Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

kaoss 2 vs. 3 - and..

View previous topic :: View next topic  
groken

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:54 am    Post subject: kaoss 2 vs. 3 - and.. Reply with quote

i just discovered the koass pad... very nice. couple questions though before i buy..

is 3 basically 2, but more of a sampler? i already have a sampler, so i'm not really interested in it's sampling capabilities...

basically i want to plug my guitar/whatever into it, with my own effects, and screw with that pad.. can i boil it down to just that?

what do you think

should i get 2 or 3? the mini?

thank you
subVert

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you should probably get a KP2.

I think the sampler has the biggest advantage for any live performance situation where you don't have time to perfect a loop on the fly.

Since you just want the effects you don't need the sampler.

A mini might be an interesting choice if you wanted to tape it on to your guitar, but I really haven't looked into the capabilities of a mini.
SMK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the mini kp actually is a stripped down version of the KP3. It seems that the mini has all the same effects as the KP3 but does not have the sampling and motion playback abilities. Plus the KP3 is a very in depth open ended (can be constantly updated with newer software) control unit. You may want to consider the KP3 if you are in the market for a unique controller for your DAW software.

If you are just looking for effects then the mini KP is the way to go. Bare in mind that the sound quality is actually superior to that of the KP2.

As far as "taping" a Mini KP to your guitar...there's actually a little more that goes into it than that. One has to have a decent pre-amp of some sort that the guitar signal goes straight to then to the Mini KP and out to your other gear if you so choose. I have actually created a set-up that includes a special clamp on the kp to attach to guitar, so you wont ruin the body of your instrument.

I'll post pics soon....
groken

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

<-- anxious, almost-owner of the KP2. bought one off ebay last night..

Cool

i think i'll have it put into a guitar eventually.. there's a guy i know that could probably handle the job, or i may call around to the local shops.. cuz i know i'd flub that project up horrendously..

but just in case nobody'll touch it... does anyone know of a website/place that i can send the stuff to? i haven't been able to find anyone that confidently offers this service.. or at all for that matter.
SMK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

groken wrote:
<-- anxious, almost-owner of the KP2. bought one off ebay last night..

Cool

i think i'll have it put into a guitar eventually.. there's a guy i know that could probably handle the job, or i may call around to the local shops.. cuz i know i'd flub that project up horrendously..

but just in case nobody'll touch it... does anyone know of a website/place that i can send the stuff to? i haven't been able to find anyone that confidently offers this service.. or at all for that matter.

KP2 in the guitar eh???? Alrighty then.... well let's see first off even though that one guy on youtube has a kaoss pad 2 built into the guitar...it's only the touch pad, not the entire unit (the rest of it being tethered via a serial port cable). Most guitarists that have a kaoss pad attached have been using the mini kp. Also the mini kp has better sound quality.

So, no, there is no solid resource to help you install a full KP2 in the body of your guitar.
logic_user99

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The chaps at Manson guitars might be able to help you - they built all of Matthew Bellamy's (Muse) guitars.
groken

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SMK wrote:

KP2 in the guitar eh???? Alrighty then.... well let's see first off even though that one guy on youtube has a kaoss pad 2 built into the guitar...it's only the touch pad, not the entire unit (the rest of it being tethered via a serial port cable). Most guitarists that have a kaoss pad attached have been using the mini kp. Also the mini kp has better sound quality.

So, no, there is no solid resource to help you install a full KP2 in the body of your guitar.

Rolling Eyes
SMK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

groken wrote:
SMK wrote:

Rolling Eyes

well you can roll your eyes all you want. If you consider how much would go into building a KP2 in a guitar...to get it to run well is going to cost a pretty penny/ or pound in this case. At any rate I've only been aware of a lot of the Custom shops here in Hollywood, and most have told me about the pains and risk one would go through for a project like KP2 in guitar ( see I have been down this road 6 years ago). However it's cool to know about this guitar shop who actually succeeded in it. yes, learn something new everyday. My only concern is how well it works, power, that sort of thing.

With the mini KP you have the top sound quality (yes, better than the KP2) and it will be a so easy to have it built into you guitar by any custom shop.

Your question was about which device was better for your needs and honestly I tried to help out but giving you the best possible answer for what you were trying to do, the ease of installation which will give you the best price and finally what will give you the best sound.
John Carpenter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that the KP3 effects sound so much better than the KP2 that I don't even use my KP2 anymore. I thought the KP2 sounded great until I heard the KP3, now I think the KP2 is tinny and thin. The KP3 also has an extra option of adjusting the delay trail level when you release your finger.
groken

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SMK wrote:
well you can roll your eyes all you want.

Rolling Eyes

John Carpenter wrote:
I think that the KP3 effects sound so much better than the KP2 that I don't even use my KP2 anymore. I thought the KP2 sounded great until I heard the KP3, now I think the KP2 is tinny and thin.

Rolling Eyes now i've gotta get a kp3 and sell my least favorite. i thought 3 was just 2, but with a sampler slapped in there.
Wacky
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg KAOSS All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: