Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Radias + Virus
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SynthAntonius

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:00 pm    Post subject: Radias + Virus Reply with quote

Yep, it's an other topic about Virus TI...

Why? Because Access is about to release Virus TI snow (not a rumor, it's a fact, already saw it on the web) and basically it's a very affordable Virus TI in a small tabletop package (28cm/15cm) Don't ask me about the price...

I see there are lot's of Radias+Virus users here, and I was thinking about getting it - TI snow.

I have few questions - is it hard to compensate lack of real time controls? How? I guess PC editor will do it all... but what about live gig situation?
Why is it a good combination - Radias/Virus.
britindus

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive seen prices between 1600-1300 usd

do not expect this to be cheaper !!!

have a look at the waldorf Blofeld for cheaper

I dont think anything from access is "cheap" even if they say so!!!
SynthAntonius

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1600-1300 USB?
Considering taxes etc, Virus TI desktop goes @ 1600 euro, where I live, which is expensive.
It won't have any point buying Snow, with lack of controllers, for more than 900-1000 euro.

Btw - I will check this blofeld also. Seems like a powerful synth also...
Heh - only 400 euro... not bad....
Blofeld was derived from Waldorf Q, which is pretty expensive also..
So I still hope that Snow will be affordable - somewhere between 700-900 (IMHO cheap) euro... seems like a reasonable price... otherwise, they are just not reasonable Laughing
Timo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think whatever price it will be it's bound to be less than the TI rack.

But there's their full flagship TI sound engine in there, so it certainly wont be cheap.
SynthAntonius

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ofcourse it will be cheaper - but the question in - will it be a reasonable price.
1300-1500 euro is not a reasonable price, for something this small. It's basically the sound engine, without keys and all needed controls.
1000 euro, is the maximum what I would pay for it, but that's because I hear so much positive feedback about Virus from users. Seems like a must-have synth.
They said it's the smallest Virus ever, so I hope, it will be also the cheapest Virus ever Laughing

Besides - do they have something else? Beside TI flagship - and older Viruses.
Khazul

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Radias + Virus Reply with quote

SynthAntonius wrote:
I have few questions - is it hard to compensate lack of real time controls? How? I guess PC editor will do it all... but what about live gig situation?
Why is it a good combination - Radias/Virus.

For live use your going to be restricted to whatever 3 soft knobs have been setup for the patch (and of course standard performance controlls mod, pedals etc) - but those 3 knobs can be set to just about anything. As for general editing - the Virus Control is one of the easiest to use and most powerful synth editors I have come across for editing single mode patches. Shame its never supported multi mode which is what alot of us use live.

Personally the snow isnt really my thing - I do like and use the hardware control surface on my TI, but each to their own.

As for being a good combo - the virus is an excellent primary synth - and I find the radias to be a good backing synth for it - Ive just never found the radias to be a particularly convincing primary synth, but together they work well, each having significantly different sonic character.

--- The Studio & Noises ----- Adam G @ MySpace ---
SynthAntonius

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My primary synth or rather workstation, is Fantom x. But it's hard to make something decent sounding, on this thing, due the complexity of menus etc. I find creating my sound much easier on Radias - so Radias is a secondary synth already. I can't imagine using it as a primary synth...
I would like to have live control but Virus is just too expensive, I can't afford it. I've payed +-5000 euro just for FX and Radias already. And I'm still a student.

So for me, it would be very nice, to just have those Virus sounds, but for a lower price... but I will miss hardware controls also, I guess.

But I will see what I will do when it comes out - if it will have a reasonable price, I'll take it. Otherwise I'll take Blofeld. (which has endless encoders btw, it's very nice for live performances)

Snow is also nice, because it will fit perfectly on the front panel of my FX8. (Both Blofeld and Snow)
embry0

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suggested retail price is: €1100.- (Incl. 19% MwSt) / $1.350,00

could probably get one for around €1000 or even less.

--- i'm getting one! *happy*

Proud owner of >RADIAS-R+RDKB|microX|KP3
SynthAntonius

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you refer to Recommended Retail Price? (RRP)?

I don't know... it seems like they don't give much discount for Access stuff... For example RRP of Virus tabletop is only 90 higher than the actual price.

While, for example Mackie SR1521z has massive 700 euro discount!

What is this RRP anyway?
embry0

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here in Sweden the tabletop TI costs ~€1800 in the local shops, while the online-stores has a pricetag at around ~€1600, that's a €200 difference. The price is always very near the RRP when a new product is released or not yet released, it all depends on the market and the buyers. If there's a big interest, but this figure doesn't tend to the products being sold, there's a big chance that the price drops faster than expected even from companies that usually rape the consumers wallet. From my point of view this very product is meant to interest those consumers that weren't interested in the desktop model because the price wasn't right. So there's two possiblilies for Access, the first one is to lay back and see if the suggested price lure as many consumers as planned, if not, all they have to do is lowering the price, which ain't as easy all the time. Especially if the the parts that makes the product is high on cost. Untill the product is released the suggested & recommended retail price, which basically is the very same thing, will tend to be very unstable until march 30th, which is the "suggested" releasedate according to my favorite online-store http://www.playback-europe.com/access-virus_ti_snow-26251.html

Proud owner of >RADIAS-R+RDKB|microX|KP3

Last edited by embry0 on Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
LEVEL4

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a new VirusTI Polar for $2,350 USD ($500 discount off normal internet pricing). There's two blemished Polars on sale now at zzounds.com for only $2,199. I personally don't like modules all that much, and I really like that I'm all hardware for now (no DAW). Everything I own has its own keyboard. I like that. My theory is that, the more fussing about there is with controllers and computer crashes, the more creativity you give up.

I own the Virus, a Radias, and a V-Synth GT. My rompler of choice is a Fantom-X. I think the Virus and the Radias are HUGELY complementary machines. If I had to give up one of these synths, no question about it—it would be the GT that would go.
SynthAntonius

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like synths with keyboards also, but I have a lack of space, to be honest.
My FX8 and Radias-R&K are already big enough. And like I said, Virus will fit perfectly on FX8 (right from dynamic pad bank - just enough space for Snow)

And I just want Virus sounds, but don't want to pay the full price... that's all.
I don't like btw how TI and Polar look... Snow looks nice imo.

Lol, what's so bad about V-synth GT? Actually, it haven't won my sympathy.
And why are Virus and Radias complementary?

PS: The MusicStore in Germany always gives at least 100 euro discount (from the RRP)
LEVEL4

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SynthAntonius wrote:
I like synths with keyboards also, but I have a lack of space, to be honest. My FX8 and Radias-R&K are already big enough. And like I said, Virus will fit perfectly on FX8 . . . And I just want Virus sounds, but don't want to pay the full price . . .

Then the "Snow" sounds perfect for you! You'll LOVE those sick Virus sounds! I used to regret buying my Radias, now I LOVE it! The Radias is so "fizzy" and "bright." The Virus contrasts extremely well with it, being "dark" and "sick." You'll love the contrast. What controller do you plan to use to control the Snow? Let me know if you find a slick way to use your Fantom-X as a controller-only device for the Snow (I haven't yet).

The GT, I just don't like for whatever reason. It sounds to "Roland-ey" I guess. I bought it for mainly sampling and unique time-stretch capabilities, which I haven't yet even used.
Timo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SynthAntonius wrote:
And why are Virus and Radias complementary?

Virus = fat and dark
Radias = brighter and rawer (more digital sounding)
SynthAntonius

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, what you said earlier about all synths having keyboard...
For me - synths are passion... actually playing it is, I think, more important than getting the right sound (well, of course the results are important too), I was kinda happy when I heard about "affordable" Virus, but I don't think it will satisfy me... Rolling Eyes
The Virus keybed is "only" 2 times more expensive, but it will be a total satisfaction, if you know what I mean.
I think I'll just spare some money for keyboard version, or will wait till the new virus comes out, which will happen in a year or two, I think.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg RADIAS / R3 All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: