Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hello, need advice.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ellll
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either as a beginner...or later, learn to READ well on the keyboard, pref. 88 key piano.....I filled on many inst. in small bands when needed, since teens....as a result of reading well...(AND..NOT being AFRAID to try!!!)

How could that be??? It IMPROVES the ear, when you relate to the keyboard mentally, and visualize...and the other instruments are good to play as well, as extras...and all this helps in composition, as you learn the value of theory/harmony studies, and even counterpoint of old, as a learning tool.

In addition should you decide on a degree program, as I did, you need to play more than one instrument well at many schools, and must have a background in "real" music... Confused , including theory, for the most part...

Keep at IT..ellll (John) Rolling Eyes
Ultimate Dj
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forced_Exposure wrote:
Yes, as with any skills really, this will mostly take hours of practice and dedication.

Very true indeed.

Hello Michael,
Welcome to the wonderful world of Korg!!! Very Happy I'm 17 years old and have been learning to play the Piano and keyboard for about three years now. I am blessed to have a father who is an expert musician! Very Happy So I learn so much from him. And naturally (boasting here Rolling Eyes lol) I am very musical. Laughing I am also blessed having the Korg Oasys and a Korg Karma! The karma is so awesome! I love it!
My two suggestions for u would b;
1) Listen to as much music as you can!!! On the radio on the internet anywhere and everywhere. And don't just listen to it but dissect it! Very Happy Figure out what their doing. The artist I listen to the most and I think are the best (this depends on what genre you like=)
Enigma (by far the best), Timbaland, James Blunt (excellent pianos), Gipsy Kings( Spanish but very good guitars), ATB, Moby.
2nd go to Youtube! Just search How To Piano or a specific song u want to learn and tons of stuff'll pop up! I learned so much this way. You can figure out what the Pros do and than using the same notes make your own song! Very Happy
Hope this help some! Good luck.
Forced_Exposure

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all your replies! I'm looking for a teacher near me!
Fatalmasterpiece

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, not sure if I am late to this or not. Here's my 2 cents as someone who also taught themselves and started late.

I wouldn't recommend buying anything expensive at all. You don't even know if you will like it yet hehe. Now, Korgs are great, I have one obviously and recommend anyone buying them, but for your first keyboard, I recommend something cheaper. IMO under 200 dollars, Yamahas are the best sounding keyboard. Get yourself something cheap that is simple and easy to play. That way, if you don't like it, whatever, and if you do, you get to start out on something very easy and can be kept around even after you replace it, for practice or just reference. If you have the money and want to get a great product, go ahead and start with a Korg LE or TR, they are really great. If you don't have so much money, theres my suggestion.

On teachers; A teacher is only going to show you how to practice correctly. 90% of learning to play the keys is just sitting there practicing by yourself. The teacher makes sure you start with the right habits and continue with them. They also make sure you challenge yourself and don't start lazy things like playing with one hand, as many new people do. However, like I said, it's mostly all up to you, so start practicing. You will be doing it alot hehe.

As far as learning to write music for yourself or a band. I recommend using a great program like Guitar Pro. It's cheap and I use it to write all my bands music. You can also download music from other artists and see how they wrote their work, which is a great way to learn how to structure music around each other, since you can see it all written down and play it back at the same time.
Ultimate Dj
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Fatalmasterpiece"]
I wouldn't recommend buying anything expensive at all. You don't even know if you will like it yet hehe. Now, Korgs are great, I have one obviously and recommend anyone buying them, but for your first keyboard, I recommend something cheaper. IMO under 200 dollars, Yamahas are the best sounding keyboard. Get yourself something cheap that is simple and easy to play. That way, if you don't like it, whatever, and if you do, you get to start out on something very easy and can be kept around even after you replace it, for practice or just reference. If you have the money and want to get a great product, go ahead and start with a Korg LE or TR, they are really great. If you don't have so much money, theres my suggestion. /quote]

I very much agree wit you! Very Happy Sams club sells a nice Yamaha. BUT Korg is the best company so what I would do is go on E-bay and find a Korg Karma! I saw one on there for 300$!!!!!! Or look on Criagslist.org! The Karma is an incredible instrument and for that price a Yamaha couldnt touch it Very Happy I thought about selling mine and had it on criagslist for a while than I played it so decided to keep it.
This a very, very,very good idea.If i may say so myself Laughing . I am a genuis! Idea Laughing Very Happy although I cannot convince any of family to believe it Rolling Eyes . Laughing

Pura Vida
DJ Cool
xmlguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are many kinds of keyboards, so the problem is figuring out which has the best features to match your needs. For beginners I recommend an inexpensive arranger keyboard. The Casio WK-110 is one that I own that is great for beginners. It is $200 or less, and includes an X-stand and A/C adapter. Yamaha isn't playing fair with their consumer models by not including the A/C adapter in the prices, turning what seemed to be a good deal into a bad one after discovering that fact.

Why an arranger keyboard? Because they:
can play back GM midi songs
have speakers built-in
have musical styles with auto-accompaniment and simple chord shortcuts
built-in lesson guided modes that wait until you hit the right notes
some have lighted keys to guide you
some have internet access with lessons online
some have scores for download
some can record songs in midi
Most newer models have a ton of good sound samples

The WK-110 has 76 keys, only one octave short of an 88, and is very lightweight for its size. I like the feel of the keyboard, which is much better than a Microkorg. Korg has arrangers too, but not in this price range. If you want to step up to a better arranger, look at Korg, Yamaha, and Roland.
ellll
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with much said by xmlGuy and all others..so why, oh why do I hold this ancient O1Wfd...? I have tried others..I have here at present three "designer" 'boards, inc a Yammie and a Casio wk 1800 and another Casio "composer" type.. The Yamaha, I do NOT understand at all, and refuse to use...

(The three besides the O1W allow me to mention a fire that resulted in my having these cheaper instruments...They were downstairs in a building, and just "trashy", but not damaged from the fire, and I ended up with them..I did lose much more in the fire...)

I have found that they are so UNLIKE, (as are other ones I have tried..) the O1Wfd, that they in some ways are unusable!! I have always found this, and as I am interested in notation far above effects/mastering/sound..I just don't know what to get in a new board, as it would HAVE to be workable, like the O1W to satisfy me...

The Casio in particular is so bad, and the disc drive so bad..I would need days to write even a simple song...and the edit option an ALL of these is SO BAD, it's like total darkness, to the O1W!!!

So just as I did 5 years ago..And never got a reasonable answer..I also ask "WHAT WOULD BE THE CLOSEST..to an O1W, for me to hear and >>>LEARN??<<<? Something SIMPLE..more for MUSIC..than messing with effects, etc....ANYONE willing to suggest..I am ready to try one...

John Rolling Eyes
Fatalmasterpiece

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Ultimate Dj"]
Fatalmasterpiece wrote:

I wouldn't recommend buying anything expensive at all. You don't even know if you will like it yet hehe. Now, Korgs are great, I have one obviously and recommend anyone buying them, but for your first keyboard, I recommend something cheaper. IMO under 200 dollars, Yamahas are the best sounding keyboard. Get yourself something cheap that is simple and easy to play. That way, if you don't like it, whatever, and if you do, you get to start out on something very easy and can be kept around even after you replace it, for practice or just reference. If you have the money and want to get a great product, go ahead and start with a Korg LE or TR, they are really great. If you don't have so much money, theres my suggestion. /quote]

I very much agree wit you! Very Happy Sams club sells a nice Yamaha. BUT Korg is the best company so what I would do is go on E-bay and find a Korg Karma! I saw one on there for 300$!!!!!! Or look on Criagslist.org! The Karma is an incredible instrument and for that price a Yamaha couldnt touch it Very Happy I thought about selling mine and had it on criagslist for a while than I played it so decided to keep it.
This a very, very,very good idea.If i may say so myself Laughing . I am a genuis! Idea Laughing Very Happy although I cannot convince any of family to believe it Rolling Eyes . Laughing

Pura Vida
DJ Cool

Yeah, if you can get a Korg that cheap, for sure go for it.

As far as Yamaha vs Casio, I got an adapter for my Yamaha at the local radio shack. It cost me 20 dollars. Not really a big deal.

Just go to any store like Guitar Center or Best Buy and try both out. In my opinion, you will find that the Yamaha blows away the sound quality of the Casio, and I think they always will on every model. I actually recorded the music for my band on a 61-key entry level Yamaha that cost me less than 200 dollars and you can hear it through the link in my signature. I haven't got the cahnge to rerecord all our songs with the Korg since our computer broke, but we will soon.

Try them both out, decide for yourself. Or, if you can find a Korg for cheap, better yet.
xmlguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fatalmasterpiece, have you actually heard the WK-110? Or have you based your opinion on some outdated model that's no longer relevant? The built-in speakers of the WK-110 aren't very good, so I'm referring to the sound quality of the engine with good headphones or external speakers. It sounds great with my Sennheiser HD 280 Pro.

My point about the A/C adapter isn't how expensive it is, it's that they've intentionally eliminated it from the product to deceive consumers into thinking that that their products are cheaper than they really are. Come on, how many customers are going to buy it expecting that it comes with an A/C adapter inside the box? 99.9999% of them.

When I was looking at the Yamaha portables at my local Guitar Center, the sales people couldn't find the right "survival pack" for it because there are different packs for different SKUs. They had survival packs for keyboards they didn't have, and they had keyboards with no packs. All because Yamaha unbunded an A/C adapter that nearly every customer expects in the box. I would have liked to try out the Yamaha portables that they had on display, but guess what....no A/C adapters. Prior sales staff or customers had taken all the A/C adapters of the display models.

Even worse, the Big Box retailer sales people send the customers on their way without the A/C adapter, because they have no clue that any manufacturer would be so stupid as to sell a consumer item that you can't plug-in and use right away. Causes lots of pissed customers coming back to the store, many of them to return the keyboard - not to buy an A/C adapter. Lots of pissed off parents when the kids find that the new Yamaha keyboard under the tree won't be usable until the stores open after Christmas. Stupid. Stupid. Stupid. Everyone at Yamaha involved in this decision should be fired.
Synthoid
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xmlguy wrote:
Causes lots of pissed customers coming back to the store, many of them to return the keyboard - not to buy an A/C adapter. Lots of pissed off parents when the kids find that the new Yamaha keyboard under the tree won't be usable until the stores open after Christmas. Stupid. Stupid. Stupid. Everyone at Yamaha involved in this decision should be fired.

Seems like a bad decision to me as well. A keyboard should be ready to use out of the box.

Fortunately, my only "low-end" Yammy keyboard purchase did include an adapter. The salesperson knew what to do before I left the store.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Music All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: