Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

korg TR or korg Triton Extreme?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton Extreme
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rod_ger88

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 3:18 am    Post subject: korg TR or korg Triton Extreme? Reply with quote

which is better, korg TR or korg Triton Extreme? which one has better sounds? major differences of the two? which one would you prefer especially during live performance?
Gargamel314
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rodger -

The Korg TR is basically a suped up Triton LE - it has some added samples in it, an improved piano sound, as well as some other sounds. It has no sampling ability, less polyphony, less PCM Sample ROM, fewer programs and combinations, and a meager effects processor. It's basically the economy Triton class synth.

The Triton Extreme is a fully expanded version of the Triton - it contains ALL PCM ROM ever developed by Korg, the most advanced effects processors, it's the whole 9 yards.

Maybe this will help:

TR
64MB Sample ROM
470 multisamples/518 drum sounds
62 voice polyphony
2 Master effects, 1 insert effect
uses Smart Media Card
In order to be able to sample, you have to buy an expansion board, even then you only have 16MB to play around with
Softkey-driven UI
512 Programs/384 Combinations
only 17.2 lbs (7.8 kg)

Triton extreme

160MB Sample ROM
962 multisamples/1175 drum sounds
120 voice polyphony
2 Master effects, 5 Insert effects
Uses CompactFlash Cards, also USB Drive
Integrated Sampling Mode with 16MB, expandable to 96MB
Touchscreen-driven UI
Also has a ribbon controller
1344 Programs/1280 Combinations
32 lbs (14.4kg... but it feels a lot heavier to me)

Triton Extreme has the best sounds loaded into it, and is also definitely better for live performance. There are many different sounds to choose from, amazing effects processors, the ribbon controller is great, and hey there's that valve-force thing i never use. Generally i'd much rather have my Extreme for playing live. Hope this helps

Last edited by Gargamel314 on Tue Dec 25, 2007 7:36 am; edited 1 time in total
tritex4
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can get an Extreme before they're all gone, get one.
It's probably the best "bang for the buck" keyboard that Korg has in it's line,
or should I say "had" in it's line.

My thoughts on the TR....meh....it's no Extreme.
You really can't compare the two.
Gargamel314
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tritex4 wrote:
If you can get an Extreme before they're all gone, get one.

It's discontinued? How dare they?!
Nor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best affordable gear even produced by KORG. An what? if you get from USA or UK you can get it with the exb-moss board bundled for about 1700$...I am not sure about the price but do some searches in GOOGLE. You won't never regret it!!!

Any previuos Triton model's PCG or sample files will work in your Extreme, and by the way you can share your extreme files with others who have only previous Triton models.
The Encyclopedia of Jazz Theory for All Musicians
KrzysiekK

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gargamel314 wrote:
Rodger -
The Triton Extreme [...] contains [...] the most advanced effects processors

It was surprise to me when I lately "discovered" thay my TEX has same effects engine as Triton Classic (excluding Valve).

---

rod_ger88, Triton Extreme has great features as MIDI controller, but if you're looking for full velocity range, look elsewhere (i.e. not Korg; I'm sure M3 has similar problems - I saw one thread regarding this; I am starting to feel sorry for Oasys users...). My only (and BIG) complaint about TEX as MIDI controller is about holes in velocity range (it is probably ruined by software, not hardware, tell me if I am wrong). Everything else is great (including aftertouch - I love it, a fingerbreaker Wink). I did extensive tests and best case is velocity curve 6 (as far as I remember) which gives me 95 velocity states (out of 126). However curve 6 is not wide enough (it starts from around 25 velocity value if I remember so only velocity mapping would give something resonable). With my toy-Yammie (~8 times cheaper) I obtain 87 velocity states but wider dynamic range (!). Best curve would be 4 but it still has many holes and starts from velocity=10. What is most interesting that for different curves I get different number of velocity states (hence my opinion that the problem is in software, not hardware). I really don't know why software does not take advantage of full velocity sensing (it looks like velocity force range is divided into regions in Korg /by software - apparently/ and the result is that one can obtain eg. 110 value and the closest value is 124...). At least there should be one 1:1 velocity curve covering whole range without holes - but if one looks into manual - there is no such curve. All in all the good thing is that sum of all curves should give full (or almost full) velocity range. But that is not the case - the problem is that what you see in manual is interpolation; velocity curves drawing should be rewritten as it is misleading. If that was true what I see in manual, there should be constant velocity range (covering all the velocity states for given curve).

I am about to write separate thread in this matter as I am surprissed there is no discussion on this forum regarding this issue. I have drawings ready so everyone would have oportunity see the things.

---

Anyway I like it very much Very Happy it sounds beautiful (I am very fond of what I composed today with it).

Best regards,
Krzysiek
rod_ger88

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 12:49 pm    Post subject: ok thanks to all Reply with quote

thank you everyone for throwing in some suggestions..i appreciate it all..if anyone of you has a Triton Extreme 61 for sale kindly notify me..new or used..Smile or just email me at rod_ger88@yahoo.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton Extreme All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: