Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rapid transposing pushing a button.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton LE / Korg TR
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mustis

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:32 am    Post subject: Rapid transposing pushing a button. Reply with quote

Hi,

Let's see, we play a song in SEQ that has a various refrains and suppose the last 2 refrains are transposed +3.

This happens in many bands, for example in almost all songs of Nightwish.

Well, i do it in SEQ to don't have a cutoff when i change from the sounds of the normal refrain to the sounds of the refrain +3.

But, here's the point: suppose i've 5 programs that make my sound for the refrain. If i want to play the last 2 refrains +3 then i must copy each of the 5 programs, raise them +3, and change from one track to another.

This makes 10 tracks in total, i'm wasting 5 tracks that are the SAME of the anothers but only raised the pitch +3 semitones..

The point is this: there's any way to only pushing a button, transpose ALL THE TRACKS OF THE SEQ to another pitch ? I know it can be done if you want to raise or to lower one octave, but the other pitches?

I tryed a parcial solution but it doesn't work well: Turn all to the right the joystick (Joy+x) and press SW2, this will LOCK all the SEQ +2 semitones up. If you want another pitch you must change it program per program..

This works well, but the problem is that you loose too much time turning the joy and pressing the SW2. If the change of sound should be at the moment then this is not factible.

Any ideas ?

Oh, another question: When changing from one track to another in SEQ, suppose i'm playing a chord. If i press INC WHILE I'M STILL playing the chord then it does nothing.

If i press INC WHEN I FINISHED playing the chord then it changes the track the way i wanted.

There's any way to make that when i press INC it changes the track no matter if i'm playing the keys or not ??

In my ooooooooooold Yamaha PSR when you can play a chord and when (still playing) change of voice, the chord keeps playing as if nothing occurred and when you play next chord it will sound with the new voice.

This is essentially what i want to achieve, because the way it does Korg TR is a little bit annoying for me, after being used to the way that Yamaha changes the voices.

A big thank YOUUU in advance you wise guys!! Smile
Jako

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if I understood correctly, but why don't you just transpose using the option in the 'Global' settings?
Mustis

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jacko, certainly you can do that but it's not fast enough if you're in the middle of the song and in the next second you must play the refrain transposed.

I mean you don't have enough time when you perform live to go the global settings.

Of course another possibility is to learn the refrain transposed +3, but i would prefer to keep playing the same notes and that it sounds like it was transposed.

(i mean if i play "C" that it sounds "D#". Of course you could play first C and then D# but i would prefer to play C and then C another time (but the second time sounds like D#)
Jako

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I understand what you mean, but I can't offer a solution, sorry...

If anything comes to my mind, I will let you know...
Fatalmasterpiece

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I can say is, it makes more sense to me to just play it higher on the keys... and if you physically can't do that with how complex the song is, then why attempt to play it? I just never saw the point to "playing" something that you actually aren't playing and are incapable of playing.
Mustis

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree in part.

What's the interest on learning exactly the same refrain but three keys to the right ? If you know how to play the refrain in it's original tone it's nonsense for me wasting my memory on learning something that doesn't give anything new to me.

If you learn maaany songs i think it's better that that kind of modulation is made "automatically". That's one of the key aspects of electronic keyboards i think. It makes easier to remember quickly the songs.

Example of real life: I've a bunch of 5 Nightwish songs. At the end, all of them make exactly the same refrain but transposed (Nemo, Sleeping Sun, Over the Hills and Far Away, Amaranth and End of All Hope) (except End of All Hope).

I know many other songs but i find it's wasting space in my brain's memory to learn something i already know how to play but transposed. It wastes spaces that could be occupied by more songs, do you understand my point of view ?

After all, if it can be done in a cheap Yamaha, why not in a Korg TR? Wink

PS: Remember that you have a octave up, octave down function... why not a +3, -3 function or whatever the number you want ?
Fatalmasterpiece

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see what you are saying... personaly though I just remember finging positions and move my hand up... so its not really that hard since its playing the exact same thing, just that my hand is a foot or so to the right.

However, it should be possible to do this by assigning a pedal perhaps in the global function?
Mustis

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

...so its not really that hard since its playing the exact same thing, just that my hand is a foot or so to the right.

It's true for melodies (not for all of them) but not for chords. Imagine C minor: You play C, D# and G. If you transpose C minor +3 you've to play D#, F# and A#.

You can't try yourself and will see that the position of the hand is not the same moved to the right, it's different (in the first position you play one black key and 2 white keys and in the second position you play 3 black keys).

The refrains of Nightwish for example are full of this kind of chords.

I'll try what you say of the pedal and the global function. Now, less than in one hour I'm leaving for a trip to another country, have a happy next year and merry Christmas!
Couto

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I post a reply on an old topic sometime ago, check this out:
http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=182366#182366

I know it's an old topic but I figure out a way to transpose with the SWs.

In PROGRAM mode go to: Menu > Pitch > OSC1 > Pitch AMS (the top-right AMS)

Change the AMS to SW 1 #80
Set the Intensity to -01.00 for a half-step down

Note: If your PROGRAM has two Oscilators do the same thing to the Pitch AMS and its Intensity in OSC2

Then go to: Menu > Ctrl and assing your SW1 to SW1 Mod. (CC#80)

Check if you don't have any other modulation using the same MIDI control change applied to the SW1, like chorus for instance, because when you press the SW1 to affect the pitch it will also add chorus.

You can use this setting assigned to a Knob. Try changing the Pitch AMS (in both Oscilators if it's the case) to KnobM2#19, with +01.00 in the Intensity, and check in the CTRL if the Knob2-B is set to Knob Mod.2 (CC#19). So when you turn the Knob left the Pitch will decrease half-step, in the center won't change and to the right will increase a half-step.

Hope that helps. Smile
Mustis

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That worked fine. Good job Couto. Thank you! Very Happy
Couto

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mustis wrote:
That worked fine. Good job Couto. Thank you! Very Happy

You're welcome man. I'm glad that helped you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton LE / Korg TR All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: