Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can't hear Proteus 1 through the Korg M1?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Synths (General)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whatyadoin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:37 am    Post subject: Can't hear Proteus 1 through the Korg M1? Reply with quote

Hi there,

I have a Korg M1 and Proteus 1 with both the "Midi In and Out" running into a MOTU micro lite.

The audio outs are going into a mixer, as is my Mac Mini PPC audio out.

How do I hear the Proteus 1 - through the M1? I'm running Logic Studio 8.

I'd appreciate any advice - I'm still trying to learn midi.

Right now, the M1 global is set to:
Local On
Clock Internal
CH= 1

The Proteus 1 is set to:
Mix output: CH 1-16: P
Midi Mode: Omni ID: 1
Midi Mode Change: Enabled
Midi Overflow: Off
Midi Enable: CH 1-16: On
Preset Change: CH 1-16: On

Thank you for your help in advance and Happy New Year.
dave

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand what you mean by "How do I hear the Proteus 1 – through the M1?" But I'll assume you want to play the Proteus using the M1 as your controller keyboard.

First, the Proteus should be set to Multi mode, not Omni, and the M1 should be set to Local Control Off. Your connections for the M1 should be M1 MIDI Out to MicroLite MIDI In Port 1 and M1 MIDI In to MicroLite MIDI Out (also Port 1). The Proteus should be connected in the same manner except to Port 2 on the MicroLite.

Your MicroLite should have come with a disk containing MIDI drivers. I take it you have already installed these. Connect the MicroLite to the Mac with the USB cable.

Open Audio MIDI Setup in the Mac's Utilities folder. Click the MIDI Devices tab and you should see the MicroLite in the window with five sets of arrows along the bottom of the icon.

Click the "Add Device" button twice to add two new devices. Double-click on the first new device and use the pop-up menus to set the manufacturer to Korg and the model to M1. If you wish, you can change the name that appears in the Device Name field to whatever you want (this is the name that will appear in Logic's menus). Set the System Exclusive ID to 1.

Do the same with the second new device except set the manufacturer to E-mu and the model to the appropriate Proteus in the list. I'm not sure that the System Exclusive ID you quote for the Proteus (1) is correct. I own a Morpheus and an EIV and as far as I'm aware E-mu IDs are usually set to 0. You may wish to check your manual. At any rate, if you do set this to 0, make sure you also set the ID to 0 on the Proteus itself.

Now connect the down arrow on Port 1 of the MicroLite icon to the down arrow of the M1 icon and connect both up arrows in the same way (you do this by pressing on one of the arrows and dragging until your cursor touches the other arrow and a virtual wire appears connecting them). Do the same double connection for Port 2 of the MicroLite with the Proteus.

The idea here is that these virtual connections should mirror the real MIDI cable connections between the interface and your synths.

You can now quit Audio MIDI Setup – your new configuration is automatically saved. When you launch Logic you should now see your M1 and your Proteus available for use with 16 MIDI channels assigned to each. I'm afraid that's as far as I can go with you on Logic since I'm a Digital Performer user myself.

Good luck with it.

Kind regards.
whatyadoin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:32 am    Post subject: Thank you Reply with quote

Dave, thank you so much for your help. I really appreciate your time.

I will give this a try. Yes, I'm trying to "play/hear" the Proteus on the M1.

I don't have an audio interface - just the micro lite. Have to have the M1 set to "Local On" because I'm hearing everything through an old Mackie mixer.

I know, I have a lot to learn - but I'm having fun with it all.

Have a great New Year and thank you again! Very Happy
dave

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason for the Local Off setting is this: with Local On, the keys on the M1 are internally connected to the M1 sound engine. So, without any computer or MIDI connections, you'll get sound when you play the M1 connected to an amplifier/mixer. (With Local Off, the internal connection is broken and the M1 becomes two separate devices – a keyboard and a synth engine).

However, once you bring a software sequencer into it, things are different. Here's how: in your case, you have two different synths you want to play – the M1 and the Proteus. So you launch Logic and select, say, channel 1 on the Proteus.

With Local On, each time you hit a key you'll hear the Proteus – plus the M1 (because the keyboard is still internally connected to the M1's sound engine). If you select channel 1 of the M1 in Logic, you'll now hear the M1 – twice. Once because Logic is echoing back your keypresses to the M1's sound engine in order to play it, and once because your keyboard is still connected internally. So you're halving your polyphony on the M1, and everything you play on it will sound unpleasantly phased or flanged.

Local Off solves these problems. Of course, if you just want to play standalone, without bringing Logic into it, you'll need Local On to hear things. But once a sequencer enters the equation, if you're using a keyboard controller with a built-in sound engine, you must use Local Off.

You may have to check settings in Logic. Look for items named Echo Back or MIDI Thru or similar. For more on Local On/Off, see page 94 of your Logic 8 manual.

Kind regards.
whatyadoin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:39 am    Post subject: Thank you Dave Reply with quote

It worked - thank you so much for your additional help. I was able to hear the Proteus finally - like you said - and the M1 properly.

I'm getting mixed advice from others. You rock Smile

Have fun with your music!
dave

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My pleasure. Glad you got it all working.

Kind regards.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Synths (General) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: