Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Just bought a Triton Extreme

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton Extreme
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tritonlover2000

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:53 am    Post subject: Just bought a Triton Extreme Reply with quote

Hi, I just bought a Triton Extreme from Ebay and added a moss board, and I am amazed by the sound quality. I owned a Virus, Nord Lead, Roland, Yamaha, and Korg's smoothness and fatness (expansive sound with presence) beats them all. I simply think Korg effects are fantastic! Initially, I wanted to get an M3, but the reviews of many users on the forums complaining about its cheesy looks and bland sound library steered me towards the Triton Extreme, and boy does it look and sound amazing!

1) However, the keyboard has a small scratch/dent on the right panel. Where can I order the part? Is there a direct number? Is it easy to install (its the small plastic ears on the right side: I guess there are 2 pieces, one on the top and other on the bottom).

2) Also, I expanded the sample memory to 96 MB. Where can I get good ACOUSTIC sample library for the Triton? It seems the Extreme lacks in that department (guitars, acoustic drums, horns, sax: I think Yamaha was better).

3) Also, has somebody used a editor/librarian for the Triton on MAC? I have a PC, so I could get Soundtower for now, but I am planning to switch to a MAC.

4) Has anyone tried Stephen Kay's Karma Triton software? Its no cheapie at $400.00. Will I be able to get a good guitar sample library from somewhere and use Karma to create realistic strums?

Thanks in advance, fellows!

ps: I have an R3 and Radias Rack as well! I just can't get enough of the Korg sound!
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
1) However, the keyboard has a small scratch/dent on the right panel. Where can I order the part? Is there a direct number? Is it easy to install (its the small plastic ears on the right side: I guess there are 2 pieces, one on the top and other on the bottom).

You can order them off any authorised KORG Service Centre.

Quote:
2) Also, I expanded the sample memory to 96 MB. Where can I get good ACOUSTIC sample library for the Triton? It seems the Extreme lacks in that department (guitars, acoustic drums, horns, sax: I think Yamaha was better).

I'm from Ireland and I buy all my Sample CD's (AKAI S1000/S3000 format libraries ) here
www.timespace.com
Don't know where your from, but this should still give you an idea what to look for.

I also sell my own KORG format libraries off of www.irishacts.com
Might be worth a look, although I don't have any libraries that are dedicated to a range of real world sounds. There are generally very specific types of libraries.

Quote:
3) Also, has somebody used a editor/librarian for the Triton on MAC? I have a PC, so I could get Soundtower for now, but I am planning to switch to a MAC.

I don't know anything about MAC's, but you can get a PC one here. Triton Controller
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/pryer/

Quote:
4) Has anyone tried Stephen Kay's Karma Triton software? Its no cheapie at $400.00. Will I be able to get a good guitar sample library from somewhere and use Karma to create realistic strums?

Download the demo version and try it yourself. It's an insane program, highly recommended. As for a good Guitar Library. Check out http://www.spectrasonics.net/libraries/hzguitar2.php

It's really good !!!!

Hope all that helps.
Congratulation on your purchase of the Triton Extreme. I'm one of the sounds designers who worked on the factory sounds for KORG at the time.

Regards.
Sharp.
tritonlover2000

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations Sharp! I know you won't reveal to me which sounds you programmed Very Happy but I love most of them!

Whats a good tutorial for sound programming?

I will check out the links for sound libraries. I'm from USA btw.
jojo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought a Triton Extreme Reply with quote

tritonlover2000 wrote:
Hi, I just bought a Triton Extreme from Ebay and added a moss board, and I am amazed by the sound quality. I owned a Virus, .......and Korg's smoothness and fatness (expansive sound with presence) beats them all.

Did I really just see you slam one of the best virtual-analog synthesizers ever made? I mean don't get me started on the fact that the Triton Extreme uses an entirely different method of sound generation called sample-playback, which I'm sure you know with as many boards as you've owned.

Sample playback tends to suffer quite a bit from "thin," digital sounds. The Extreme (and they should have done this with the M3 and OASYS) certainly remedies the situation with the presence of it's 12AU7 Russian Bullet vacuum tube, but it's still no substitute for true VA. That's why I bought a microKORG.

I mean I will give you that Korg's sounds are simply the best in the industry overall. You just can't beat that Korg sound. However, for certain purposes, other manufacturers seem better suited. Take Novation for instance. Very good company for dance music. But Korg still beats them overall because well..It's like Moog (RIP!!). There's just something special about what Korg does.

So I agree to disagree to agree. lol

"How do you spell a good instrument? K O R G!"
Dr.InnoVation

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He was just giving his opinion on the subject he started, man sheesh.

Anyway welcome to the board Tritonlover, you will find a great deal of info here.
if you are looking for Guitar sounds shoot me a PM.
LivePsy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The TE factory sounds are amazing. But as soon as you try making a program yourself from scratch, it sounds thin and disappointing. That's because the factory presets are superbly done. You need to learn to become very good at synth programming to start sounding as good. This is not a put down, its a reflection of how good the presets are. I consider some of the factory programs of little use on their own, but exist because they were designed specially to work in a combination.

BTW Don't worry about the thin or flat sound ascribed to the M3. The TE is a buffet of ready-to-go sounds, the M3 is a canvas waiting for the same programming skills to fill it. Both are awesome but the TE has the instant wow factor.

Cheers,
B
tritonlover2000

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its all in the effects! I know. Btw, I think Virus is definitely one of the best VA synthesizers, however, it doesn't have the expansiveness or smoothness of a Korg synth. OFcourse it has its own character and deep synth architecture, so I know I can create matrix-like sounds easily on a Virus which I will find harder to duplicate on a Triton.

Also, I know the different types of synthesis, Jojo. I have used additive (Kawai K5000), samplers, effects processors, and hybrid digi-log synths since the 80's, so I know what I am talking. Sorry Jojo if you get offended by what I said, but Korg effects are 2nd to none. Also, I own an R3 and Radias rack (check my other thread), so I compared it directly to the Virus with similar programming, and the Virus sounds sharp and gritty while the Radias sounds smooth and a little 'phatter'. Some people prefer sharp and gritty sounds while others prefer smooth sounds.

Thats why Hollywood and other major studios prefer Triton as their staple (ofcourse an important reason its a workstation) and use Virus maybe as an addition.

I have tweaked sounds here and there (very familiar with synth architectures), however, I haven't really done much programming from scratch, that's why I was asking for a good guide.

Thanks to all who are supportive and make me welcome, that's what I need...not 'haha newbie you suck' type of know-it-alls.
Gargamel314
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Triton Extreme is probably the most finished product Korg ever produced. I take comfort in the fact i dont have to keep buying expansion boards to take this keyboard to its full potential for me. I think i spent a whole $10 on ebay for 96MB sample RAM, and that was it. I wish all of Korg's products were more complete. I remember buying a Korg N364 Workstation, and months later they released the N1 series keyboard with all that sample ROM on it... i was disappointed, as i looked at my N364 with the ugly piano sound and the limited multi-timbral abilities. Even as the M3 comes out it already has a number of expansions available (aka room for improvement). Tritonlover - I've been looking for quality sample libraries for my keyboard as well. I probably wont be buying into that one until the M5 Extreme or whatever the fully expanded version is comes out.

http://www.samash.com/catalog/categorysub.asp?CategorySubID=327&departmentid=3&sourcetype=categorysearch
This is a good retailer that has a big sample library to buy from, if you are willing to spend the money, otherwise check out the downloads section on this site, it's the best source of free Triton samples on the internet.

Why couldnt they have put a DECENT piano in the N364? how did that horrible 01/W piano last for 6 years of keyboard production?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton Extreme All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: