would be ludicrous). I have worked out that I can save ALL and therefore load the preferred 4 sample banks at once but this appears to save EVERYTHING, including all 120 effects on to that memory slot and thus loads up like a bitch - again making live play a tedious affair for anyone watching. I'm assuming it would do this for EACH memory slot?

What I want is basically to be able to load a pattern (ie 4 samples each allocated to a bank) as is done with the electribe sampler (for instance).

Am I overlooking something blindingly obvious? Can I load 4 samples as 1 simple pattern?

Cheers if you can help - even if it's a link to the blindingly obvious post/website/manual page number/other thing that I missed

I think that using the ProG save instead of the ALL save only sends the sample data for the 4 pads and leaves out all the other parameters. But since the sample data larger than everything else, I don't think you'll see a great improvement in speed.
manticle

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response. When I try that (seemingly the most obvious solution) I simply get my effect parameter loaded. However I've saved 'all' in '1' instead of '0' which seems to have moved things on somewhat. '0' made it chug to load from scratch/power on which made me think there must be a simpler way. I like this little unit and need to explore its capabilities a bit more but I would have assumed you could save entire patterns of sample banks as you can with the ES1. If it's predominantly a DJ unit (I'm not using it for DJing) then surely there's an easier and faster way of loading in previously saved data? If playback is interrupted when you load and each bank takes 30 secs to load DJs must need 5 hands and a 10 minute trance breakdown to make it work for them.

I'm not the world's techiest nerd type person but what I'm trying to do seems so logical to me that I really feel I must be looking and thinking in the wrong place. I'll work it out.

Thanks.
subVert

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

manticle wrote:
Thanks for the response. When I try that (seemingly the most obvious solution) I simply get my effect parameter loaded. However I've saved 'all' in '1' instead of '0' which seems to have moved things on somewhat. '0' made it chug to load from scratch/power on which made me think there must be a simpler way. I like this little unit and need to explore its capabilities a bit more but I would have assumed you could save entire patterns of sample banks as you can with the ES1. If it's predominantly a DJ unit (I'm not using it for DJing) then surely there's an easier and faster way of loading in previously saved data? If playback is interrupted when you load and each bank takes 30 secs to load DJs must need 5 hands and a 10 minute trance breakdown to make it work for them.

I'm not the world's techiest nerd type person but what I'm trying to do seems so logical to me that I really feel I must be looking and thinking in the wrong place. I'll work it out.

Thanks.

Oops, looks like you're right (that's what happens when I try to answer when I'm at the day job and not in front of the music gadgets)I still suspect that the additional data probably isn't a lot of additional overhead.

I would be curious to see if the high speed sd cards that I have seen around make any difference.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg KAOSS All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: