Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Groove tubes Ecc83 ... they came at last ......
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sarrova-Q

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right Reddone. Those black screws are not for balancing your EMX. I think they control the ratio of the compression or something else with the dynamics. I tried turning them but my balance was still off; the left channel is 1.5 dB louder than the right, but funny enough this was also the problem with my E-tribe right out the box so I don't really care. In fact you can't really here such a small difference (1.5dB). Thanks for the tip for changing those tubes, what a sound! (I also upgraded my ESX and its sounding much more 'pro' right now)
reddone

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah , what a sound indeed !!

Im sure you're expectations were probably beaten regarding the jump in sound qaulity in the same way i was blown away .

Whats also graet is that any thought of the mx having a plastic/toy synth sound are quickly forgotten , and the machine shows that its much more capable than ANYONE ever expected .

If this method of upgrading spreads far and wide i'll be happy that ive helped people get more from their box's . Ultimatly when i joined this site last year i wanted to help other mx users past problems ive came accros over 5 years , so its good to know that ive made a difference for you guys by jumping in and getting my baby re-tubed .

Enjoy my friend ... enjoy
h4ndcrafted

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.hotroxuk.com/store/erol.html

They a good choice for a smooth sound ?

here is the link for others that maybe good...

seem like nice prices for the uk
musikmachine

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

h4ndcrafted wrote:

They a good choice for a smooth sound ?

here is the link for others that maybe good...

seem like nice prices for the uk

They both link to the main site but you reminded me of where i got mine from. Thanks! I got the GT83s from there and i am very happy with them! Very Happy
shadowbunny

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got me the Groove Tubes GT-ECC83 Gold Series ones and put them in my ESX today (they were $20 each off eBay). I can notice a tremendous difference in the sound quality. I don't think I will even have to use extra mastering after recording the ESX now. I used to have to mess with the mids and highs after recording because they didn't sound right but now it's crystal clear. Also a lot of the synth and bass samples I put in there sound totally different now, but in a good way. I had sampled a lot of analog things and after it being sampled it screwed the quality up big time. Now it sounds like I'm really playing a TB-303 through the thing Smile I'm very happy.. Oh and the weird low hiss sound is gone. It's there for a few seconds right when I turn the ESX on but then it goes away completely. My ESX sounds louder than it did. Uh what else.. oh yeah..didn't even have to adjust any balancing, once the new tubes went in everything seems str8 now.

yay Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
musikmachine

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah i have to agree with that. I had tried out the GTs in the SX when i first got it but put them back in the MX. Your post gave me the incentive to try them again and it's a more subtle effect but i like it! I'm starting to look at the SX differently now though it does feel limited in terms of parts but i think it's a different workflow to the MX... Smile
Prime NL

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to tell you guys that i bought the ECC83S Gold Pin tubes from the JJ factory directly.

European users can order tubes at their site (sorry...didn't see any option for American buyers) and pay with a paypal acocount.

You can even add a test to the order so the tubes are checked and paired before they are shipped.

Believe me...the prices they use are the cheapest you can find on the net...and yes...duh...it should be like that when you buy straight from the JJ factory....Wink

Curious how these tube will sound in my MX....

Site : http://www.jjtubes.eu/

PS...and no....i am not a PR guy from JJ...
Milesy303

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks folks. Just bought a set of the JJ valves. My electribe is 4 years now nearly 5 years so its probably safe to assume I have valve problems. It sounds s**t just now, and there is problems with hissing, and panning on my main L/R outputs.
ElPat0

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi dudes, any of you could tell me if TAD Tubes EF86 / 6267 ('C' Svetlana) are Ok for the EMX?
Maybe too higher gain ´cause it´s pentode instead triode?
It´s seem to be clean and silent... (that site says "special for valve mics like Neuman´s"). I´d love a tube more clean than the included Electro-harmonix... (i mean at least in the lower frecuencies)

Would maybe go better with TAD Tubes 7025 HIGHGRADE?

Thanx in advance Wink
magiskakomplex

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prime NL wrote:
Just wanted to tell you guys that i bought the ECC83S Gold Pin tubes from the JJ factory directly.

European users can order tubes at their site (sorry...didn't see any option for American buyers) and pay with a paypal acocount.

You can even add a test to the order so the tubes are checked and paired before they are shipped.

Believe me...the prices they use are the cheapest you can find on the net...and yes...duh...it should be like that when you buy straight from the JJ factory....Wink

Curious how these tube will sound in my MX....

Site : http://www.jjtubes.eu/

PS...and no....i am not a PR guy from JJ...

Hey im thinking of upgrading the tubes on my ESX to JJ ECC803 S. I emailed JJtubes asking if they sell matched tubes because i couldnt find that info on their website. This is what they replied:

Quote:

Hello,
The ECC803S is double triode. JJ Electronic does not match this tubes.
It is technical nonsense to match ECC803 S. Only power tubes like EL34 are matched when they will be work as class B in amplifier circuit.

Im all new to tubes and dont really know what to reply to him; maybe he means ECC803S tubes normally dont need to be matched (but if matching tubes means they give about the same gain, it would be important to me on the esx). Whats the diffrence, why do you need to match "power tubes" but not "double triode"?

HEEELP Smile thanks
Ruso
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eurotubes.com will match tubes for you...

I think jj being the manufacturer primarily sells tubes in bulk to distributors... I don't see why they would want to match them....

Anyway, ya just grab em from eurotubes...

http://myspace.com/audioruso
magiskakomplex

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I emailed again:

"Sorry I dont really know what im doing here but, from what I understood is that a matched pair of tubes will give more equal gain to the signal. In my sampler there are two Tubes, one is one the Right-channel and one on the Left-channel so if the tubes differ much in sound it will be audible and I wont have any easy way to fix this.
I might have got this all wrong, thanks for helping me!"

He replied: "The tubes are in perfect quality (JJ Electronic is ISO 9001:2001 certified). Producer does not match them."

Seems like they dont test the tubes, not like the tube nerd at eurotubes showing off his gear and stuff on the webpage!

Eurotubes seems to be in the US, though i LOVE the webpage/guy Very Happy thats the kind of place where id want to spend my money.

Google only provided me with one shop in Europe that seems about right, http://www.machmat.com/sales/index.htm

If anyone happen to know another one please share!
YorkshireLad

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just ordered a pair of JJ Electronics Tube - Ecc803s from HOTROX here in the UK. I'll keep you updated on how they perform in the ESX.

My tubes seem really noisy even on fairly low levels.

-Fordy

Gear: Nord Wave, Korg Radias, Novation Supernova II, Roland V-Synth GT, Moog Voyager Select, Nord Lead A1, Arturia Spark LE, Arturia Spark LE, Behringer Virtualizer 3d (x2), Lexicon MX400.
YorkshireLad

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrived, fitted and absolutely awesome! A much cleaner sound with far less noise than the original EH tubes.

I needed to tweak the left/right balance though but finally got them to within a 1/10 of a decibel which is fine Dancing

-Fordy

Gear: Nord Wave, Korg Radias, Novation Supernova II, Roland V-Synth GT, Moog Voyager Select, Nord Lead A1, Arturia Spark LE, Arturia Spark LE, Behringer Virtualizer 3d (x2), Lexicon MX400.
DrHoo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is all good stuff !
I am influenced, i have just ordered new tubes from jj direct.
I can't use the tube gain on my mx because it simply causes unwanted hiss in my recording.
I really hope that the new tubes will ease the issue.

Results to follow after my full attention / review of the true difference.

Thanks to all for advise & info etc.. Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 10 of 12

Jump to: