Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Have you updated your Operating System Version?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton Extreme
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jackasspenguin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:44 pm    Post subject: Have you updated your Operating System Version? Reply with quote

Ok, I tried to update my TE from 1.0.3 to 1.0.5. I went through all the procedues that were required in the guide. I formatted the cf card and loaded the 6 files. I pressed locate and enter, turned on the machine and it went through the steps until I got a check sum error. I contacted Korg and they told me that my machine was broken and I should take it to a service center to be repaired. Very typical! Well, it's an 88 key, very heavey and I really don't want to pay someone hundreds of dollars and be without it for 3 months for something like this.

I would assume that there isn't anything wrong with my TE since I took my CF card with the files on it and walked into a Guitar Center and updated there 76 key TE. Same thing happend. I guess there TE is broken now and really should be taken into a repair facility to be repaired right? So, I guess what that tells me is either these files are incorrect or not compatible with my TE. Has anyone had any success updating there TE with this update? I'm really wanting to remedy this problem because I can't sell it in this condition nor can I play it. I'm really upset that Korg USA has put forth no effort what so ever to help me resolve this matter, not to mention it took them 10 days to reply to my email. Hopefully I can find some help here. So far, I've only had someone tell me that they weren't going to update there TE in fear the same thing will happen to them. I'd be happy to get the old verson and put that on the machine as long as it will work (1.0.3.) unfortunately this version wansn't available on there website.

Certainly I'm not the only person to have this problem. Thanks for any help!
Gargamel314
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

might it have been your card? i've heard they do fail from time to time, maybe formatting it caused a problem with the CF card. Did you try using a different CF card?
jackasspenguin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:29 am    Post subject: My CF card might be bad! Well I guess perhaps Reply with quote

Well, I guess that's something to try. Perhaps Korg could have suggested something like that at the least. The problem is now that my TE is down I cannot format a CF card! What I would need is to perhaps find someone here who has completed this task without a problem. If I bought a CF Card and sent it to someone who could put the files on it and test it with there TE to see if it works and send me the CF Card. Or, sell me there used CF Card with the known good configuration so to speak. I can't get any help from any repair facilities without taking my TE in and paying them to do this. Here again! There isn't anything wrong with the keyboard! Since I can't actually format the card I'm stuck in the water. I don't know where else to go. I can't go all over town trying to find a TE and format my new card. I called around! The only one I could find needs a new operating system now and is in the same condition mine is in.

I guess if someone reads this and is willing to help me out that would be great. I'll see If I can search and find someone who lives in Houston and perhaps get them to format my new card if I buy one. I would really hate to buy one, format it and it still not work! That would piss me off terribly!
I've never had any problems with the card I have now! I have no problem reading from or writing to it.

P.S. I went to the Korg.uk site and went through the entire process with what appears to be the sames files. So, I know that there isn't any discrepancies with the download.

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Nor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am really sorry to hear that you've such troubles. Well, let me help you, why not format teh CF using Windows XP FAT files system? Try to insert teh CF into your PC and format it using FAT not NTFS file system. And then try to put teh 6 files there and try again, I don't think that your gear is broken since it starts the reading proccess...Otherwise, even you hate to do that, buy a new CF card -SanDisk model- and try again!

I hope you can fix it, I wish you a good luck.

-Nor (Morocco)
The Encyclopedia of Jazz Theory for All Musicians
jackasspenguin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:50 pm    Post subject: I guess I'm the only person to update my Operating System Reply with quote

Evedently I'm the only persone who has attempted to update the operating system of the TE. I guess I may try and purchase a new CF Card. I'm seeing a few different types. So I guess I'd like to know exactly what CF Card has a successful track record. Ther are ultra 2 Extremes, and a few other models of Sandisk CF Cards available. Will any of these work? What should I get? What works? I guess since no one else has updated there operating system I'm just pissing in the wind again.

grrrrrrr
tritex4
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pay no mind to the speed of the card (Ultra this and that), as it won't make that much of a difference on the Triton.
Sandisk is a good brand to go with. Their standard card should work fine.

I just updated (again) for the sake of argument, using a Sandisk 512 Mb card, using just the plain card.
The card is actually a few years old.

Just in case the files got corrupted in the "download" process, you should download it again.

Don't format the card on the PC, as I used the Sandisk and A-Data cards and got "media type error" when I tried to update.
Go to your local music store and format the card on an Extreme if you can find one.

Upzip the folder. You may want to use Winzip.
All that's left is to copy the contents on to the "Extreme" formatted drive.

I've used a Sandisk 512 Mb, Lexar 1 Gb (4x) and an A-Data 4 Gb (120 x) card, with little or no problems.

You should try using the same "Extreme formatted" card, with newly downloaded, unzipped files.
Just copy the unzipped fies over the current ones.

Good Luck
LivePsy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tritex4 wrote:
Don't format the card on the PC, as I used the Sandisk and A-Data cards and got "media type error" when I tried to update.

This is quite right for larger cards. But if you can find a smaller card (64Mb works but you can update on an 8Mb CF card also) then it can be formatted on the PC as FAT and then you can update the TE. This process is not usually risky, it seems most likely that your unzipped files are corrupt, in which case stop damaging TE's that don't belong to you!

There's a good chance that the basic boot loader still works so you should be able to install 1.05 properly with a good image on a CF card.

Cheers,
B
jackasspenguin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:22 am    Post subject: I updated my TE. This is how I did it. Reply with quote

Well, someone suggested to me to format the card using my PC. I had allready formatted the card using a TE. I did the full format and of course it takes about 20 minutes to do that. Well, that didn't work.

So, I formatted using my laptop. Full format FAT not FAT 32. It took about 5 seconds to full format. This is a 1GB Dane CF Card!

I put the 6 files on the card and proceeded to insert it into the TE and
updated with out a hitch.

So, if anyone encounters this problem and call Korg's Tech Support and they tell you to take it into a service center to be repaired then hopefull this will help you save some time and money!

I knew if I messed with this long enough I would get it handled. Thanks to those who helped me get it figued out. That's what these user forums are all about.

I'm still very un impressed with the treatment that I got from Korg and there non interest in helping me with this problem regardless of wheather my gear is under warranty or not.

I'll give props to the manufactures who have been stellar and helped me with any problems I've ever had!

Peavey! they are great people to deal with. Never had a problem and never not been able to at least buy a schematic from them.

M Audio! Sent me out a chip fro free no questions asked. Midisport 8x8

MOTU! Very deligent. I think they earn the money they are paid to support there gear!

Dissapointing Tech Support!

Yamaha by far has the worst support department I have ever encountered

Korg! a very close second.

Line 6! The Suck too!

I payed a lot of money for this crap! So Did you! I'm an electronic technician by trade. When my gear breaks, I like the fact that peavey will deal with me so that I can keep my gear in functioning order. That's why I own peavey gear! I don't understand why these other manufacturers don't realize that they should keep there cusomers happy or at least take the time to deal with them without pointing them to the service center! Especially for something as stupid as updating an operating system. Seriously! thats messed up to put it nicely!

Thanks For Nothing Korg!
tritonlover2000

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandisk is definitely the best brand to go with, they actually invented the Compact Flash format. I personally know one of the founders, Sanjay Mehohtra, he's a cool cat.
Goom

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tritex4 wrote:
Pay no mind to the speed of the card (Ultra this and that), as it won't make that much of a difference on the Triton.

Really? Based on another post on this forum, I've been looking for a 4 GB Sandisk Extreme IV (supposedly faster than the others). The Ultras are much cheaper, but were slower according to the other post. Should I save my money then and go with the Ultra?

Thanks for any help on this.
tritex4
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When saving data to the cards, the Triton will save very quickly.
However transferring data is a different matter.
The Triton's hardware can't match the transfer rates of today's cards.
The Sandisk Extreme IV can achieve up to 40MB/sec sequential read and write speed.
The Triton doesn't allow a transfer rate that high. That I know for sure.

Yes, save your money.

It's like putting a Quad core processor in a PC.
Unless the hardware was made to utilize it, or revised to do so, it won't.
Goom

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. I guess I'll look for the basic version (cheapest) Sandisk card then. Thanks for the info.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton Extreme All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: