Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

korg m3 or oasys
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BADMANN

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 2:36 pm    Post subject: korg m3 or oasys Reply with quote

im debating on which i should buy m3 or oasys i played them both at gtc and i love the oasys and the m3 but im confused on which i should buy? how similar r they in terms of sound quality ,of course the m3 will save money but does the oasys have alot more patches and combis ? what would you choose if you had 6gs too spend?
kbrkr
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just purchased the M3 and it's good value for the money, but the Oasys gives you 1 singular important benefit over the M3; Extensibility/Expandability. The entire sound engine of the Oasys is software driven. The M3 uses Multi-Samples in addition to the Radias.

There are many more differences. You will get that killer Korg sound with both.

If I had the 6K, I'd go with the Oasys; hands down.

Al
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: korg m3 or oasys Reply with quote

BADMANN wrote:
im debating on which i should buy m3 or oasys i played them both at gtc and i love the oasys and the m3 but im confused on which i should buy? how similar r they in terms of sound quality ,of course the m3 will save money but does the oasys have alot more patches and combis ? what would you choose if you had 6gs too
spend?

all the spec/technical answers are here:

http://www.karma-lab.com/forum/showthread.php?s=fafd415c23300173189421723fd6dde5&threadid=8573

what would I do ? I don't necessarily think like you, play like you, and vice versa. So I don't believe thats the best question

I can afford the oasys but feel I wouldn't have the time to give it the attention. I know I will purchase it one day

Meanwhile, I am having a great time with the M3-M and my other boards
BADMANN

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx for the reply, i have 6gs but was only looking to spend 5 if i could find a used one i know there both great, but besides my mpc 4k i wont have money for anything else sound wise is it safe vtoo say you dont need anything else once you get an oasys?i no the xs is cool also being hearing alot about trinity and analog gear like a6 and ti .say you get a m3 and a cool analog synth or xs thats really more of my debate one big workhorse or smaller workstation with a few other pieces to add with it?
dorremifasol

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OASYS without any doubt. The difference in sound quality is huge, if that's what you are looking for...
Lorenzo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it may really depends on your actual setup... if you have no other workstation or hardware synths and you don't gig a lot the oasys is the way to go (mainly for studio purpouse); if you gig a lot and you like to have different sounds at your disposal go for the m3 and add some other cool stuff to it, a real analog, a good va a computer with softsynth etc etc...
about the audio quality: there are plenty of album out there recorded with old keyboards that didn' have that audio quality, and they still sell a lot, if you're searching for instruments close to the original acoustic instrument take your time to listen to some software synth and sampler, they work faaaaaar better than any Oasys for the realism of the emulation (anyway Oasys has a sampler so the other side is to still buy the oasys but buy some good sounds library for it)... it's really a subjective matter so don't trust who just say buy the oasys or buy the m3.
Unknown Sound

Location: On a small island just off the coast of an island not to far from Antarctica

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on what you need. The OASYS can't do everything well. The sounds are the best but the Sequencer is the worst. It is still a Workstation aimed at people that want all in one solutions. But...there are very few people here that just own an OASYS, they also have other gear.

After a lot of research and soul searching I decided to go the mulit-gear way rather than one size fits all. I bought an M3 which sits very well in my other gear (RADIAS, Virus TI, Trinity, Wavestation). You see, each synth brings it's own character to a mix.

Now, if you're producing movie soundtracks...then get an OASYS! otherwise, the M3 + other synths (of your choice) should serve you well.

_US.
Sina172
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Sina172 on Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lorenzo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

as Sina saied it's not a matter of money, I've payed the equivalent of an oasys for what I have in studio right now, and when I didn't have the money I found some job to get them. I have to do a clarification here on sound quality: many people talk about sound quality but they do not tell you what they mean with those words.
as an audio technician I can tell you (as any other people can do to) that "sound quality" is given by 1 Sample rate (so 48 KHz is a really good frequency if you're a bat), 2 Noise flore (usually there is no noise flore in sample rom... but...), 3 D-A Conversion this is really really important if you use analog outs to record. These parameters have all some unity to measure them... KHz, S/N ratio, etc... this mean that this matter is OBJECTIVE

If we are talking about 1 how a sample sounds real, 2 how a synth sounds Analog, 3 how the effects give life to the sound and so on, we aren't talk about sound quality and we are entering in a subjective word cos simply you have to trust people ears, knowledge and experience to have a judgement on any thing.

at this point I can tell you for sure that the Audio Quality of the Oasys is REALLY GOOD. But the Audio Quality of other synth like the K2661 and i.e. the V-Synth XT are REALLY GOOD to, that The Motif Rack ES is REALLY GOOD and that the triton classic and the virus have some noise in the output so they are GOOD but not REALLY GOOD.
Than I can tell you that the sounds of the v-synth are INCREDIBLE, that the sound of the Virus B sounds ANALOG, that the MOSS board is simply amazing and the guitars and basses of the Motif ES are BETTER than the Oasys, that K2661 have Orchestral sounds that are the best out there... at this point Sharp can jump in and say "NO, Kurzweil sounds are so flippin 80'ish..." and I can reply "you're IRISH, irish ears are smaller than italian ears" he can reply "you F^+*&n italian with mafia pizza napoli express etc etc etc"...
do you understand what I mean?
Regards, Lorenzo
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
K2661 have Orchestral sounds that are the best out there... at this point Sharp can jump in and say "NO, Kurzweil sounds are so flippin 80'ish..." and I can reply "you're IRISH, irish ears are smaller than italian ears" he can reply "you F^+*&n italian with mafia pizza napoli express etc etc etc"...

Smile There's no way you will ever convince me either. Not with only 32MB of ROM and the standard of the demo's posted on their website.

Regards.
Sharp. Wink
Lorenzo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing your irish ears are full of Guinness, you can't appreciate kurzweil quality! Twisted Evil
BADMANN

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i rarely use korg sequencer but sometimes when i want to lay down an idea while playing around i start sequencing on my triton, so when i was at gtc i made a little 8bar loop of a few chords and some drums came out good on th m3 , whats the difference in the oasys ? alot of you were saying the sequencer sux on the oasys?
Unknown Sound

Location: On a small island just off the coast of an island not to far from Antarctica

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love this stuff. Everyone has a perspective and valid opinion.

'It takes all sorts to make a world' -> Tubs, Miami vice season one.

_US.
BADMANN

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

after weeks of debating with myself i devided to purchase the oasys i went to gtc today for one last test and on the sequencer of the m3 and oasys i tried the same patches nd like everybody pointed out the oasys is clearly a better sounding keyboard i also did a 8 bar sequence on both and they equally came out good so hopefully the learning curve of the oasys wont be too deep i was able to get going pretty quick once i found the pages i was looking for. i figure if i get the oasys and im unsatisfied i can always sell it for an m3 Laughing
thx for all the feedback
KarmaKazi

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:37 am    Post subject: korg m3 or oasys Reply with quote

BADMANN

Good for you!

Be sure to check out Mike's "Unofficial" OASYS DVD

= it will get you up to speed fast.

KarmaKazi
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg M3 All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: