Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

To Korg Reps: Are there any upcoming changes to the Oasys
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daz
Retired

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Miko is a great idea and if there were software plug-ins that made as sweet sounds as the Oasys software plug-ins I'd be using that instead in a flash (or running them on my Mac). Currently only Absynth really floats my boat in the software world. Even the Korg Legacy collection in it's software edition is not a touch on the Oasys versions, particularly the MS20 ... the MS20EX is so much better.

Hopefully Korg will put some effort into the software that hosts HD-1/EXi, it's just archaic. As it stands I personally wouldn't buy another Korg product if their beautiful noise making bits are hosted in this same olde environment, because it defeats the point totally and I'd rather sacrifice some sound sweetness for productivity. No point in having having a super advanced MS20EX which I can admire, but not actually use fully.

I am hopeful that NAMM will bring announcements of an Oasys update.

Daz.

Last edited by Daz on Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
TagPass

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Even the Korg Legacy collection in it's software edition is not a touch on the Oasys versions, particularly the MS20 ... the MS20EX is so much better.

You think so? In my side by side comparison I found no discernable difference sonically between the software versions and their Oasys counterparts. There are definitely some interface differences, and of course the additional mod routing capabilities on the Oasys MS20EX definitely come out on top. The Polysixes are identical.

I'm becoming less and less enamoured with softsynths in general, especially after spending the last few months on the O. Other than a few that I still use a lot (Korg Legacy MonoPoly, M1, and WS, and especially Waldorf Attack), I could pretty much do without the rest altogether. And I say that after several years of using mainly software to do everything. (Still need my soft samplers though!)
Daz
Retired

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TagPass wrote:
In my side by side comparison I found no discernable difference sonically between the software versions and their Oasys counterparts. There are definitely some interface differences, and of course the additional mod routing capabilities on the Oasys MS20EX definitely come out on top. The Polysixes are identical.

I was referring to those differences, which are substantial improvements and leave the VST/AU revs looking positively basic in comparison (I know they are more authentic). The Polysixes aren't really identical, the PolysixEX is far more capable in modulation terms too, with all the extra envelopes/LFO's that were added. I wouldn't be happy going back to the AU's after the EX versions. The same is true of the HD-1/Wavesequencing versus the Legacy Wavestation.

For me a good synth sounds good and offers a rich set of sound design features ... they are pretty much equally important in my world.

I have to agree with you re: soft synths. However as NI Massive has shown, when these companies can snag more CPU cycles the instruments start to sound a lot better. With the advent of new monster machines like the new Mac Pro's the VST/AU developers will have more CPU time available for richer algos and hopefully better sound. Assuming their engineers can create them. That's where Korg's engineers are winning at the moment IMHO, writing great sounding algos on a platform where they can use a lot of CPU time without worrying too much about a rich sequencer app or a large number of effects competing for the same CPU time.

Daz.
vEddY
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jayS wrote:
Neko, Neko, what to say? Wait, when did Neko become a synth?
Neko eminates thoughts of a laptop computer, audio interface, and quite nice midi controller in one box. For these things which I already own, I can attest that I payed quite a sum lower than that which would have purchased a Neko. Now either way we're going have to add the price of softsynths, sequencing/editing/recording/etc/ programs, some sort of sampling management (however you choose to do so) etc.

Neko is probably a fine machine as an idea, but pretty poorly concieved and executed. I had numerous conversations with these guys and in general, there IS something to this machine. But it needs to have a Korg sound quality touch and OASYS build quality to work. At this time, it lacks both. French have a nice expression for this - "comme ci, comme ca". It's mediocre at best. But it's not bad, or BS.

Just to follow-up on that, Yamaha and Steinberg are preparing some things for NAMM that will be pretty nice. Just had a very nice chat with them...
Personally? LPI. RHCE, RHCI, RHCX, RHCVA. MCITP 2008 certification done. MCITP Virtualization Administrator done. MCITP Exchange 2010 done. MCITP MS SQL 2008 done. MCT done. MCSE Server Infrastructure 2012, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSE:Messaging and MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure done. VCP5-DV done. VCI done. MCITP: Sharepoint 2010 Administrator done. VCP5-Cloud done. VCP5-DT done. VCAP5-DCA done. VCP6-DCV done.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
curvebender
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Just to follow-up on that, Yamaha and Steinberg are preparing some things for NAMM that will be pretty nice. Just had a very nice chat with them...

It's not this, is it?..

http://www.yamahasynth.com/products/kx/index.html
vEddY
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

curvebender wrote:

http://www.yamahasynth.com/products/kx/index.html

Nope. Although it is becoming pretty interesting, this Yamaha-Steinberg combination. Smile Roland should provide some surprises, too. Still haven't checked what's up with all the others...
Personally? LPI. RHCE, RHCI, RHCX, RHCVA. MCITP 2008 certification done. MCITP Virtualization Administrator done. MCITP Exchange 2010 done. MCITP MS SQL 2008 done. MCT done. MCSE Server Infrastructure 2012, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSE:Messaging and MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure done. VCP5-DV done. VCI done. MCITP: Sharepoint 2010 Administrator done. VCP5-Cloud done. VCP5-DT done. VCAP5-DCA done. VCP6-DCV done.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Voltan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it's this thing... http://www.xfactorvst.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Oasys All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: