Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ZERO8: Why does it keep stopping!?!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Digital Recording and Mixing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bctines

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:06 pm    Post subject: ZERO8: Why does it keep stopping!?! Reply with quote

This is very much a problem with my new ZERO8 and I don't see the remedy anywhere.

When I boot up the studio gear (HDDs, DAW-CPU, ZERO8, monitors in that order) often the ZERO8 will not process/sound/play an audio signal from the DAW, or from a CD player on another channel, or from any of three synths.

I can fix it by either rebooting everything, or by re-installing the Zero8 FW driver.

That's one problem.

The other is: I can do an hour or more of work and everything may work fine (for example tracking synths via ZERO8 into Logic. Then if I take a break to get some coffee and come back a few minutes later, the ZERO8 no longer processes the same audio source as before I took the break.

Yes, I can fix it by the same reboot or reinstall the FW driver. But this really bugs my clients when the meter's running. Even though I tell them I won't charge for the faulty ZERO8 time, they're also on the meter and get p----d standing around waiting 3-4 times during a two-hour session for me to get the *^%$ ZERO8 working again. I try to assuage their tempers, but they soon start bitching at KORG, and I've got to agree, unless it's something I'm doing wrong.

BTW, I've tried alternating the boot order and it doesn't help at all.

All software in the chain is the latest, except the Intel-MAC's OS, which is 10.4.11.

Anybody have any ideas what's going on? What am I doing wrong? Is it the brand of coffee? Or the wrong deodorant? Or, given everybody else's hassles, a seriously flawed product?

TIA,

BC
Deft

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:42 am    Post subject: ........ Reply with quote

On the Mac - do you have a Korg Firewire audio control panel which shows the sample rate you are running at?
The firewire keeps dropping out and I get constant ASIO streaming errors on my PC. If I open the Korg ASIO control panel and just click in the sample rate box and set it to the same value again it was previusly, it rights itself and the streaming state locks properly again.
Not a proper solution but will save you reinstalling drivers.
bctines

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Deft and thanks for the reply.

I wish it was that easy. I should have mentioned in my original post that I'd fussed with all the sampling rate possibilities, since that is briefly mentioned in the OM. No luck, though. And that's true for both my Mac and PCs.

I have everything set for 48 and all components seem to hold that setting without a problem.

Tonight I'm tearing my hair out because I can't get *anything* out of the Zero8 no matter what I try.

This is very definitely a seriously challenged mixer. I am supposed to deliver a job to an out of town client tomorrow that I'm now I'm forced to do on my old mixer, which at least works. When I get back I will contact Korg about this with a complete and comprehensive trouble report and see what their answer is.

Unless there is something stupidly simple that I'm not twigging, this machine is a dud, and I don't see anyone from Korg jumping in with helpful suggestions here like they do for our OASYS and M3 gear, other than that one message from James Sajeva.

And frankly, I'm quite surprised that he hasn't put up a more recent post updating us about what they're doing. It frankly feels like they don't care much about all our difficulties. The new OS helps a few things, but certainly doesn't fix the major ones, IMO.

I'm sure many of us would hang in and put up with some aggravation and delay if Korg would just show us some sort of support. This BBS is certainly the place to do it and I'm puzzled why they've been so quiet. It's almost like they have no interest in this new product and just put it out to preempt someone else for the ballyhoo.

The ZERO8's idea/concept is OK, actually pretty good in some ways, but it's implementation certainly isn't up to Korg's usually high standards, unfortunately. I'm afraid this'll give them (already has) a tarnished name in the DJ market, among others.

OK, done with the coffee break and the rant....back to work..

Tnx,
BC
screaminkeys

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Everyone,

A couple of updates.

Bctines - I've shared your post with some of our Engineers over at Korg Inc. and we are working to understand what may be causing that behavior. Also, as I understand it, a member of our Support Department is in contact with you. This will help us qualify further, so we can share more data with Korg Inc.

All - Again, I do thank you all for sharing your experiences on the Zero products. If you are in the USA, I also encourage you to send any feedback, issues, etc - in addition to posting here at the forum a - to support@korgusa.com. This way it gets looked at, discussed and distributed by many people at once.

The features in OS 1.5 were very much a result of the input we received from people like you, as is the hiss mod still scheduled for March. Granted some things may take longer than others, we are listening, as well as reacting.

Best,

James Sajeva
Product Manager for DJ, Dance and Computer Products @ Korg USA
bctines

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James,

Thank you for stepping in here. Yes, I'm awaiting live contact with your guy.

The weirdness of ZERO8 initialization (or lack of it) may be particularly mine, however, the matter of meters that do not seem to be registering anything is an issue expressed by several people here.

While there have been workarounds presented herein, and while the OS update does help some other issues, nobody from Korg has directly responded regarding the meters. This seems unlike Korg's usual active participation with other products and how helpful factory folks have been in other forums.

Given that the ZERO8 is a new product, and one that reflects a design departure (maybe evolution is a better way to put it), and given that the product seems niched towards a market that includes a large number of users with relatively new audio engineering chops, it would seem that Korg would want to do more towards easing this product's birth, such as a more proactive presence here.

Moving on--the OG does say that the VU meters reflect Master Output, but that's about all it says. And since so many users can hear their Master Output OK, but still can't see any movement of the meters, it would be helpful and useful if Korg would let us know why and how we can fix it.

Perhaps users do have to readjust their monitors, in addition to the revised ZERO8's input trim selection(s). However, as nothing has been written in any of the Operator Guide materials about this, or indeed even about how to set up the meters properly, the issue will continue for many of us until either Korg tells how to fix it or we do indeed discover we have defective product.

OTH, if the ZERO8 is slated for engineers with deep backgrounds only, then at least help out the rest of us with OG and/or forum info that includes at least some basic trouble-shooting beyond the minimalist stuff there now.

For example: on page 30 (in the English section),under the topic "No Sound" is the bullet copy "Make sure that audio is being input, use the level meter to verify that audio is being received into each mixer channel."

If the meters don't work, then how can one do that? A Catch-22.

If by meters, you mean the respective channel input-level LEDs, then the general term level meters is misleading. And the OG should go on to say something about what to do if indeed there is a signal at the channel input, we can hear audio out the Masters or Booth, but can't see any reaction from the meters.

In either case, for those of us who cannot get the meters to work properly, one would hope that Korg would keep us up-to-date on why, given that it seems a market-wide issue, at least here in KF.

Respectfully,
BC
screaminkeys

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi BC,

Understood.

1.5 refined the VU reaction on meters that were reacting to 'some' degree. I know your scenario (and others as well) is different; I only mention that so that it's understood that should have been some movement pre 1.5.

Under a scenario in which the Master is fully up (hence using your booth for your monitors) and channels are gained correctly, there should be movement. If they're in fact idle, and were always idle, then we must look elsewhere for the answer.

I'm going to take this and other correlating info and present it to Engineering and follow up. I'll point them to this forum as well. Let's keep the communication going. We'll do everything we're able to to uncover what is causing the meter issue.

James
Korg
bctines

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, James.

I appreciate the effort Korg is putting into this matter so far.

<<I know your scenario (and others as well) is different; I only mention that so that it's understood that should have been some movement pre 1.5. >>

Right, and there wasn't, but it'll get solved, I'm sure.

Quote:
I'll point them to this forum as well. Let's keep the communication going.

'preciate that. That's what keeps us users happy Korgers.

Thanks,

BC
Superchibisan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i do believe the drop out is relative to the firewire chipset in use. my zero 4 eventually stops working with my current firewire card, and it is defo a cheap one. it usually ends with a high pitched squeal if audio is currently in playback. it happened live and whilst perfect for the event, it was undesired operation...

im currently trying a new firewire card, but it seems that the card (TI chipset none the less) does not allow the zero4 to start the firewire transfer. so i am looking into other solutions and i have korgsupport on the issue as well.
bctines

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's interesting. Hope you'll let us know how it turns out.
teknojunkey

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:42 pm    Post subject: korg problems .... continued Reply with quote

just been looking at the posts here ...... grrrr if i had only seen this 2 weeks ago b4 i forked out all that cash i wouldnt look like an amature now.

On paper the zero8 is outstanding however here is a list of my problems in order of my noticing.

1 the cue level is not loud enough for club use.
2 intermitent audio failure from tracktor, this happened 4 times in 4 hours!
3 phono failure while djing with records! the korg decided to make a high pitched noise untill i pulled the plug.
4 for the last 1/2 hour the machine decided that it was going to play from teh right chanel only not in mono just from one channel.

korg zero 8, sennheiser hd25, tracktor 3.1, dell inspiron 9400 2gb ram.

dissapointed and thinking of returning.

ps whats with the forum dates?
zalo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you said that when you walk away for a little bit the zero8 stops functioning

in the owners manual on page 17 it talks about turning off the sleep setting and power management

its possible that your firewire might be shutting off when you walk away and no signals are sent for a given amount of time

this could cause a loss of sync and render it useless until you reinstall

which kicks the firewire back on from your computerside
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Digital Recording and Mixing All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: