Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Adding Radias brain and other questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lifeinbalance

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:00 pm    Post subject: Adding Radias brain and other questions Reply with quote

This week I'm planning on purchasing a M3. I'm unsure which one to buy.
I already own a Radias with Keyboard.
So my question is this - If I go with the 73 key M3 can I un-attach the Radias "brain" and attach it to the M3 without additional hardware? This is a real simple question but the solution is still unclear to me. I realize that I'll need to upgrade the OS on the Radias for it to talk to the M3 but by doing so will this blank out or erase all of my custom and original patches?

I'm hopping to make this purchase right after the NAMM show this week.....
just in case there's any announcements of new up-grades.

Anything else I should know?
BTW I want to buy the M3 so that i won't have to rely so heavily on my mac powerbook (running "Live")during live gigs. I'm hopping to run a lot of the multi-tracked stuff from the M3.

Thanks for you help.
Steve
Life In Balance
http://lifeinbalancemusic.com
http://myspace.com/soundhealer
http://cdbaby.com/cd/lifeinbalance
Twiddler

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Radias module can be attached to the M73 (and M88), but you will need to purchase some additional hardware. You would need to get the "Tray option" *and* the "Hinge mechanism" (in the $15US each) to attach the Radias to the board.

I don't have the Radias module (just the EXB-Radias), but I have never seen an OS update from Korg that wiped out all of your custom patches. They also warn you to back up everything just in case something goes wrong (so, yes, I would recommend backing everything up), but I would be very surprised if you would be required to put everything back on.

When you attach the Radias module, you will also probably want a MIDI cable to run from the M3 module to the Radias (I don't think that you need both ways). If you just attach the proprietary keyboard wire to both the Radias and the M3 modules then both modules will act independently and sound notes together - probably not what you want unless you only power up one of the modules at any given time. By running the Radias through external MIDI from the M3 you can pass along KARMA output, etc. I assume that you can also control keyboard splits and the like. (I haven't tried this.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg M3 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: