Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Let's talk Timbre

View previous topic :: View next topic  
atiexpensive

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:13 am    Post subject: Let's talk Timbre Reply with quote

Is there a way to find out the number of TIMBRES the radias can hold at once?

Let's say 256 programs X 3 timbres = 768

Just being curious in getting an approximation. My next question is can
all TIMBRES be edited and saved effectively overwriting the factory presets? Correct?
rfoshaug

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Radias has 256 programs, each with up to 4 timbres each. That is a total of 1024 timbres that can be stored.

Yes, you can overwrite every program, including the presets.

Very Happy
pierreb

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:27 pm    Post subject: Timbre Reply with quote

Are timbres shareable among programs. Or is the program the container that defines it's timbres. Thanks.
meatballfulton

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timbres are sharable in the sense that you can send a program change message over MIDI to the Radias to switch in a timbre from another program.
rfoshaug

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, when creating a program, for each timbre you can either create that sound from scratch, or select any timbre from any program to copy into the timbre you're working on, to modify it or just to mix timbres from different programs into one new program.

I must say that I really like the timbre system on the Radias. Instead of having separate "Program" and "Combi" modes, both are the same and a program can contain just one timbre, or several (up to 4). It's a very flexible system.
bsp

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the timbre system a bit awkward at first but started loving it after a short time.
One really cool thing about the Radias is that you can change the timbre data really fast (if you connect it via USB MIDI).
While you are of course still "limited" to 4*2 FX units and certain timbre parameters --those which may be changed after sending a note on (e.g. filter cutoff)-- will affect all voices on a MIDI channel, you can do things
like "send timbre data", "send note-on", "send new timbre data", "send note-on" so that each voice will sound with different parameters.
By this and by using the Drumkit timbre as 16 separate mono timbres (all must share one effect unit, though), it is possible to even "circumvent" the "4 timbre" limitation.
This requires some clever MIDI programming, though but I find it really really cool that it *is* possible to do this, the Radias starts to feel like a super-soundchip all of a sudden Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg RADIAS / R3 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: