Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Playback distortion in Audition

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Computer Programmers – Software Developers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shrike
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:20 pm    Post subject: Playback distortion in Audition Reply with quote

I hope someone can clear this situation:

I have Audigy2 ZS and Adobe Audition, versions 2 and 3. Audigy2 ZS supports 24-bit Digital-to-Analog conversion during playback with sampling rates of 8, 11.025, 16, 22.05, 24, 32, 44.1, 48 and 96kHz in 7.1 mode and up to 192kHz in stereo mode and Analog to Digital conversion during recording in 8, 16 or 24-bit at sampling rates of 8, 11.025, 16, 22.05, 24, 32, 44.1, 48 and 96kHz.

My problem is this - when I record something in 96kHz at 32 bit stereo, I get a wave that plays back distorted, chopped and in one word terrible, when played in Audition, but plays OK in any other player (Winamp, WMP, Creative Media Source).

When I downsample this same wave (96kHz, 32 bit, stereo) to 48kHz, 32 bit, stereo, playback in Audition goes OK and everything is fine with the sound.

When I record in 48kHz, 32 bit, stereo, everything goes well, recording and playback, no distortion whatsoever.

Now, everything written above relates to both versions of Adobe Audition, 2 and 3.

So, if someone can explain me what am I doing wrong and why doesn't Audition plays back wave normally when all other players do, I would appreciate it very much.

Of course, it's very important for me to play back my waves in Audition for editing them, and I don't want to downsample them before editing, it's always better to edit them in higher quality and downsample later if needed.

Thanks in advance,

shrike
Lorenzo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmm can't say what's the problem but 1 Audigy isn't a good sound card, maybe it doesn't support so much work... 2 32 bit?! why? use 48 or 88 KHz and 24 bit to record, everything else is useless without a really goooooood audio device...
Regards, Lorenzo
shrike
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Audigy isn't a good sound card, maybe it doesn't support so much work...

Well, I would agree with you if those samples sampled at 98kHz,32bit,stereo, didn't work in other players, but they did. Only Adobe Audition, which created them, can't play them right. That's what puzzles me.

About recording in 96kHz,32bit, stereo:

it sort of "investment in future". I finally arranged a deal for superb accordion I will make samples of. Modern workstations support 48kHz,16bit,stereo samples, right? This goes for Triton, for M3, probably most of them.

Well, in two or three years or maybe sooner, workstations will support high quality samples, meaning 96kHz at 32 or 24 bit.

So, if I record them now in 48kHz at 16 or 32 bit (which works just fine), I will be able to use them on my Extreme. But that's it. One day when workstations will support higher quality samples, my samples will be outdated and not good enough.

That's why I want to record them in highest quality possible (considering my gear, that's 96kHz, 24 bit, but Adobe Audition let's you work in 32 bit internally, as you know, I'm sure). This way I'll have high quality samples on PC, and downsampled in my Extreme.

Anyone else worked with Audition? What could be causing distortion in playback?
Lorenzo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confused
maybe an investiment for the future... but ears will be the same... so even if the DVD with its 48KHz will become old, our ears won't be out of date eh eh eh! anyway I think that the 32 bit is only interpolation, actual bit rate is 24... so I don't think that there is a real reason to use 32 bit expecially using a card that can't give you such a quality...
Anyway I can understand your point of view so no problem at all in use as much quality as you can.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Computer Programmers – Software Developers All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: