Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg M3 Radias Board

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pjblues

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:49 am    Post subject: Korg M3 Radias Board Reply with quote

Where can I get the Radias board for my M3? My local GC does not stock them.

Secondly, I cannot sing a note on key. Will the vocoder have tones that I can just speak into and the tone comes out with a singing voice? I need help.

Should I buy something different?

Thanks.
Trinity2112
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:16 am    Post subject: Re: Korg M3 Radias Board Reply with quote

pjblues wrote:
Where can I get the Radias board for my M3? My local GC does not stock them.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=korg+EXB-radias&btnG=Google+Search
Current Korg Lineup: Kronos 61, Oasys 76 · M3-61/RADIAS · Trinity Plus/HDR · 01/WFD · 01R/W · X3R · M3R · Wavestation EX · Wavestation SR · Triton Rack/MOSS · Z1EX · TR-Rack · Karma · D3200 · iM1 · iWavestation · iMono/Poly
Other Synths: Berhinger Deepmind 12 · iProphet · Moog Model D
Dearly departed: X3
MartinHines
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I buy nearly all my stuff via mail order to avoid Sales Tax:
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EXBRadias

Just FYI, the M3 has a Vocoder effect already built in, if you were assuming you needed the EXB-Radias for Vocoding.. You just need to input a mic into your M3

Suggested Reading

1. Brief article on Vocoding
http://www.korg.com/service/downloadinfo.asp?DID=1137

2. M3 Parameter Guide pg. 515. Description of Vocoder effect and instructions

3. M3 Parameter Guide pg. 451 Talking Modulator -- this looks interesting

Last edited by MartinHines on Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Daz
Retired

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:54 am    Post subject: Re: Korg M3 Radias Board Reply with quote

pjblues wrote:

Secondly, I cannot sing a note on key. Will the vocoder have tones that I can just speak into and the tone comes out with a singing voice? I need help.

The Vocoder takes the formants and dynamics from your voice input and the pitch is driven by the synth itself, so an approximation of singing will do Wink It won't take speech and make it sound like singing, because it doesn't change the phrasing sufficiently. The results are generally more synthetic in nature, as with all vocoders, you might find one of the 'vocal processors' like the Roland VP-550 or Roland V-Synth GT worth a look too.

Daz.
pjblues

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:31 pm    Post subject: Great Info Reply with quote

Thanks so much, I really appreciate it. I plan on still purchasing the Radias board but will try the M3 vocoder as well. In fact I do have a V-Synth XT if I only knew how to use it. I bought it new and do not have 5 hours on it. Not being a true keyboard player I have a difficult time with it.
Daz
Retired

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crikey, you have an XT already ... get her switched into Vocal Designer mode, it's a very powerful vocal processor indeed !

Daz.
MartinHines
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Info Reply with quote

pjblues wrote:
In fact I do have a V-Synth XT if I only knew how to use it.

Product manuals are your friend.
xmlguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nahw, nahw, dawg. Vocoders ain 4 dat.

Ain got da pipes to hold a note?

Ya needs to be like T-Pain?

Gimme Autotune, boyeeee.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYiN2N_JADg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCTarel1flo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTwXJTxKqgc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-KTCFIW1iU

Wizard of Oz: Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
pjblues

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:15 pm    Post subject: Wow! Reply with quote

I cannot believe there is a device or VST that actually can do that much tone or pitch correction. I am going to have to look into getting something to make me be able to sing.

I am new to this recording stuff and I am an old dude, 56. I love music and just want to have a great time. It is a serious hobby for me so I need to be able to lay down some vocal tracks.

You folks really have the knowledge! I am going to crank up the vocoder in the M3, V-Synth XT, and look at the VST auto tune software.

Thanks so much for the help and links.
xmlguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A vocoder is designed to replace your voice with another instrument. It really isn't for what you want to do, unless you want to sing like a robot.

Autotune moves and stabilizes the pitch of your voice, not just to a nearby pitch, but to a specific pitch provided by a midi note track. So long as the melody is what you want to sing on the midi track, Autotune will modulate your voice to that exact pitch.

The unnatural pitch shift sound between notes is an intentional effect caused by setting the speed of the shift to 0. Setting a longer speed allows a more natural result.

A Vocal Harmonizer is also something you should look into. The Digitech Vocalist Live 2 and Vocalist Live 4 do excellent 2 or 4 part harmony, repectively. All you need to do is give it an instrument audio signal to track, and it will automatically detect the chord to use for the harmony voices. Check out the demos on YouTube. Some keyboards have a built-in Harmonizer. I have the Yamaha PSR-S900, which has a good harmonizer and can also do some pitch correction, not to the level of Auto-tune, but pretty well for a natural sounding voice.
pjblues

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:58 pm    Post subject: Great Information Reply with quote

That is fantastic information. Now I am getting it. So I downloaded an Antares software demo which was identified on Youtube as a great software to use for pitch correction. I am going to try it today to see what effect it has.

Thanks for the "heads-up" on the Vocal Harmonizer. As soon as I can get something that brings me in pitch then I want to add harmonies.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg M3 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: