Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg Hiss problem Continues months and months go by..
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Digital Recording and Mixing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
liquience

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd also like to know a little more about this. I'm a potential Zero8 buyer. Is this fix already in production? How long should I wait if I were to get one to guarantee that I won't get an affected unit?

A little more info about what the root problem was and the resolution would also be nice. I've always been a big fan of Korg products and I'd like to know for sure that this is been handled properly.
splurt

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just waiting for the mod.

if the mod is a complte fix itll be great

if it doesnt ELIMINATE the hiss

im afraid, the mixer has gotta go, i will sell it and take a loss

i am not interested in any hiss

all my other soundcards are silent.

this is really a HUGE problem, and well see what korg does.
jmctag

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

but when? its been ages now.
tablet

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People start selling it on ebay for 1300---->You Korg do something....
splurt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hopefully soon
zalo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

its march 7

any news yet?
DrannyV

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zalo wrote:
its march 7

any news yet?

Hey guyz,
over in the german forums they're discussing the same problem: http://foren.musik-meyer.net/korg/index.php?t=msg&th=4959&prevloaded=1&rid=&S=4e9dd1680cf6ffb4a77c0cc0be4a9cb7&rev=&reveal=&start=40&count=40

I dunno if any of you does speak german, but check the statement(s) from Jan@Korg about the process of analyzing the hiss problem, it's quite quaint what he says (or should I say fungous) ... sounds like he's not sure about what he's actually talking. .. He said he's in contact with KorgUSA.

You really have to check the info in the german thread. If none of you understands germany I might thranslate the important parts of it for you if you like to.

regards
DrannyV
DrannyV

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe some infos right now:

Users are asking why they have the hiss on the analog outputs ... while not having them on the digital SPDIF outputs ! It must have something to do with the DA-Converters. .... But Jan@Korg maunders something about 'exteme high signal volumes on the internal signal chain, bla.' and '..hiss has something to do with users individual monitoring setup'

And Jan@Korg says that they have found out that ALL Zero8 mixers have the hiss (problem). All defective mixers that were tested would have a SNR of min. 110dB ! But users say: 'We're not interested in bla bla, why can't this mixer simply be without hiss like other products of this genre, e.g. DJM800 ..'

cheers
DrannyV
Deft

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:27 pm    Post subject: ......... Reply with quote

I still think people are making a much bigger deal out of this than it really is.
This very low level noise relative to the noise of normal gain structure and pre-amps is nothing worth worrying about IMO.
People are straining to hear sounds which have no relationship to normal mixer usage.
zalo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:19 am    Post subject: Re: ......... Reply with quote

Deft wrote:
I still think people are making a much bigger deal out of this than it really is.
This very low level noise relative to the noise of normal gain structure and pre-amps is nothing worth worrying about IMO.
People are straining to hear sounds which have no relationship to normal mixer usage.

some are much worse than others
DrannyV

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I think I'm gonna buy a Zero8 and check it out for myself. My favorite shop gives a money back guaranty if you don't like the product.

Maybe it turns out for me the missing CUE and MASTER channel in I/O is quite a bigger deal.

cheers
DrannyV
Deft

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:11 pm    Post subject: ........ Reply with quote

If it makes people feel any better, I have a Mackie D4 Pro here which has exactly the same kind of noise at the outputs as the Zero 8, though it needs the master fader up to hear it - but considering the Zero 8 doesn't get noisier as you turn it up it is equivalent really.
I'm assuming it's the noise floor of the digital conversion steps etc.

I have to say the Mackie seems to have a much more full bass end to it - though not sure if I prefer the sound overall.
percy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deft, I think the same about the Zero 4. It sounds like my Vestax o7pro would do if the master was at full. I am used to playing with the amp on full and controlling the volume from the master on the mixer. I now only have the master on the mixer as loud as i am likely to need it. Its only really noticeable at home though & you certainly would never hear it over any music. I presume its a "digital thing".
percy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Deft, I also agree about the bass. I would love to hear it next to a DJM 800 as a comparison. Unfortunately with where im living at the moment that wasnt an option. Its only the second Digital mixer i have had. I had the urei 1601s before this and i hated the sound so much i had my 07 pro repaired & sold the urei at a huge loss.
splurt

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no, this hiss is unbearable, some of us are actually using this to record, and its an expensive mixer.

I cannot even work in the same room when its turned on

To be honest I think there is a bit of bullshit going around, I know korg is trying to figure out what to do

I own three FireWire interfaces, even the cheapest one sounds 1000 times better with no hiss

Its all bs, I didnt pay for a mixer that sounds like a toy

I have a degree in audio engineering, this mixer is f***ed up

I'm not buying any excuses, this mod better be good!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Digital Recording and Mixing All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: