Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What's good for under $2500?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Synthesizers/Keyboards
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arctica

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:42 pm    Post subject: What's good for under $2500? Reply with quote

Well, I'm in the market for a new keyboard. I'd like to spend under $2500, preferably even under $2000, but I'd really like 76 keys (definitely not 88, but possibly 61 if I have no other option). I'm thinking a workstation along the Triton Extreme/M3/Motif/Roland X-series, etc. but I have no idea what I should be getting. I need a lot of patches for my work, which is quite varied, and possibly room to expand in the future.

Features that I need:
-as many patches as possible
-aftertouch
-preferably some other method of modulation besides just the joystick/wheels (i.e. ribbon, beam, etc.)
-reasonable synth action
-good performance/live control

Features that I'd like but aren't essential:
-drum pads
-touchscreen

That's the idea, more or less. Thanks for any attempts to pair me up with something suitable!! Laughing

David
Voltan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Triton Extreme has lots of good patches. M3 is much weaker in this aspect for now but there are more coming.
M3 has the best key action though.
They both feature a ribbon, aftertouch and a touch screen. Additionaly - M3's touchscreen can be used as a XY pad for more modulation.
In general - M3 is more powerful than the Triton, but the Extreme has a lot more patches out of the box.

I can't say much 'bout Roland or Yamaha, sorry. I believe neither of them has a touchscreen Wink
Arctica

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, yes...that's the one reason I don't really like the M3 as much, it just doesn't have enough patches to be attractive. Still, it's got some nice features, as you said.

Actually, what's new on my list of candidates is the Roland G-Series, coming out in April, I guess? That looks like it might be a winner. TONS of patches, pads, mouse (so no real worries about the touchscreen), all the good stuff. Bit pricey, though. Shocked
Voltan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

many more patches for the m3 are supposed to be available next month Smile
kimu
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

with your budget you can think about an Extreme (at least here in europe extreme is sold for quite low price after release of M3) add adding to it a good rack expander as M3 module or motif rack or V-synth XT
xmlguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you truly need a large number of patches, then perhaps you shouldn't buy any hardware besides midi controllers and use most of your budget to build up a large software synth/rompler library on your computer. That way you don't limit yourself to the patches available for only one manufacturer. If you happen to find that all the patches you need are available for one workstation, then you can consider buying it at that time with no big loss because the midi controllers and software will remain useful.
Arctica

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going the soft-synth route is an option, I suppose...but I wouldn't want to mess around with that stuff live, so I think I might be limited to hardware at this point. A workstation will probably be the most flexible...

Still, it's a thought.
Diego
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

I consider the M3 a very very good keyboard.
But after seeing Fantom G I think I'll wait for it before buying anything else.
BTW, the Triton Extreme is a great board...but nowdays if you can spend $2500 I think the best you can buy to fit your needs is the M3.

Regards

Korg M3 with EXB Radias & EXB-256 onboard
MOTU Traveler - iBook G4
Milter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kimu wrote:
with your budget you can think about an Extreme (at least here in europe extreme is sold for quite low price after release of M3) add adding to it a good rack expander as M3 module or motif rack or V-synth XT

Please let me know if you know exactly where in europe? I've been looking for a extreme (new and used) for a long time.

Sorry for going off-topic Rolling Eyes
Diego
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Milter!

I'm from Italy, and I can tell you that used Extreme are not so common...it's not that easy to find a good deal with a used 61 or 76 version.
On the new market side, you can find a TE61 for about 1700 euros. And if you consider that adding a 300 euros you can buy the M3, well, I would wait a few to save more money then buy the M3.

regards

MOTU Traveler - iBook G4
Milter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I might get a Trinity cheap, and wait for an extreme to be for sale in my area. Shipping from different countries are simply too expensive Sad

Arctica I think a good sollution for you could be several rack units from various suppliers. Like a Triton, Roland JV-xx, Kurzweil K2500 expanded and some Yamaha motif. I think you could get these units for a fair price. I see them on sale reguarly. This way you get a huge libary in all sorts of different sound philosofies. Korg always seems to be soft and smooth, while Roland is a bit more hard and punchy etc. All units can be expanded almost limitless.

Then buy a really good mother board like a Fatar (thats only my pref.).
Diego
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Racks and sound modules is for sure a good way to go!
BTW, I think that if you travel with your instruments, buy the lightest thing you can, you will thank yourself for that choice every time you move the keyb!

...Milter, where are you from?
Triton Extreme are not yet sold in your contry?

regards

MOTU Traveler - iBook G4
Milter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diego wrote:

...Milter, where are you from?
Triton Extreme are not yet sold in your contry?
regards

I'm from Denmark. Everybody removed the extreme since the M3 came Sad I'd rather have a triton 'cause I think the M3 is not good for stage - because the removable "module". I might be wrong.
Diego
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh, for the stage I love the Triton Extreme 76 w/MOSS, you have all you need under your fingers and you carry with you a quite light keyboard using not much space. Very good way to go...!

regards

MOTU Traveler - iBook G4
Arctica

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diego wrote:
Uh, for the stage I love the Triton Extreme 76 w/MOSS, you have all you need under your fingers and you carry with you a quite light keyboard using not much space. Very good way to go...!

I'd love to have one of those. They're soooo hard to find though.

I haven't really thought about racks. Isn't that a pretty expensive option? AFAIK, aren't they only a little less than full keyboards in terms of price?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Synthesizers/Keyboards All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: