Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Auto align please!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
matt_n

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:21 pm    Post subject: Auto align please! Reply with quote

If only there was an "auto align" function on the KP3, it would allow me to throw out all my other drum machines, sequencers etc. It's so frustrating!

I write music using a sequencer that runs on a Nintendo Gameboy cartridge called Nanoloop, which is used to make 16-step loops. Using a custom cable, Nanoloop can be slaved to a MIDI clock - I currently sync it to some drum machines for a "Gameboy and beats" sound.

Obviously I can make drum loops on my laptop then load them onto the KP3. Obviously I can set up the KP3 to output a MIDI clock and map the Start / Stop / Continue commands to the pads when in Ext Ctrl mode. However, there's no way of ensuring the loops are synchronised with the Gameboy - they have to be manually aligned by pressing "shift-align".

Ideally, the best function would be for the Start command to automatically re-trigger the Align, so the the MIDI clock and the loops are locked on right from the start. This must surely be quite an easy one to implement, so please please please could Korg make it happen? To me it's the difference between gigging with two bits of gear and gigging with five (as is currently the case!).

cheers
Matt
Zedius

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Are you saying you want to align the start point of the loop with a specific spot on the gameboy?

Have you updated the KP3 to OS 2.0? And have you set your loops to mode 3?

When you first buy the kp3, it just plays the loops repeatedly. When you press one of the 4 buttons, it will just jump into the loop at hard to predict points. If you update the OS, you should be able to set your loops to always trigger at the beginning.
matt_n

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Zedius,

Thanks for your reply!

I have experimented with Mode 3, and got better results than previously, but it's still not quite what I'm looking for - what I mean is that when you're in External Control mode, sending a "Start" command to MIDI gear, it would be nice if it automatically aligned at the same time - so that when my Gameboy starts playing a loop, the first beat of the KP3 loop plays at exactly the same time.

Using Mode 3, I can trigger a loop whenever I want, but it still relies on me hitting the button at exactly the right time (same as shift-align) - if I get it slightly wrong, the beats don't line up and it sounds rubbish!

Is that clearer? If anyone's got any advice I'd gratefully hear it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg KAOSS All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: